Sponsored

General feedback on 2021+ 10R80 transmission / shift characteristics

If you have prior experience with the 10R80, does the 2021 improve shift feel and operation?

• Total voters

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
I thought I'd start a thread to see what people thought of the shift characteristics of the 10R80 in the 2021 F150.

My general feedback is that at nearly 300 miles, it's considerably improved from my prior 2018 F150 FX4 with the 3.5L and 10R80. Here's where I feel it excels:

1. Cold shift feel. Far less clunky feeling, especially the 3-4 shift.
2. Skip shifting is much more refined. Many times it doesn't skip gears and when it does, it's smoother.
3. No harsh engagements. On my 2018, it would slam into Drive sometimes when shifting from reverse or neutral.
4. Improved downshift feel. Smoother at moderate to high throttle, but also when coming to a stop during normal driving.
5. General shift feel seems improved. Many times I cannot tell the transmission has switched gears. I sometimes couldn't tell in my prior 2018, but most of the time I could.

The main improvement seems to be in gears 1-5 and general drivability. Above that, the feel is similar to that of my 2018, which wasn't bad. Sport mode is still a bit clunky feeling, but all other drive modes feel good. It's still not perfect, but far better than my experience with the 13th gen. The transmission was my personal biggest pet peeve about my prior 2018 and I'm glad they made such a noticeable improvement.

I do have the Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) version of the 10R80.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I can’t give an objective answer.
I’ve been driving sticks almost predominantly for about 40 yrs.

It does feel a bit weird to me (barely 300 miles) particularly when cold.
It feels like it is gear searching, but the indicator does not change.
Even warmed up feels a bit surgy but not nearly as pronounced.
I can’t really decide if this AT related, or new car related.
Maybe it’s still just trying to figure out what works for me

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I upgraded from A 6-speed 2011 F150, so the new one is like heaven.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
The 10 speed performs better than the one I had in my ‘18. I agree with the OP that the nasty 3-4 shift from the former is much improved with the 2021. That shift was my biggest gripe.

The 2021 upshifts through the gears very smoothly and precisely. I have no hard downshifts either, especially in Sport Mode. The old one was pretty harsh with the downshift while in that mode.

Overall, much improved!

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
This is my first F150, but I have to say the shifts are smooth as hell, and it rips up through the gear range pretty quickly, always staying in the optimal powerband.

Kinda glad this may have been a good year to get into the platform, aside from all of those first model year problems :cry:

Sponsored

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport
This is my first F150, but I have to say the shifts are smooth as hell, and it rips up through the gear range pretty quickly, always staying in the optimal powerband.

Kinda glad this may have been a good year to get into the platform, aside from all of those first model year problems :cry:
ANy first model year problems in particular you have experienced, or do you mean that there typically are first year problems in general?

Bigdflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302a Sport
Coming from two and a half years on a 2018 3.5 with 10r80 here. My current transmission has been good as far as shifting **BUT** huge annoying transmission whine when driving at slow speeds ie drive through line etc. SO freaking annoying! Please tell me the newer transmissions have this fixed. Truck on order so I have not experienced the transmission on a 2021 yet. Thanks!

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming from two and a half years on a 2018 3.5 with 10r80 here. My current transmission has been good as far as shifting **BUT** huge annoying transmission whine when driving at slow speeds ie drive through line etc. SO freaking annoying! Please tell me the newer transmissions have this fixed. Truck on order so I have not experienced the transmission on a 2021 yet. Thanks!
The 10R80 in my 2021 sounds pretty much exactly the same as my 2018 did. Still whines due to the offset pump.

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
ANy first model year problems in particular you have experienced, or do you mean that there typically are first year problems in general?
I bought a 2008 WRX which was another first year model that had problems too.

I just wasnt aware the 2021 f150 was such a change, that it was going to have issues.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
My 1-3 shift is hard no matter how light I’m on the gas. 8 shudders while accelerating through 55-65mph approximately.

Sponsored

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
I've noticed a bang and hard "catch" with the transmission. It's only happened about 4 times and it's always been when the truck wasn't under any acceleration load. It's bothering me though. It's as if the truck is gliding and then the transmission needs to go under load and bang. I'm sure if I take it to the shop at this point, they're not going to find anything so I'll have to keep my eye on it.

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
My 1-3 shift is hard no matter how light I’m on the gas. 8 shudders while accelerating through 55-65mph approximately.
I have the Power Boost and it skips 2nd gear when it hits third gear hard sometimes. Took it to the dealer and they noted it as an issue and were in touch with engineering for a fix. I first thought it was coincidental with going from electric to gas at the same time but it will do it in the gas mode as well.

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve noticed the harsher 1-3 gear shift too. It didn’t do it at first, but started around 500 miles.

ryken

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Sport; '19 Honda Odyssey
First truck for me, but my powerboost shifts considerably smoother than the 9-speed ZF in my Honda.

Chenko24

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 Ecobbost 3.5L tuned + performance mods
Occupation
Supervisor
Mine has the whine in the transmission. I'm pissed
Sponsored