First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, (2) Honda Accords, Toyota Celica
Occupation
Master Electrician
Thanks for giving this thread a read. I have been to a hand full of dealers and they can't answer the below two questions. I have also been searching the web and can't find the answer so I thought I would post it here and see if you all had any insight. I am purchasing a 2021 F150 Reg. Cab XLT with the short bed (6.5'). It will have the FX4 package, Plow package Tow Technology Package, and the 5.0 what I wanted to now is what size ring gear will this truck have in the rear end? The 8.8" or the 9.78" Also I'm a little confused with what the difference in between the Tow Package and the Tow Technology Package as I can't seem to option this specific model with the tow Package? Do I need both. I understand that there are options that aren't available on the reg. short bed truck but I wanted to make sure that I had the beefiest setup for towing that this model offers. Thanks
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
OP
OP

Evergreen

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, (2) Honda Accords, Toyota Celica
Occupation
Master Electrician
I don’t have all the answers, but the rear end gear size may be in the 2021 F-150 Technical Specs. that I posted a link to below.

As far as not being able to add the Tow Package to the truck, it may have something todo with the Snow Plow Prep package but I’m not certain.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2021/f150/pdfs/2021-F-150-Technical-Specs.pdf
Thank you for your reply and unfortunately the above attachment doesn't have the rear end ring gear size information.

I Just got done speaking with my dealer and they are looking into the differences between the tow package and the trailer technology package. There isn't anything at the moment from Ford that shows a difference in the two packages other than the tow package cost about 1K more. The dealer is saying that it maybe like the 2019's when they first came out. And you could choose the trailer hitch and wiring harness or you could pick the tow package that also offered the transmission cooler and that Ford hasn't put that in the description yet for the trailer package. As for the Ring gear size all we could find is that the truck I specked has a rated GAWR of 3,800 so it should or may not come with the 9.78 ring gear instead of the 8.8. the dealer said the 2021's are still to new for them to have all the answers. And that they won't have any on the lot till the end of the month. He suggested that a wait and see approach is best. Which I appreciate and will do unless someone else has found the answer.

superz

First Name
Zale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021f150RCSB;2016 Ecodiesel;2012 ISF; 66 Sting Ray
Occupation
Realtor
Thanks for giving this thread a read. I have been to a hand full of dealers and they can't answer the below two questions. I have also been searching the web and can't find the answer so I thought I would post it here and see if you all had any insight. I am purchasing a 2021 F150 Reg. Cab XLT with the short bed (6.5'). It will have the FX4 package, Plow package Tow Technology Package, and the 5.0 what I wanted to now is what size ring gear will this truck have in the rear end? The 8.8" or the 9.78" Also I'm a little confused with what the difference in between the Tow Package and the Tow Technology Package as I can't seem to option this specific model with the tow Package? Do I need both. I understand that there are options that aren't available on the reg. short bed truck but I wanted to make sure that I had the beefiest setup for towing that this model offers. Thanks
Did you get your truck yet? I ordered 1 like yours. Supposed to be built Jan. 28, 2021.
I ordered snow plow prep , then had dealer delete it because it deletes the electric front air dam.
I should have kept the snow plow prep because I had forgotten it gets you the 9.75 axle.

So now I get the 8.8 axle because I deleted the snow plow prep. (darn)
I saw perfect examples of both axles on you tube yesterday , a guy showing both rear ends and the differences. You can tell the difference just by looking at he rear end housing. 9.75 different shape and is a little lower to the ground.
Mine is antimatter blue, options similar to yours it seems. :)
Regards, Zale San Antonio
Sponsored