Sponsored

Gas Gauge Issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 1802
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 1802

My 2021 XLT has a gas gauge issue, the only thing that is remotely accurate is the miles driven since reset and a close MPG estimate. The rest of the information, miles to empty and the gas gauge is bogus, it never drops much past 1/4 full. The Ford dealer looked into it but said the "computer" said everything was AOK. Has anyone else experienced an issue? Going back shortly to sort things out. Thanks.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I just filled up this morning.
29 gallons
still had 7 gallons left according to tank size
miles to empty showed 67 miles ( at least 120 leaving a gallon @20mpg)
fuel gauge showed 1/8 tank.

currently showing 570 ish to empty on a full tank—-closer to 670 in reality.
but then I have been a bit spirited with this last tank.

True North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-125 Ford One Gallon Flush Toilet
My 2021 XLT has a gas gauge issue, the only thing that is remotely accurate is the miles driven since reset and a close MPG estimate. The rest of the information, miles to empty and the gas gauge is bogus, it never drops much past 1/4 full. The Ford dealer looked into it but said the "computer" said everything was AOK. Has anyone else experienced an issue? Going back shortly to sort things out. Thanks.
My 2021 has grossly inaccurate fuel gauges also and I got the same results as you taking it to the bought from dealer---nada. They don't know how to fix this and other problems even with a call to the factory. I`m selling the truck because of the factory blunders with it but please post what happens after your dealer visit. It`s sounding more and more like they put the small gas tank pump in my 36 gal tank from the mechanics I`ve talked to and what I`ve read. Good luck

Last edited:

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Anyone have any updates on this? I filled up this morning so the 35 miles till empty and after filling up apparently I have 6 gallons left. When I used to fill up my miles to empty would say 425+ miles till empty. Now it’s only 345 till empty on a full tank.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Just so you guys know, there isn't an issue with your truck. There is a 5 to 6 gallon reserve on the 36 gal trucks. Meaning, you will never put more than 29-31 gallons in. There's nothing wrong with your truck other than Ford made a poor choice because on the previous gen's the trucks wouldn't start on hills with the 36 gal tank.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/36-gallon-tank-reserve.1481/

Sponsored

Ebrou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 5.0L Sport 4x4
I have the 26 gallon fuel tank. 40 miles until empty, gauge was orange starting from around 56 miles until empty. I filled up and it only took 20.226 gallons. Once filled it now shows 345 miles until empty. I assume this is fords defaults on fuel tanks based on size.

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Just so you guys know, there isn't an issue with your truck. There is a 5 to 6 gallon reserve on the 36 gal trucks. Meaning, you will never put more than 29-31 gallons in. There's nothing wrong with your truck other than Ford made a poor choice because on the previous gen's the trucks wouldn't start on hills with the 36 gal tank.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/36-gallon-tank-reserve.1481/
I have a 36 gallon tank. On a recent trip I ran the tank down to a point that the gauge said 35 miles to empty. I put 32 gallons back into the tank. It usually shows about 640 miles to empty when I fill it up.

DPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 XLT
Ebrou, our xlt did the same thing. After fill up it kept reading 345 miles left and would fluctuate a mile or two. Wife parked vehicle overnight and said it showed roughly 600 miles to empty in the morning. The gas gauge still worked properly. It's only done it once. Maybe a bug in the software?

Bronze F150

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 502a Package
This past weekend I ran out of gas due to the inaccurate gas guage. It said I had 67km left to empty. I put in 30 dollars of gas via a jerry can and it still said 67km to empty - but it started. Dealership just reset the computer they said, and everything seemed fine. Pretty disappointing considering I have owned it less than a week when this happened.

dkt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f 150
Same issue Got a 36 gallon tank run miles to empty down to 8 miles and gauge read empty only got 31 gallon in it.

Sponsored

dkt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f 150
Dealer no help at all Says it got a reserve in it My question is wouldnt the reserve be calculate in the fuel milage

dkt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f 150
Same problem Did you find out the problem like to know

BlindSnapper

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 XLT
Has anyone had any luck addressing this? I drive it 100 miles before the gauge starts to go down. I have the following pop up.

Fuel level sensor “A” stuck.
code: P25B0

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
Don't remember who, but someone on YouTube tested the reserve out and depending on conditions was able to drive 150 miles after the gauge read empty. That certainly would lean more towards a massive reserve. Personally, with the 36 gallon tank I haven't let it get much past half full because in my head gas is cheaper that way haha. I did notice that after in town driving when I reset the MPG on a full tank, my range actually went up about 50 miles after driving about 60 on the highway. So it definitely doesn't immediately adjust the gauge based on MPG
Sponsored