First Name
cougar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
racer
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone knows a reputable garage door installer in the LA area?

I've currently got a 2 door garage which is just BARELY wide enough to fit my bronco into. I'd like to tear out the center column and replace the two doors with a single double door.

I've talked to the guys at **** depot and lesbi-lowes, neither of which seemed very knowledgable about such a thing.

I'm can do the tear-out and probably replace the door headers myself but would really like a pro to install the garage door.
Sponsored

OP
OP

cougarXR7

First Name
cougar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
racer
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone knows a reputable garage door installer in the LA area?

I've currently got a 2 door garage which is just BARELY wide enough to fit my bronco into. I'd like to tear out the center column and replace the two doors with a single double door.

I've talked to the guys at **** depot and lesbi-lowes garage door opener repair Virginia Beach, neither of which seemed very knowledgable about such a thing.

I'm can do the tear-out and probably replace the door headers myself but would really like a pro to install the garage door.
thanks in advance for any help

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning -Lariat ER, Model 3
Occupation
IT
No one would ever know until they look at your house. The key is - is that center column load bearing? Do you have separate headers above each door today (likely) or did someone go way overboard when the house was built and put a single header in across the whole span that can carry the load (doubtful) If so - what kind of new header is required to carry the load?

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Your going to WANT to have a structual engineer assist with this. Yes it can be done...as long as your willing to pay to have it done. The actual door is the easy part. Expect to pay 2-3 times the price of the door in engineering and labor. I would be willing to Bet you would need a new header to do this safely. Do you have the ceiling height to install the new header. Probably at least 12-14 inches in height for a 12 to 16 ft opening. The last thing you want is for the roof to come down on your new bronco.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
Are the ceiling or walls finished? Exposed studs will be easier for a contractor to review. Find a general contractor who can handle the complete job or you need a framer first, a garage door company second (not Lowes or Home Depot, check the yellow pages) and a siding guy.

Might be cheaper to move..

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
No one would ever know until they look at your house. The key is - is that center column load bearing? Do you have separate headers above each door today (likely) or did someone go way overboard when the house was built and put a single header in across the whole span that can carry the load (doubtful) If so - what kind of new header is required to carry the load?
This.

I wouldn’t have expected anyone at HD or Lowes to be able to professionally answer your question.
Sponsored