Sponsored

FX4 vs non-FX4 ride quality

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
I’m sorry if this has been brought up before, but has anyone test driven both of these on the 21? Would love to know the difference in ride quality. Thank you
Sponsored

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
Bump. Does anyone have any experience with this themselves?

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
No experience personally, but my salesperson said they ride quite a bit stiffer, to the point that some customers won't take an FX4 off the lot over a standard one.

Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
I too was concerned about ride quality before my purchase. Test drove about seven F-150's over a 9 month period, all with 4 wheel drive, with about a 50/50 split between FX4 and 4x4. Some were Platinums, Lariats, and XLT's. Some were V8's and regular 3.5 Ecoboost. In my opinion they all had about the same ride quality, but it should be noted that I didn't do anything too extreme during the test drive other than speed bumps. I was pleasantly surprised how close the ride quality the leaf springs are on the 2021 F150's compared to regular passenger sedan's that have coil springs.

I also test drove a 2021 Ram Limited, which has rear coil springs - just to try see what all the hype was on these trucks having coil springs in the rear instead of leaf springs. I didn't notice any difference compared to the F150 leaf spring system on regular roads and over speed bumps, which will be about 99.7% of my driving.

Full disclosure, I bought a XLT 302A, Powerboost, FX4 with 18" sport wheels that I think is better for off road, and it came with the max tow package. The ride quality is excellent.

Last edited:

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
I had a bit of a different experience....

Had to hire/rent a basic XLT F150 from Enterprise for a few months.... absolutely hated it. Rocked and rolled over anything larger than a pencil sized bump on the road. Felt like I was driving a battleship around a corner and bounced 4 or 5 times AFTER the bump was gone etc etc....

Was a GM guy and particularly wanted a RAM 1500.... Being from O/S I only qualified for a Ford..... so I resisted it and tried everything possible to avoid one. My wife said go and test drive one of the new models with all the options you want.... "you never know, you might LIKE it!" she said......

After more gnashing of teeth I did.... with the FX4, tow package, V8, big wheels, lariat etc..... I was sold.....

Ordered it and LOVE the ride. It's firm enough yet pliant over bumps and even though there's more body roll than I would like, it doesn't porpoise and is a way better handling truck IMHO....

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
I had a bit of a different experience....

Had to hire/rent a basic XLT F150 from Enterprise for a few months.... absolutely hated it. Rocked and rolled over anything larger than a pencil sized bump on the road. Felt like I was driving a battleship around a corner and bounced 4 or 5 times AFTER the bump was gone etc etc....

Was a GM guy and particularly wanted a RAM 1500.... Being from O/S I only qualified for a Ford..... so I resisted it and tried everything possible to avoid one. My wife said go and test drive one of the new models with all the options you want.... "you never know, you might LIKE it!" she said......

After more gnashing of teeth I did.... with the FX4, tow package, V8, big wheels, lariat etc..... I was sold.....

Ordered it and LOVE the ride. It's firm enough yet pliant over bumps and even though there's more body roll than I would like, it doesn't porpoise and is a way better handling truck IMHO....
Thank you for your response. Wait so the XLT that you hated- was that an FX4? Was that a 2021?

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Thank you for your response. Wait so the XLT that you hated- was that an FX4? Was that a 2021?
No, it was a 2020 bog stock 2wd. Seats were uncomfortable, rear end was so light it bounced and bounced and bounced after going over a dip at speed. Really atrocious.... Watch a lower spec F150 rear end after going over a couple of dips in the road.... you'll see it bounce quite a bit..... then watch an FX4...

Also noted how some F150's at lower spec the whole bed wobbles/twists over bumps...

For me, FX4 and tow pack meant the suspension changes made it much nicer to drive and being a Lariat the seats were way more comfortable. Feels a more solid truck to drive.... Have done quite a few long 8hr + trips non stop no problems.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Sponsored

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
No, it was a 2020 bog stock 2wd. Seats were uncomfortable, rear end was so light it bounced and bounced and bounced after going over a dip at speed. Really atrocious.... Watch a lower spec F150 rear end after going over a couple of dips in the road.... you'll see it bounce quite a bit..... then watch an FX4...

Also noted how some F150's at lower spec the whole bed wobbles/twists over bumps...

For me, FX4 and tow pack meant the suspension changes made it much nicer to drive and being a Lariat the seats were way more comfortable. Feels a more solid truck to drive.... Have done quite a few long 8hr + trips non stop no problems.

Just my 2 cents worth....
Ah that makes sense. Very helpful thank you for your reply ?

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Same experience here. I couldn’t tell any difference with city driving.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
Thanks y’all. Y’all are helping me out a lot
Sponsored