Funny noise?

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
We are on vacation in Colorado, going over mountain passes pulling about 4,000 pound trailer and 1500 pounds of payload.

every once in a while I hear a sound That sounds like a tiny dog whining. Maybe a little of a whoosh? I turned on turbo gauge and it looks like it is happening when I left off the gas. most noticeable was heading up, boost at maybe 15 psi then I let off the gas to go around a corner and as the boost drops to 5 psi I hear the dog whining.

any concern? Just an elevation thing?

3.5 ecoboost
Sponsored

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Blow Off Valve. Shouldn't be a problem.

JimboJames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4
Occupation
construction subcontractor
sorry for this dumb question but i have gone through the menus and never seen boost, how do you see that? i am with the full digital cluster

OP
OP

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
sorry for this dumb question but i have gone through the menus and never seen boost, how do you see that? i am with the full digital cluster
I’m not sure on the full digital cluster. On the 302 cluster we can change the middle 2 gauges for oil pressure, transmission temp and boost. Have to cycle through the options on the steering wheel and get to settings then configure gauges.

OP
OP

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blow Off Valve. Shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks. It was a little concerning at first but the more it happened and with no warning lights or ford pass app alerts I figured I’d just keep rolling.

Sponsored

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Thanks. It was a little concerning at first but the more it happened and with no warning lights or ford pass app alerts I figured I’d just keep rolling.
Most people here it when they gun it in first gear. Pulling a heavy load with boost pressure, needs some type of release.

Still, keep an eye on it, but as long as the vehicle doesn't go into limp mode or throws any errors, you should be fine. Even if it does, it may be a temporary thing. Doesn't hurt to carry around an obdII sensor. When my spark plugs were misfiring on my AMG, and CEL came on, the dealer didn't even tell me about it and just told me it was a gas cap warning and not to anything but Shell gas. When I looked at it myself, the cylinders misfired. But it only happened at around 5k once in 70k miles.

OP
OP

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most people here it when they gun it in first gear. Pulling a heavy load with boost pressure, needs some type of release.

Still, keep an eye on it, but as long as the vehicle doesn't go into limp mode or throws any errors, you should be fine. Even if it does, it may be a temporary thing. Doesn't hurt to carry around an obdII sensor. When my spark plugs were misfiring on my AMG, and CEL came on, the dealer didn't even tell me about it and just told me it was a gas cap warning and not to anything but Shell gas. When I looked at it myself, the cylinders misfired. But it only happened at around 5k once in 70k miles.
It was happening a lot. Twisty mountain roads. I’d say one day it was 50+ times that I noticed it. Driving same roads without the trailer and I’m not noticing it anymore. We are at our last campground at 9700’ and it’s all downhill from here this weekend so shouldn’t happen too much anymore.

will an OBDII reader show the number of times it happened? I’m not really pulling anywhere close to the tow limit but we have been pondering upsizing the trailer after this trip...

Here in Colorado the regular gas is only 85 octane so I’ve been using either mid grade or premium to make sure I have at least 87 octane. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

thanks
Sponsored