Sponsored

Fully Loaded Lariat vs Fully Loaded Platinum???

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
This is really disappointing payload... Is it possible to get an idea of how the vehicle is optioned? I know @DaHealey says that he looked it up but not sure how - as the owner is not listed anywhere (guessing this is a demo vehicle).

I am looking for exactly this type of vehicle but given the payload - I am dropping:
  • Moonroof - have not been interested in it anyway - hope they weigh 200 lbs :)
  • FX4 for 4x4
  • Spray in bedliner to go without a bed liner
  • Go without tonneau
But, I will need to add the tow mirrors. The above changes will save some weight but starting at 1251 lbs is quite a hole!
The VIN# is on the sticker. I found this link with a lot of garbage coding. Looks like it is a Canadian "Company Car". Feel free to try to parse this out.

https://shop.ford.com/aemservices/s...r/?partAttributes=BP2.*&vin=1FTFW1ED8MFA00308
Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Thanks - @05RubiconLJ ! It did not occur to me to look up through VIN.

Parsing out the JSON is the easy part. Making the head or tail out was where I failed... :) Here is what I found...

Platinum, SuperCrew®, 5-1/2' Box, 3.5L Power boost™ Full Hybrid V6 Engine, HEV Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission with Selectable Drive Modes, 4x4, 3.73 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio, Ford Co-Pilot360™ Active 2.0 Prep Package, FX4, Carmelo Unique Leather Multicontour Bucket Seats with Active Motion, 701A High, Trailer Tow Package, Bedliner – Tough Bed spray-in, 7.2kW – Pro Power Onboard, Twin Panel Moonroof

I am looking for something quite similar but
  • No moonroof
  • No FX4 - just 4x4
  • No Bed spray-in
  • But ... max trailer tow instead of trailer tow
But, even with all that - pessimistic about reaching even 1400 lbs in payload...

Mark Parault

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport
Occupation
Service Manager
I ordered my 2021 Fully Loaded Lariat about three weeks ago and I keep redoing the "build & price" online to compare the Lariat and the Platinum. I am maybe older school compared to some but I much prefer the chrome over the polished (I ordered agate black) so that is why I struggled to pull the trigger on the Platinum. Another thing, why do they do the Platinum tailgate badge like that? I really prefer the paint colored tailgate. With ordering the agate black truck I just couldn't get my head around the interior of the Platinum as black, but having the brown accent throughout. ALSO, I would have pulled the trigger on the Limited if they didn't have the ONLY option you could pick was the white/blue interior. Anybody else go back and forth on their decision with that? Any feedback to change my decision or even to make me feel like I made the right one. :)

Lariat Pros (for me):
Chrome
Black Painted Tailgate
About $3k savings when looking at MSRP (as I added about every option possible)

Lariat Cons (for me):
No massage seats

Platinum Pros (for me):
Massage Seats
Little more "upgraded' interior with additional badges

Platinum Cons (to me):
Interior color scheme not a great eye appeal
Polished Wheels
Tailgate Badge

Again, just striking conversation as I am impatiently waiting my VIN and estimated date and figured others have probably struggled with their decision as well :).
I went with the Fully Loaded Lariat because the sport package with no chrome.

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Why is everyone so freaked out over the payload ratings on your trucks. Do you get pulled over and checked often? Seriously, I don’t understand.
Thanks for your remarks on this subject.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I went with the Platinum for the seats. We tried King Ranch, Platinum and Limited and personally preferred the shape and feel of the Platinum.

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
I went with the Platinum because you can't get a Limted with the 6.5" bed.

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
I ordered my 2021 Fully Loaded Lariat about three weeks ago and I keep redoing the "build & price" online to compare the Lariat and the Platinum. I am maybe older school compared to some but I much prefer the chrome over the polished (I ordered agate black) so that is why I struggled to pull the trigger on the Platinum. Another thing, why do they do the Platinum tailgate badge like that? I really prefer the paint colored tailgate. With ordering the agate black truck I just couldn't get my head around the interior of the Platinum as black, but having the brown accent throughout. ALSO, I would have pulled the trigger on the Limited if they didn't have the ONLY option you could pick was the white/blue interior. Anybody else go back and forth on their decision with that? Any feedback to change my decision or even to make me feel like I made the right one. :)

Lariat Pros (for me):
Chrome
Black Painted Tailgate
About $3k savings when looking at MSRP (as I added about every option possible)

Lariat Cons (for me):
No massage seats

Platinum Pros (for me):
Massage Seats
Little more "upgraded' interior with additional badges

Platinum Cons (to me):
Interior color scheme not a great eye appeal
Polished Wheels
Tailgate Badge

Again, just striking conversation as I am impatiently waiting my VIN and estimated date and figured others have probably struggled with their decision as well :).
I went with the loaded Lariat for the exact reasons you mentioned, plus a couple more of my own:

• Don't like the chrome tailgate applique
  • Don't like the logo-embossed seats (platinum)
  • Don't like the admiral blue interior (limited)
  • Don't like "L I M I T E D" across the snout

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I went with the loaded Lariat for the exact reasons you mentioned, plus a couple more of my own:

• Don't like the chrome tailgate applique
  • Don't like the logo-embossed seats (platinum)
  • Don't like the admiral blue interior (limited)
  • Don't like "L I M I T E D" across the snout
All of the same reasons for me, plus I like the Sport look with no chrome.

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Why is everyone so freaked out over the payload ratings on your trucks. Do you get pulled over and checked often? Seriously, I don’t understand.
Thanks for your remarks on this subject.
Payload is important for a lot of people. If you go over your payload capacity it puts undue stress and wear on your engine, trans , suspension, everything. Think about it. Someone that has a 1100 pound payload. After the weight of 2 adults. 3 kids. You are already way over 60% capacity. That’s not including ANY gear. These numbers add up fast for a lot of us. So the payload number is important. Now for someone that rarely has others in the cab it really doesn’t matter. Cops aren’t going to pull you over and check if you are overweight for payload. Hope that puts it into perspective. Believe me I never thought about it either until I started having kids!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Payload is important for a lot of people. If you go over your payload capacity it puts undue stress and wear on your engine, trans , suspension, everything. Think about it. Someone that has a 1100 pound payload. After the weight of 2 adults. 3 kids. You are already way over 60% capacity. That’s not including ANY gear. These numbers add up fast for a lot of us. So the payload number is important. Now for someone that rarely has others in the cab it really doesn’t matter. Cops aren’t going to pull you over and check if you are overweight for payload. Hope that puts it into perspective. Believe me I never thought about it either until I started having kids!
I think Norris was being ironic... Last month he advised that half ton trucks should not get a 5th wheel and he won't sell them to 1/2 ton owners, even if payload is ok. Because the weight of the truck isn't safe (his words). I just assumed he was joking with this current post because everyone was proving his point about how marginal 1/2 tons are.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
My point is.....what are you going to do about it? Light trucks have been built this way forever and it’s never made anyone I know of fret and worry about it. They are much more capable today than previous models.
Buy a 3/4 ton if you need it.....that’ll up your payload!
A 1/2 ton is not built for heavy loads, but it will most definitely do what 99.9% of the people that are on this forum need it to do. Worrying about what a 50lb accessory will do to your payload total is, well, kind of ”over the top”.
Need an extra 150lbs of payload?......Don’t buy a moonroof.....wow, that’s crazy.
I really should keep my thoughts to myself I guess.?

You will not break your new truck if you go over your “payload” capacity a few hundred pounds.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
My point is.....what are you going to do about it? Light trucks have been built this way forever and it’s never made anyone I know of fret and worry about it. They are much more capable today than previous models.
Buy a 3/4 ton if you need it.....that’ll up your payload!
A 1/2 ton is not built for heavy loads, but it will most definitely do what 99.9% of the people that are on this forum need it to do. Worrying about what a 50lb accessory will do to your payload total is, well, kind of ”over the top”.
Need an extra 150lbs of payload?......Don’t buy a moonroof.....wow, that’s crazy.
I really should keep my thoughts to myself I guess.?

You will not break your new truck if you go over your “payload” capacity a few hundred pounds.
I think you have valuable input! I'm not one to sh!t on others for offering information. I know for a fact that an F250 f#$&in sucks to use as a daily driver in an urban area with a suburban house with tight garage. If you tow 3% and daily drive 97% of the time then you want an F150 and to get best weight optimized trailer you can. That's why we're all so interested in making the F150 work. I have one of the lightest trailers for its size and am optimizing weight distribution to make it work. And I will be shedding passengers in a few years (as they go to college). Hope to do some easy close by dry camping (with Propower) with no kids on some weekends and it should be pretty fun. I will never payload police anyone, do what you think is right for you.

Beernut0875

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F250 Platinum
I looked at the same things as it seems you did. I was also looking at the KR as well. For me the power running boards were something I really did not want, but they are standard on the Plat. I decided that they would be fine as my wife really needs them and they are lower for her then the fixed units.

‘Lariat thoughts
  • No massage seats
  • No Wireless charging
  • Slightly lesser materials on interior
  • Probably less resale even fully loaded than KR or Plat.

King Ranch
  • Has the running boards fixed not powered for certain builds
  • Interior is really nice (but I could not get used to the KR symbol everywhere)
  • Slightly more $$ than Plat when built out with all options i wanted

Plat (I ordered this)
  • Massage seats (wife will use every time in the truck)
  • Nicer interior than Lariat (I got the black)
  • Most of the features I wanted were standard, but I added everything I could have wanted and was about $1500 less than the KR I was building for comparison.
To be completely honest, I was going to wait on the 21 Raptor once I saw how much I would be spending anyhow. But the unknown timeline, and ultimately the desire for the 6.5’ bed made my decision. The silver tailgate on the Plat does not bother me and on certain colors it looks really nice, hopefully it will look good in person on the Carbonized grey.
Great points! I'm in the process of shopping as well. So hard to find a pplatty not alreay spoken for. One thing I did not like are the door panels of the Lariat. The inlays look like some iteration of cheap cardboard. Also, I don't think the tail lights on the Lariat are LED, but I could be wrong.
Sponsored