Sponsored

Fully Loaded Lariat vs Fully Loaded Platinum???

melthon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT BAP Carbonized Grey (Fully Loaded) 3.5
I ordered my 2021 Fully Loaded Lariat about three weeks ago and I keep redoing the "build & price" online to compare the Lariat and the Platinum. I am maybe older school compared to some but I much prefer the chrome over the polished (I ordered agate black) so that is why I struggled to pull the trigger on the Platinum. Another thing, why do they do the Platinum tailgate badge like that? I really prefer the paint colored tailgate. With ordering the agate black truck I just couldn't get my head around the interior of the Platinum as black, but having the brown accent throughout. ALSO, I would have pulled the trigger on the Limited if they didn't have the ONLY option you could pick was the white/blue interior. Anybody else go back and forth on their decision with that? Any feedback to change my decision or even to make me feel like I made the right one. :)

Lariat Pros (for me):
Chrome
Black Painted Tailgate
About $3k savings when looking at MSRP (as I added about every option possible)

Lariat Cons (for me):
No massage seats

Platinum Pros (for me):
Massage Seats
Little more "upgraded' interior with additional badges

Platinum Cons (to me):
Interior color scheme not a great eye appeal
Polished Wheels
Tailgate Badge

Again, just striking conversation as I am impatiently waiting my VIN and estimated date and figured others have probably struggled with their decision as well :).
Sponsored

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
I ordered my 2021 Fully Loaded Lariat about three weeks ago and I keep redoing the "build & price" online to compare the Lariat and the Platinum. I am maybe older school compared to some but I much prefer the chrome over the polished (I ordered agate black) so that is why I struggled to pull the trigger on the Platinum. Another thing, why do they do the Platinum tailgate badge like that? I really prefer the paint colored tailgate. With ordering the agate black truck I just couldn't get my head around the interior of the Platinum as black, but having the brown accent throughout. ALSO, I would have pulled the trigger on the Limited if they didn't have the ONLY option you could pick was the white/blue interior. Anybody else go back and forth on their decision with that? Any feedback to change my decision or even to make me feel like I made the right one. :)

Lariat Pros (for me):
Chrome
Black Painted Tailgate

Lariat Cons (for me):
No massage seats

Platinum Pros (for me):
Massage Seats

Platinum Cons (to me):
Polished Wheels
Tailgate Badge

Again, just striking conversation as I am impatiently waiting my VIN and estimated date and figured others have probably struggled with their decision as well :).
I ordered the Fully Loaded Lariat, I like that you can get 18” rims on the Lariat much better ride and better selection of tires when a new set is needed.

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
I looked at the same things as it seems you did. I was also looking at the KR as well. For me the power running boards were something I really did not want, but they are standard on the Plat. I decided that they would be fine as my wife really needs them and they are lower for her then the fixed units.

‘Lariat thoughts
  • No massage seats
  • No Wireless charging
  • Slightly lesser materials on interior
  • Probably less resale even fully loaded than KR or Plat.

King Ranch
  • Has the running boards fixed not powered for certain builds
  • Interior is really nice (but I could not get used to the KR symbol everywhere)
  • Slightly more $$ than Plat when built out with all options i wanted

Plat (I ordered this)
  • Massage seats (wife will use every time in the truck)
  • Nicer interior than Lariat (I got the black)
  • Most of the features I wanted were standard, but I added everything I could have wanted and was about $1500 less than the KR I was building for comparison.
To be completely honest, I was going to wait on the 21 Raptor once I saw how much I would be spending anyhow. But the unknown timeline, and ultimately the desire for the 6.5’ bed made my decision. The silver tailgate on the Plat does not bother me and on certain colors it looks really nice, hopefully it will look good in person on the Carbonized grey.

OP
OP
melthon

melthon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked at the same things as it seems you did. I was also looking at the KR as well. For me the power running boards were something I really did not want, but they are standard on the Plat. I decided that they would be fine as my wife really needs them and they are lower for her then the fixed units.

‘Lariat thoughts
  • No massage seats
  • No Wireless charging
  • Slightly lesser materials on interior
  • Probably less resale even fully loaded than KR or Plat.

King Ranch
  • Has the running boards fixed not powered for certain builds
  • Interior is really nice (but I could not get used to the KR symbol everywhere)
  • Slightly more $$ than Plat when built out with all options i wanted

Plat (I ordered this)
  • Massage seats (wife will use every time in the truck)
  • Nicer interior than Lariat (I got the black)
  • Most of the features I wanted were standard, but I added everything I could have wanted and was about $1500 less than the KR I was building for comparison.
To be completely honest, I was going to wait on the 21 Raptor once I saw how much I would be spending anyhow. But the unknown timeline, and ultimately the desire for the 6.5’ bed made my decision. The silver tailgate on the Plat does not bother me and on certain colors it looks really nice, hopefully it will look good in person on the Carbonized grey.

Thanks for the information. I should have read the fine print a little more as I missed that the Lariat didn't have the wireless charging pad. Probably not a big enough swing difference for me as this point but none the less, when you spend that much you would think in this technology day and age that would just be standard. I did add the deployable running boards as if they didn't have that I would have jumped to the Platinum. KR isn't bad, but with wanting a black truck the brown interior was a deal breaker. Again, thanks for the comments as it keeps my thoughts still going back and forth! :)

I NEEEED a f150

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX 2014

Lariat Pros (for me):
Chrome
Black Painted Tailgate

Lariat Cons (for me):
No massage seats

Platinum Pros (for me):
Massage Seats

Platinum Cons (to me):
Polished Wheels
Tailgate Badge

I am in the same boat deciding platinum vs lariat.

I wish platinum interior had all black. I also wish the platinum tailgate was paint color. I don’t really value the platinum power running boards, nor the 20 inch rims.

I do like that I could get max recline with platinum. And I don’t really love the lariat black seats.

decisions decisions. I am so picky / these trucks are so expensive I might just have to wait until they are on lots to see in person.

Sponsored

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
Isn't it a shame that FoMoCo won't just let us spec out exactly what we want and be done with it.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
A base Platinum is a better deal than a Loaded Lariat.

At the very minimum, one has to first start with a Lariat equipped with the 502A package and go from ther.

Last edited:

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
I would throw into the mix (a) the better resale of the Platinum somewhat offsets the $3k MSRP difference (b) having experienced the awful deterioration of the PVD Chrome on my '16 Lariat wheels, I would never have them again ... the polished aluminum wheels on the Platinum is a big +

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired

Lariat Pros (for me):
Chrome
Black Painted Tailgate

Lariat Cons (for me):
No massage seats

Platinum Pros (for me):
Massage Seats

Platinum Cons (to me):
Polished Wheels
Tailgate Badge

I learned long ago - a man's truck is his truck and I would never be critical of his decsion. I owned a 2016 Plat - & enjoyed it. Truth is long as it's a Ford - I'm all good with any truck decided.

OP
OP
melthon

melthon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I learned long ago - a man's truck is his truck and I would never be critical of his decsion. I owned a 2016 Plat - & enjoyed it. Truth is long as it's a Ford - I'm all good with any truck decided.
Great words as I have always and always will be a Ford guy. Whatever I end up doing I know I won't look back and will like it either way! Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150

Lariat Pros (for me):
Chrome
Black Painted Tailgate

Lariat Cons (for me):
No massage seats

Platinum Pros (for me):
Massage Seats

Platinum Cons (to me):
Polished Wheels
Tailgate Badge

I'm back and forth on the King Ranch/Platinum/Limited tailgate applique. I like it, but I like the body colored ones better. I have seen some aftermarket accessories that make can make the silver/aluminum finish on the tailgate whatever color you want. It really changes the look.

I'm have more of a modern or subtle and sporty taste so many of the chrome packages for the F-150s are not for me. I still recognize there is a big market for them, hence why Ford offers some some of chrome appearance package on every trim.

For me, I built out a fully loaded Lariat Sport. Wouldn't mind a Platty, but no Sport package. Probably doesn't make much sense, but I'd still like to see it.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is why the heck isn't the wireless charging at least available on my (near $70,000) vehicle. I'm certain little features like these will be available on the Lariat, and likely even the XLT in the future if not for the next model year.

Ford F-150 Fully Loaded Lariat vs Fully Loaded Platinum??? images

Ford F-150 Fully Loaded Lariat vs Fully Loaded Platinum??? Snapchat-4410190231491442869

Last edited:
OP
OP
melthon

melthon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm back and forth on the King Ranch/Platinum/Limited tailgate applique. I like it, but I like the body colored one better. I have seen some aftermarket accessories that make can make the silver/aluminium finish on the tailgate whatever color you want. It really changes the look.
Do you by chance have a link for any aftermarket websites that do this so I could check them out? Even if I have to look at the 2020 models for now just to see what they offer. Thanks in advance!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lack of wireless charging sucks as I mentioned, but I agree. I get too many things on the Lariat model that I want (color, Sport package) that I can't get on King Ranch/Platinum/Limited.

What I am contemplating doing is buying a wireless charger myself. The cubby area where the included charging pad under the front instrument panel (under the 12" screen and radio/climate control buttons) is pretty cavernous and has two USB ports. I'm thinking about getting a short USB cable, buying this charging pad, and laying it in the cubby. If I remember correctly, the way its laid out, I should be able to place the pad in the cubby, hook it up the the USB port, place my phone inside and have my own charging area.

Sounds good on paper, but we shall see!

Here is a link to the webpage for the device if anyone wants a closer look.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/the-hybrid-wireless-and-portable-charger/A1615011

Ford F-150 Fully Loaded Lariat vs Fully Loaded Platinum??? a1

Ford F-150 Fully Loaded Lariat vs Fully Loaded Platinum??? a2

Ford F-150 Fully Loaded Lariat vs Fully Loaded Platinum??? a4

MoSlick

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum 2018Mustang GT 2013 Cadillac SRX
Occupation
Retired Farmer

Lariat Pros (for me):
Chrome
Black Painted Tailgate

Lariat Cons (for me):
No massage seats

Platinum Pros (for me):
Massage Seats

Platinum Cons (to me):
Polished Wheels
Tailgate Badge

I had ordered a platinum first. Changed to a limited and after seeing the mpg on the power boost option I added the power boost. And I thought it was strange that the power boost option is cheaper according to what level truck you order. The power boost option on the limited is the cheapest on any truck.You cannot get the big fuel tank with the power boost and you really don’t need it.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you by chance have a link for any aftermarket websites that do this so I could check them out? Even if I have to look at the 2020 models for now just to see what they offer. Thanks in advance!

From what I researched, there is not one size fits all product that does it.

Apparently, most people have a body shop paint it for them, or try it in a do-it-yourself manner. It looks like (at least for gen. 13 F-150s) the rear "Platinum" tailgate applique is only held on by some 3M tape style adhesive, so it shouldn't be too hard to remove (famous last words!).
Sponsored