First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer
I noticed a cord hanging down from the wheel well on the rear driver side door. I was going to pull it out to just get rid of and all of a sudden the fuel filler door popped open. I read the manual and there is supposed to be a different tool in the jack and tool bag to manually release it but couldn’t find any mention of an emergency pull cord release. I find it very odd that anyone could pull a cord that isn’t secured in the wheel well and access the gas tank. Anyone else run into this? I’m sure it’s supposed to be there and just isn’t secured properly but was wondering if anyone else came across this as well. I have a Lariat 502A PowerBoost. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
The fuel filer release / lock is a power boost only feature and was put in as a part of the Safety system and not a anti-thief system. I believe that it makes sure that any pressure / vacuum in the gas tank is released before you can open the fuel door... Suspect somewhat due to the deletion of a vent that could "spill" gas around the battery and high power electrical system.....

RB82

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PB, 4X4, LB, Iconic Silver
Occupation
LE
I noticed a cord hanging down from the wheel well on the rear driver side door. I was going to pull it out to just get rid of and all of a sudden the fuel filler door popped open. I read the manual and there is supposed to be a different tool in the jack and tool bag to manually release it but couldn’t find any mention of an emergency pull cord release. I find it very odd that anyone could pull a cord that isn’t secured in the wheel well and access the gas tank. Anyone else run into this? I’m sure it’s supposed to be there and just isn’t secured properly but was wondering if anyone else came across this as well. I have a Lariat 502A PowerBoost. Thanks.
I just picked up my truck Sunday and noticed the string hanging yesterday. Did you figure it out??

OP
OP

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I just picked up my truck Sunday and noticed the string hanging yesterday. Did you figure it out??
It clearly is a manual by-pass to open the fuel door. I ended up tucking it back into the wheel well with a flat head screw driver so it won’t keep hanging down and annoying me/allow someone ready access to my fuel tank. But, I found no mention of it on any official Ford docs to date.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
True about the non-powerboost trucks: no gas cap or door release at all. You just open the door with your fingers and fuel up. Very convenient.

Sponsored

RB82

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
LE
It clearly is a manual by-pass to open the fuel door. I ended up tucking it back into the wheel well with a flat head screw driver so it won’t keep hanging down and annoying me/allow someone ready access to my fuel tank. But, I found no mention of it on any official Ford docs to date.
I sent a pic to my salesman and she had no idea, she asked her service manager and he had no idea, she told me to take it to my local Ford and let her know what it is. I said ok, gonna cost you $1k for that info since I didn't get shit for incentives lol.

redactedAlias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 powerboost platinum, 18 road king special
I sent a pic to my salesman and she had no idea, she asked her service manager and he had no idea, she told me to take it to my local Ford and let her know what it is. I said ok, gonna cost you $1k for that info since I didn't get shit for incentives lol.
Either one of you figure this out? Just happened to mine after the first wash. Don't see anywhere to tuck it back in. Thanks.

RB82

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
LE
Either one of you figure this out? Just happened to mine after the first wash. Don't see anywhere to tuck it back in. Thanks.
there is a really small indent on the metal inside the lip of the wheel well(exterior metal sheet) and I tucked the string and plastic knob on the end back into this gap and it falls down behind the metal. If needed, you can use a key or something like it to pull the string out and release the fuel door. I had to tuck it in twice, I think the plastic end helps it stay in the indent. Both times the string came out was when I was washing the inner wheel well at the car wash. You'll have to stick your head in the wheel well to see the indent. Lemme know if you can't find it and ill send a pic.

redactedAlias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 powerboost platinum, 18 road king special
there is a really small indent on the metal inside the lip of the wheel well(exterior metal sheet) and I tucked the string and plastic knob on the end back into this gap and it falls down behind the metal. If needed, you can use a key or something like it to pull the string out and release the fuel door. I had to tuck it in twice, I think the plastic end helps it stay in the indent. Both times the string came out was when I was washing the inner wheel well at the car wash. You'll have to stick your head in the wheel well to see the indent. Lemme know if you can't find it and ill send a pic.
I did the same. I was hoping this wasn't going to be a recurring car wash ritual. Maybe wheel well liners will help?

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Can someone please post a photo?

OP
OP

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Can someone please post a photo?
I’ve completely tucked the cord away into the wheel liner gap but if it falls out again, I will snap a photo.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I actually quickly looked for this today when washing my truck and couldn’t even find it.

RB82

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
LE
I did the same. I was hoping this wasn't going to be a recurring car wash ritual. Maybe wheel well liners will help?
I have wheel well liners. I’ve washed the truck four times and it only happened on the first two washes.

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150