Fuel Door Pin

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
We have the pleasure of having the only F-150's (to my knowledge) with the remote fuel door. About a month ago, I went to fill up and noticed the door was slightly ajar. I didn't think much of it, assuming I had hit the button accidentally at some point or it didn't close all the way on the last fuel stop (I was travelling, so I made a few stops that day).

I went to fuel the truck and the pump kept stopping. I quickly realized that it wasn't the pump that was the issue, but that the truck wasn't allowing fuel in. Long story short, if the release pin is engaged, it closes the overflow/breather tube on the fuel filler neck, which in turn makes it almost impossible to fuel up the truck.

Good news, the pin just snaps back into place inside the rubber boot. If this happens to you, it is not broken. It seems to be designed to break away, should there be an issue closing the filler door.

Bad news, or word of warning, if the pin is engaged, DO NOT hit the release button inside the truck with the fuel door open. It will shoot out of the hole like a patriot missile leaving the USS Ticonderoga. Close the door, hit the button, retrieve the pin and snap it back into place inside the boot.

Ford F-150 Fuel Door Pin Fuel Door 1

Ford F-150 Fuel Door Pin Fuel Door 2

Ford F-150 Fuel Door Pin Fuel Door 3
Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Had a similar issue on my Powerboost where the pin was pulled out of the door when the fuel hose caught on it. After my past experiences with this truck I assumed the worst (schedule a service visit, need a back-ordered part, etc, etc, etc) but guessed at which way was which and popped it back in. Success.

Good tip on not hitting the release button if it gets stuck truck side. Kind of makes me want to try it though just to see how far it will shoot. ;)

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Thanks for the PSA. That is good to know.

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
Mine has fallen apart several times. Luckily, I've found the pin on the ground each time and popped it back in. Its kind of a rinkydink setup, IMO.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Someone posted a 3D print model (STL g-code) to replace this fuel door pin (aka fuel door tappet.)

Can someone remind me where to find that 3D printable replacement, please?

ref:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198641-0001.pdf

1668819535569.png
Cant find any STL files out there. I did find where another forum member was working on this and made some but no STL's linked. However, @WillB17 at MegaOhm makes a billet replacement for the pin.

https://www.megaohmmotorsports.com/product/powerboost-billet-fuel-door-pin

z-man

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
Cant find any STL files out there. I did find where another forum member was working on this and made some but no STL's linked. However, @WillB17 at MegaOhm makes a billet replacement for the pin.

I received the billet one this week. Appears to be a quality piece. I haven't installed it yet though. I haven't had any issues with my OEM one yet, but my luck it'd happen in middle of the night away from home lol.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I received the billet one this week. Appears to be a quality piece. I haven't installed it yet though. I haven't had any issues with my OEM one yet, but my luck it'd happen in middle of the night away from home lol.
I know the feeling. That's why I went ahead and ordered one myself lol.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms

Thanks. I saw the billet machined pin. For $50 delivered, I'm motivated to at least try to print or hand make a pin. I imagine the Ford dealer will eventually figure out this is a warranty claim – not that $50 is out of the question for a new truck, but I'd like to try the DIY solution.
I lost the pin from my truck, so I don't have one to copy. I saw a post by someone mentioning they printed a couple of spares, but I can't find it and I've looked around thingiverse and printables but haven't found a shared STL.

col

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Pin popped out on my 21 first fuel stop after picking up the truck new. Just keep twisting it back in and each service replacement part is "on back order".

Had a similar issue on my Powerboost where the pin was pulled out of the door when the fuel hose caught on it. After my past experiences with this truck I assumed the worst (schedule a service visit, need a back-ordered part, etc, etc, etc) but guessed at which way was which and popped it back in. Success.

Good tip on not hitting the release button if it gets stuck truck side. Kind of makes me want to try it though just to see how far it will shoot. ;)

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I haven't had this problem yet but I think i would maybe try a small dab of silicone on the end when I reinstalled it. Maybe that would be enough to hold it in place. If not, there's good ol' Gorilla Glue.

GloverF150

First Name
Jerace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat
Glad I found this post. The second time I filled my PB it was not taking gas and had to go super slow and was like what is going on. Has been fine ever sense. It must have stuck in the truck not allowing the breather and then when I closed it must have snapped back into place. Is there any advantage to the billet one? Doesn’t it still attach the same?

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
Wait, some of these F150s have a locking fuel door?

I guess my loaded to the gills XL doesn't.

I was wondering if there was a way to lock it just in case?

Ford F-150 Fuel Door Pin 1000007996
Sponsored