Fuel consumption when using Pro Power

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I also learned that Gros Ventre is the name of an indigenous tribe in western Wyoming and the name, which means "big belly" in French is due to the hand sign for their tribe given to them by french traders.
...And of a beautiful mountain range within my view.
Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Over 60 hours with the trailer plugged into my PB during a typical college football weekend, I use approximately 7.745 gallons of gas. I never need the A/C. If the weekend was unusually hot, the gallons used would be greater of course.

The gallons used do not include any used from the when I get off the interstate at Salem, VA where I fill up, to when I fill up again Sunday morning after coming down Christiansburg mountain.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer

...And of a beautiful mountain range within my view.
I always assumed that you lived near the Gros Ventre River near Jackson. Beautiful location!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Over 60 hours with the trailer plugged into my PB during a typical college football weekend, I use approximately 7.745 gallons of gas. I never need the A/C. If the weekend was unusually hot, the gallons used would be greater of course.

The gallons used do not include any used from the when I get off the interstate at Salem, VA where I fill up, to when I fill up again Sunday morning after coming down Christiansburg mountain.
That's such a good use for the PB. No refilling a noisy generator until you just learn to do without because your tired of it droning on. Hoakie fan perhaps? Had a roommate in college from Heston, PA., and his cousin played defensive end for Virginia Tech back in the day. Great guys. I went to Texas A&M, so it was good to meet people from other places.

fwunder

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
I would be curious what a "baseline" ProPower fuel consumption would be. I consider "baseline" as AC off, Sync4 screen off, dash lights dimmed and Wifi ON.

First we need a way of determining SOC of HV battery. Can that be seen via OBDI?

Assuming SOC of HV battery is 100% and there is nothing plugged in.

From my limited observation, it seems the ICE startups in Pro Power mode are not just for the HV battery, but also for the 12 volt batteries. In other words, the HV system does not offer charge to the 12 volt batteries?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I would be curious what a "baseline" ProPower fuel consumption would be. I consider "baseline" as AC off, Sync4 screen off, dash lights dimmed and Wifi ON.

First we need a way of determining SOC of HV battery. Can that be seen via OBDI?

Assuming SOC of HV battery is 100% and there is nothing plugged in.

From my limited observation, it seems the ICE startups in Pro Power mode are not just for the HV battery, but also for the 12 volt batteries. In other words, the HV system does not offer charge to the 12 volt batteries?
No such thing as 100% SOC on the Hybrid battery.
Working range is ~63<>43%

At 63% ICE will turn off
At 43% ICE will turn on

About 20 minutes between charging events if there's no load on the generator.

ICE never needs to turn on for the 12V battery maintenance. There is no alternator. The 12V system is supplied power from the Hybrid Battery via a DC/DC converter. So I guess technically when ICE comes on to charge the HV battery, it is in order to maintain the 12V battery too. :)

OBD supports a lot of pids related to the 12V and HV systems.

By the way, the Sync screen is a very small load. In real life turning it on/off is difficult to see an impact.
HVAC is immediately verifiable via the OBD pid monitoring, but it's actually not bad if the ambients are extreme compared to what the inside temp setting is.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
That's such a good use for the PB. No refilling a noisy generator until you just learn to do without because your tired of it droning on. Hoakie fan perhaps? Had a roommate in college from Heston, PA., and his cousin played defensive end for Virginia Tech back in the day. Great guys. I went to Texas A&M, so it was good to meet people from other places.
Do you remember the cousin's name?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
No such thing as 100% SOC on the Hybrid battery.
Working range is ~63<>43%

At 63% ICE will turn off
At 43% ICE will turn on

About 20 minutes between charging events if there's no load on the generator.

ICE never needs to turn on for the 12V battery maintenance. There is no alternator. The 12V system is supplied power from the Hybrid Battery via a DC/DC converter. So I guess technically when ICE comes on to charge the HV battery, it is in order to maintain the 12V battery too. :)

OBD supports a lot of pids related to the 12V and HV systems.

By the way, the Sync screen is a very small load. In real life turning it on/off is difficult to see an impact.
HVAC is immediately verifiable via the OBD pid monitoring, but it's actually not bad if the ambients are extreme compared to what the inside temp setting is.
Withour knowing the programming for the inter-relation between the Starter generator and the hybrid HV to 12vdc unit cannot say which one is supplying the juice... But they surely work together!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Do you remember the cousin's name?
Rick Singleton
Rick Singleton
Ford F-150 Fuel consumption when using Pro Power football-player-silhouette

• Ford F-150 Fuel consumption when using Pro Power star
    Ford F-150 Fuel consumption when using Pro Power star
    Ford F-150 Fuel consumption when using Pro Power star
  • Defensive Tackle
  • Class of 1985
  • Taft, CA (Taft Junior College)
  • 6-5, 250 lbs
  • Ford F-150 Fuel consumption when using Pro Power vt_thumb50px

Sponsored

fwunder

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
I really don't understand the ProPower logic. SB, your data points are great help, but I still don't get it.

Today, I needed to buck and stack a few logs for next winter. Knowing it was going to be an all day project, I decided to do a little test. I put the truck in generator mode ( see it in pic below ) and made sure something was hooked up to truck WiFi. No load.

I started @ exactly 9:48 and 260 miles to empty and finished ( including cutting lawn and shower - TMI ) @ 5:48 and 248 miles to empty. 12 miles or roughly 1/2 gallon.

So, why is ICE even coming on at all? I can't imagine the modem is using much. When I ran my house for 12 hours, I used 28 miles. I just don't understand the logic.

SB, you have a lot more experience than me with your RV. Coming into camping season, I was really wondering if I could leave truck in generator mode all night with no load ( turn off 30 amp breaker ) and keep truck WiFi active. Is that still honoring "generator hours"? Most campgrounds we visit are well spaced and prolly no one would notice if ICE came on or not, but I'm just curious what your experiences are.

Ford F-150 Fuel consumption when using Pro Power IMG_6427

Ford F-150 Fuel consumption when using Pro Power IMG_6430

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Yes, a Hokie fan. Graduated back in 1969. At this point, it seems like 2 lifetimes ago.
Rick Singleton
Rick Singleton
football-player-silhouette.jpg

• star.png
    star.png
    star.png
  • Defensive Tackle
  • Class of 1985
  • Taft, CA (Taft Junior College)
  • 6-5, 250 lbs
  • vt_thumb50px.png
I remember him. 2 year letter man.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Yes, a Hokie fan. Graduated back in 1969. At this point, it seems like 2 lifetimes ago.

I remember him. 2 year letter man.
I think he went out to Taft Jr College to get his grades up and improve his play in order to sign, but I didn't meet Rick until he played for Va. Tech. Roger and I had fun taking him with us to our favorite watering holes around campus lol! Injured his neck with the Seahawks if I remember back.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SB, this might be a good time for your screenshot of the sim-less phone. (y)(y)
Lol
I was trying not to draw eyerolls from those of you that have seen those screenshots ad nauseum. 🙄🤣

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Withour knowing the programming for the inter-relation between the Starter generator and the hybrid HV to 12vdc unit cannot say which one is supplying the juice... But they surely work together!
But you can verify the whether the ICE is on or the ICE is off, the DC/DC converter is ALWAYS providing current to the 12V system.

So if what Ford calls on the Powerboost a BISG (Belt integrated Starter Generator) IS actually a generator, it doesn't ever appear to carry the burden of supplying 12V current on its lone.
Sponsored