Sponsored

Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau?

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
I have a Rugged Cover tri-fold hard cover. Very easy to remove and install. And I was very impressed when I went thru one of the hardest rain storms I have ever driven in...and the bed of my truck was as dry as powder.
Sponsored

Mountaineer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'03 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Environmental
I love my lomax urethane. It stays mostly dry and I can remove it quickly when I need to.

tylthom7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Fx4
Occupation
Retired
I would like to find a hard folding cover that will not impede the operation of my automatic tailgate. I’ve been told that some of the covers will not allow the tailgate to open automatically but that you still need to open it manually. Does anyone know of a hard cover that works with the auto tailgate? Thank you

irpete

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I would like to find a hard folding cover that will not impede the operation of my automatic tailgate. I’ve been told that some of the covers will not allow the tailgate to open automatically but that you still need to open it manually. Does anyone know of a hardcover that works with the auto tailgate? Thank you
I purchased the Weathertech hard trifold cover. It doesn't interfere with the auto tailgate on my 2021 Platinum power boost. Took all of 15 mins to install and can easily remove it if I need the full space.

tylthom7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Fx4
Occupation
Retired
Is there a reason no one mentions the LEER HF650M?

I like that one. It is a 4-section unit, making each section shorter and the third light is visible when folded. It has propping rods and safety straps, and tool less removal. It also has a nice looking locking system that is not a cable system which they claim makes it harder to break in to.

But it seems no one has one - why?
Do you know if it works well with the auto tailgate? Doesn’t impede the tailgate from opening automatically?

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
All of the auto tailgate questions are nuts.

Most of these covers are adjustable at closure.

You can certainly adjust to make it work. You might give up water proof ability.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
The auto-tailgate works with all Retrax and Ford rebranded Retrax covers. And they lock fine.

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
All of the auto tailgate questions are nuts.

Most of these covers are adjustable at closure.

You can certainly adjust to make it work. You might give up water proof ability.
I'm not sure I agree with that.... I reached out to Tyger when considering one of their products and they specifically stated that their product will interfere with the power tailgate...

" The lock mechanism on the cover will create a little more grip between the cover and the top of the tailgate. Thus, when you try to open the tailgate remotely, it won't open. "

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
I'm not sure I agree with that.... I reached out to Tyger when considering one of their products and they specifically stated that their product will interfere with the power tailgate...

" The lock mechanism on the cover will create a little more grip between the cover and the top of the tailgate. Thus, when you try to open the tailgate remotely, it won't open. "
I bet you could adjust (read as 'bend') the locking pins to get it working. But, you could lose water tightness.

Sponsored

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
I bet you could adjust (read as 'bend') the locking pins to get it working. But, you could lose water tightness.
Mate look I tried to be diplomatic, but on what planet do you think it's a good idea to bend something brand new to make it do something the manufacturer has clearly said it won't and THEN have it leak?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
Mate look I tried to be diplomatic, but on what planet do you think it's a good idea to bend something brand new to make it do something the manufacturer has clearly said it won't and THEN have it leak?
Actually, looking at the install instructions for their tri-fold, you wouldn't have to bend anything. Their clamps are adjustable.

Next time, try to be less 'diplomatic' and more factual.

I stand by my above statement.

TruckGal516

First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Teacher
I was going to order the PowerTrax MX 1 for my Lariat standard bed. It comes with drainage tubes and the YouTube video I watched said if your cab has a spray in bed liner (which mine does) then you’d need to drill wholes for the tubes. Anyone done this before and no where to drill and what bit they used?

thank you ?

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150, Soon to be 2021 hybrid
I was going to order the PowerTrax MX 1 for my Lariat standard bed. It comes with drainage tubes and the YouTube video I watched said if your cab has a spray in bed liner (which mine does) then you’d need to drill wholes for the tubes. Anyone done this before and no where to drill and what bit they used?

thank you ?
I ended up with the undercover armorflex cover with tubes up front. Love it so far. Tubes went easy through the existing holes up top on side of bed

OzzieSr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Lariat Sport 502A
I carried my 2018 Ford Custom Accessories hard tri-fold (basically the backflip rebranded) over to my 21'. Power tailgate wouldn't close as the tailgate seal lip on the tonneau was too floppy - caused enough resistance to force tailgate to auto-open again. I had to manually open the tonneau and then close tailgate. 2021 Bakflip Mx4 and its Ford custom accessories equivalent (which is made by REV) is on order now. Will circle back with an update once I receive.
Sponsored