Sponsored

Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau?

Coacher

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 3.5 302a
I installed my Pro X15 last week and really like it. I’ve used roll up soft covers for years and they fit my needs perfectly. I average about 10 to 15 trips a year getting mulches for my landscaping. Rolling it out if the way is ideal. Security isn’t an issue for me, I’ll put items like that in the cab. This summer I’ll be loading bikes in the bed while pulling my trailer and this it’s just an easy solution.

I picked the X15 for the fabric, low profile, allows access to the stake pockets, and hopefully solid quality from a name brand.

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I installed my X15 too and It looks great. I like it a lot.

Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
It was the same price on their website but I got free shipping with Amazon.

Stage3Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX CrewCab 4x4
Tisk tisk, dont forget about your forum discounts with Stage 3.

In all seriousness the x15 is a great cover. There are quite a few nice covers so if anyone needs suggestions I always here for questions.

Frank

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0

In all seriousness the x15 is a great cover. There are quite a few nice covers so if anyone needs suggestions I always here for questions.

Frank
Hi Frank

Happy to support a sponsor. Can you let me know price for a lo pro or X15 please (and what are the differences)?

Last edited:

Cbaka27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Occupation
Sales

Frank
What code do we use at check out?

Sponsored

Stage3Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX CrewCab 4x4

Goldwing Guy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Love my 2011 5.0, but considering a 2021 Limited. A great tonneau cover is important, but I’ve been frustrated with what’s out there. Want high security, so won’t consider a soft tonneau.

Hard tonneau covers are basically three types: 1) roll-up, 2) hard folding (e.g., BAKFlip MX4), or 3) retractable (e.g., RetraxPRO MX). But each type has its own very significant drawback(s), at least to me:

1. Roll-up: blocks some of rear view. When rolled up, still intrudes horizontally into bed significantly (about 12 inches), taking up valuable bed space. Pretty much only fully open or fully closed. Aesthetically so-so.

2. Hard folding: when folded up, completely blocks rear view. Some wind resistance. Some lean on rear window.

3. Retractable: canisters take up a ton of bed room: about 12-14” horizontally, and almost as much vertically. There’s one that takes up less at around 8.5”, but not thrilled with quality.

The wheels in this semi-retired entrepreneur’s head are turning. Would love to hear you guys’ opinions on what you think would be the PERFECT tonneau cover? Features, specs, price, appearance, etc. How important is the ability to handle a significant distributed load? Is the option for T-slots (Yakima, etc.,) important? Warranty?

Is what’s out there good enough? For example a lot of people love the BAKFlip MX4. Is that because they’re totally fine with completely obstructing the rear view? Would that happy MX4 customer opt for something else that was much more “perfect?”

Really appreciate your input!
I ordered a retractable for my truck in March as the truck was to be delivered in April but we all know how that is going October 31 . Back to the cover the retractable is more expensive but I think overall a better option.

mxc27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Anyone has tried a Revolver X4s with a power tailgate? Any issues?

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Love my 2011 5.0, but considering a 2021 Limited. A great tonneau cover is important, but I’ve been frustrated with what’s out there. Want high security, so won’t consider a soft tonneau.

Hard tonneau covers are basically three types: 1) roll-up, 2) hard folding (e.g., BAKFlip MX4), or 3) retractable (e.g., RetraxPRO MX). But each type has its own very significant drawback(s), at least to me:

1. Roll-up: blocks some of rear view. When rolled up, still intrudes horizontally into bed significantly (about 12 inches), taking up valuable bed space. Pretty much only fully open or fully closed. Aesthetically so-so.

2. Hard folding: when folded up, completely blocks rear view. Some wind resistance. Some lean on rear window.

3. Retractable: canisters take up a ton of bed room: about 12-14” horizontally, and almost as much vertically. There’s one that takes up less at around 8.5”, but not thrilled with quality.

The wheels in this semi-retired entrepreneur’s head are turning. Would love to hear you guys’ opinions on what you think would be the PERFECT tonneau cover? Features, specs, price, appearance, etc. How important is the ability to handle a significant distributed load? Is the option for T-slots (Yakima, etc.,) important? Warranty?

Is what’s out there good enough? For example a lot of people love the BAKFlip MX4. Is that because they’re totally fine with completely obstructing the rear view? Would that happy MX4 customer opt for something else that was much more “perfect?”

Really appreciate your input!
I really like the Retrax One XR with side track to add options. I can live with lost space as I used to have toll box in that area and an open bed. For me having the closed and locked bed is better than the tool box for my use. Also given all the rain and hard rain we have here in Miami it stays completely dry.
Sponsored