Sponsored

Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau?

Lingcod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Love my 2011 5.0, but considering a 2021 Limited. A great tonneau cover is important, but I’ve been frustrated with what’s out there. Want high security, so won’t consider a soft tonneau.

Hard tonneau covers are basically three types: 1) roll-up, 2) hard folding (e.g., BAKFlip MX4), or 3) retractable (e.g., RetraxPRO MX). But each type has its own very significant drawback(s), at least to me:

1. Roll-up: blocks some of rear view. When rolled up, still intrudes horizontally into bed significantly (about 12 inches), taking up valuable bed space. Pretty much only fully open or fully closed. Aesthetically so-so.

2. Hard folding: when folded up, completely blocks rear view. Some wind resistance. Some lean on rear window.

3. Retractable: canisters take up a ton of bed room: about 12-14” horizontally, and almost as much vertically. There’s one that takes up less at around 8.5”, but not thrilled with quality.

The wheels in this semi-retired entrepreneur’s head are turning. Would love to hear you guys’ opinions on what you think would be the PERFECT tonneau cover? Features, specs, price, appearance, etc. How important is the ability to handle a significant distributed load? Is the option for T-slots (Yakima, etc.,) important? Warranty?

Is what’s out there good enough? For example a lot of people love the BAKFlip MX4. Is that because they’re totally fine with completely obstructing the rear view? Would that happy MX4 customer opt for something else that was much more “perfect?”

Really appreciate your input!
Sponsored

H-Town

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special
I put the Retrax MXPro on mine....but I have a 6.5 bed so the canister was not an issue for me taking up some space. I love the security it provides and it looks fantastic.

OP
OP

Lingcod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I put the Retrax MXPro on mine....but I have a 6.5 bed so the canister was not an issue for me taking up some space. I love the security it provides and it looks fantastic.
Yup--that's the one I would choose as well. Expensive, but nice. But with a 5.5' bed, just too much intrusion. If you hypothetically had a 5.5' bed, would you still be okay with it?

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
I love the MX4 on my 2016 F150. I think the aluminum top is a bit fragile, the week after I got it we had a hail storm and I have aerodynamic divits now.

Local shop built a top at one time that used alucobond with an aluminum frame and a fiberglass backer to make it stiffer. I had that on my 1994 F150 but it was a solid cover and you stood it up at 90 degrees to take it off of two hooks behind the cab. You could open the tailgate with it closed and there were 2 straps and pistons to open it.

My1stF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat velocity blue, 2.7 FX4 sport
I think it depends on how often you need to open the cover and how much access you need. For me, I will rarely be opening it fully so I am happy with a hard tri-fold. Most likely will only need to fold it back once or twice just like the other night when I picked up some lumber from Home Depot. On those occasions that I need to fully open it, I can live with having my rear window blocked. Absolute worst case is that I can remove the tri-fold completely as it's it's just two fasteners that you can untighten by hand. It wouldn't be hard to reinstall either but the cover is a lot heavier than I thought it would be so don't think I will be doing that very often unless I really need to.

edit: forgot to mention that I have the Ford tri-fold by Rev which is a rebranded Bakflip.

Sponsored

ryken

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Sport; '19 Honda Odyssey
Is there a hard tri-fold that allows you to easily remove it from the bed after you fold it up? I would like a hard tri-fold, but I haul bikes with a tailgate pad often and they won't fit with the last third of a tri-fold in place (and I'm not crazy about driving with the rear window blocked).

OP
OP

Lingcod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Is there a hard tri-fold that allows you to easily remove it from the bed after you fold it up? I would like a hard tri-fold, but I haul bikes with a tailgate pad often and they won't fit with the last third of a tri-fold in place (and I'm not crazy about driving with the rear window blocked).
Curious why your preference for a hard tri-fold--and not a retractable? Is it because the retractable just takes up too much space and is also hard to remove?

My1stF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat velocity blue, 2.7 FX4 sport
Maybe the Extang Encore? https://extang.com/encore-tonno

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I actually prefer the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 tonneau over other hard-fold type for a number of reasons.
  • Tool-less install. (took longer to unbox than it did to install)
  • Keeps my bed dry. (several car washes and rain/snow storms)
  • Does not block rear window.
  • Automotive grade polymer that resists dents, scratches, and UV induced fading better than aluminum or fiberglass panels.
  • Lightweight, 1-inch thick EnduraShield panels provides strength & durability with a weight rating of 600 lbs evenly distributed.
  • Secure. (unlike most covers that use a cable system that is easy to unlock with a metal coat-hanger)

One potential drawback for some folks is the panel closest to the rear window does not fold up. However, on those extremely rare occasions that I need to haul some that requires my full bed, I simply remove the cover and leave it in my garage.

I have essentially created an oversized "trunk" for my truck with this cover in combination with a BedRug, and Bed Extender inverted inside the bed.

The Extang Encore is another similar option.

But, everyone has different wants/needs, so I realize what works for one may not work for another.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
This is exactly why I got the Lomax tri-fold. It is quick release (no tools) removable, and no loose nuts to keep track of. That way I can fit bikes lengthwise in the bed on those rare occasions. The bak/undercover require a little extra to remove. The lomax also doesn't have the final propped position but that wasn't something I cared about, I'd rather remove it than prop it.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tonneau-covers-recommendations-and-pics.3067/post-46068

Every single time this thread gets started, you'll get 75% of the posts just stating what they got and why it is the best. You'll need to state what the most important factors for you are, and I think people can help more.

• profile (above bed)
  • weight
  • propping ability
  • security
  • removability
  • cost
  • bed space consumed (canister or peragon)
  • bed length lost in final position (if not removed)
  • tailgate interference
  • water tightness (not sure any are perfect?)
  • overall sexiness
  • color matching ability
  • durability (and mfg warranty)

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I went for the hard tri-fold (Bakflip). It is easy to use, and I do not anticipate ever having to drive with it fully folded and blocking the window. If by chance I do, as others have pointed out, it is easily removable. The retractable ones are not very easy to remove and take up too much bed space. Not a fan of the roll-ups.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
LoMax trifold is perfect for me. Very satisfied.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Love my 2011 5.0, but considering a 2021 Limited. A great tonneau cover is important, but I’ve been frustrated with what’s out there. Want high security, so won’t consider a soft tonneau.

Hard tonneau covers are basically three types: 1) roll-up, 2) hard folding (e.g., BAKFlip MX4), or 3) retractable (e.g., RetraxPRO MX). But each type has its own very significant drawback(s), at least to me:

1. Roll-up: blocks some of rear view. When rolled up, still intrudes horizontally into bed significantly (about 12 inches), taking up valuable bed space. Pretty much only fully open or fully closed. Aesthetically so-so.

2. Hard folding: when folded up, completely blocks rear view. Some wind resistance. Some lean on rear window.

3. Retractable: canisters take up a ton of bed room: about 12-14” horizontally, and almost as much vertically. There’s one that takes up less at around 8.5”, but not thrilled with quality.

The wheels in this semi-retired entrepreneur’s head are turning. Would love to hear you guys’ opinions on what you think would be the PERFECT tonneau cover? Features, specs, price, appearance, etc. How important is the ability to handle a significant distributed load? Is the option for T-slots (Yakima, etc.,) important? Warranty?

Is what’s out there good enough? For example a lot of people love the BAKFlip MX4. Is that because they’re totally fine with completely obstructing the rear view? Would that happy MX4 customer opt for something else that was much more “perfect?”

Really appreciate your input!
I can provide you what cover I like (BAK X4s) and why (appearance closed, price, minimal window blockage and enough security).

In my case the cover is closed for >90% of the miles driven and I mainly carry stuff that fits in the bed with the cover closed - I have a small trailer to carry any real load, so my bed/cover are more like a large trunk
That said what are some of the usage characteristics that are important to you! If you provide this info others may be better able to advise based on their experience.

Blinky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
This is exactly why I got the Lomax tri-fold. It is quick release (no tools) removable, and no loose nuts to keep track of. That way I can fit bikes lengthwise in the bed on those rare occasions. The bak/undercover require a little extra to remove. The lomax also doesn't have the final propped position but that wasn't something I cared about, I'd rather remove it than prop it.
I'm looking for a cover and the zero tool removal, low profile without needing the drainage tubes are the reasons the lomax tri-fold is currently at the top of my list.

The bakflip mx4, and other trifold removal processes just sound like the lomax with extra steps.
Sponsored