Sponsored

Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau?

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I'm looking for a hard folding cover that will lock partially open - so you could flip just the last section up.. I think Bak made one that you would have to unlock each section as you flipped it up... Blocking the rear window isn't a problem for me, my last 4 trucks were all ordered with mirrors on each door :) plus I think the latest one has a cargo camera... The cover has to look good and be reasonably water tight, though that being said, the soft folds I've owned up till this point have done a reasonable job in that department. I'd love it if someone made a reasonably priced product, <$1k, alas, the price of everything is crazy these days... Retractable's look awesome, but in a 5.5' bed, space is just to valuable to take up.. A Hard roll-up like that revolution x4 is on my short list still as well..
@tbell_1 -

I can't speak to the folding covers from experience, but my new RetraxPro locks in any position. I really like that feature. I too have the short bed but haven't experienced much loss of bed length, as pointed out earlier by @PungoteagueDave, but that's a function of what you're carrying. Given that you have a 5.5 bed, I assume that you aren't carrying a lot of long items but I could be wrong.
Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? Closeup Retrax
Sponsored

FX4LVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW FX4
I posted it in another thread, but here's a couple pics of my Yakima OverHaul rack and the separate ShowDown kayak loader system on the Ford OEM tonneau that is also sold as the Retrax XR. Great integrated system. I also have the low crossbars, but this gets the kayaks up above the cab. I mounted it in the lowest position because the kayak side loader system added enough height to put it over the cab. If used for something else like a ladder or lumber I would raise the bars.

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg
Good looking set up. What size crossbars are you using? Do they overhang a lot?

CindyC-IL

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Business Systems Analyst
I've read reviews, looked at videos, asked for opinions on which brand/model. It's come down to two; BakFlip MX4 or Leer HF650M. They are similar in price. I think I like the sync latch of the Leer over the BakFlip. The BakFlip when fully open leans against the window, the Leer does not. Not sure if that is good or bad. I worry about the support of sitting upright. Will the wind grab it? They are both low profile. The BakFlip has the drainage hose, the Leer does not.

Have I missed any differences. Looking at the above and except for my concern about the upright position when fully open, I think I prefer the Leer.

I'd appreciate comments. You guys have been great helping me with products. Thank you so much.....Cindy

DSpyV

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 screw 5.0 STX
Occupation
Radiology
I posted it in another thread, but here's a couple pics of my Yakima OverHaul rack and the separate ShowDown kayak loader system on the Ford OEM tonneau that is also sold as the Retrax XR. Great integrated system. I also have the low crossbars, but this gets the kayaks up above the cab. I mounted it in the lowest position because the kayak side loader system added enough height to put it over the cab. If used for something else like a ladder or lumber I would raise the bars.

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

Can you clarify what you had to get to have your setup, minus the kayak racks?

1) which Verizon retrax XR… appears to be a couple verisons
2) which Yakima racks? Did you need special adapters?

What did you end up paying for each?

Thanks!

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
Sorry to hijack the thread... are there any retractable / canister covers that do not have an additional key to use? Something that would be locked by virtue of the tailgate being closed/locked?

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Can you clarify what you had to get to have your setup, minus the kayak racks?

1) which Verizon retrax XR… appears to be a couple verisons
2) which Yakima racks? Did you need special adapters?

What did you end up paying for each?

Thanks!
My bars are all by Yakima but I bought them through Amazon. I have two sets of crossbars - the standard low bars, and the ones in this picture. This setup requires the Retrax XR tonneau with the tracks or the OEM Ford retractable tonneau system, which is made by Retrax, with the Ford logo. I have had both in varying lengths on F-150s and Super Duties, they are identical. Great system. To replicate the above, you need the Yakima Overhaul HD Bed Rack ($800), the Tonneau Adapter Kit ($140), and the HD Heavy Crossbars ($299):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDSP8T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6GN436/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKZL6B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I have also added the ShowDown Load-Assist kayak carrying kit ($599X2):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RS4RBP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So the whole setup was $1,240 before the kayak lifting/carrying kits, which added $1,200 - expensive, but super well-made and easy to install and remove quickly. One othe rcaveat - the Yakima stuff is very hard to find - I note that the items on Amazon are currently showing unavailable - it took me six months to track them down - try etrailer, REI, etc. - Yakima is sold lots of places. Pics of the rig in action here:

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? F150 with Tesla

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? f150 at scales

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? F150rack

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? F150rack2

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Good looking set up. What size crossbars are you using? Do they overhang a lot?
See my expanded post above. One caveat and buyer-beware - my setup with the 9,750-pound boat trailer and the kayaks all acting as a parachute equals a recipe for 4.5-5.5 MPG from a PowerBoost F-150 - and range per tank of only 150 miles. This is not an advisable setup - far better to go with a Superduty's big tank and higher efficiency when doing heavy work like this (and the Superduty King Ranch with the same configuration shown is about the same price). I have Superdities at my Virginia farm, but keep a half ton truck in Florida due to HOA rules, hence the tradeoff shown here. It is within Ford's specs, barely on payload, but a terrible setup compared to using the right truck for the job. Note zero remaining range. I was at the gas pump at the truck scales after a full tank, barely eked out 153 miles. The Powerboost features in the towing case is just added dead weight.

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? 5mpgf150

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
See my expanded post above. One caveat and buyer-beware - my setup with the 9,750-pound boat trailer and the kayaks all acting as a parachute equals a recipe for 4.5-5.5 MPG from a PowerBoost F-150 - and range per tank of only 150 miles. This is not an advisable setup - far better to go with a Superduty's big tank and higher efficiency when doing heavy work like this (and the Superduty King Ranch with the same configuration shown is about the same price). I have Superdities at my Virginia farm, but keep a half ton truck in Florida due to HOA rules, hence the tradeoff shown here. It is within Ford's specs, barely on payload, but a terrible setup compared to using the right truck for the job. Note zero remaining range. I was at the gas pump at the truck scales after a full tank, barely eked out 153 miles. The Powerboost features in the towing case is just added dead weight.

5mpgf150.jpg

Great set-up. I am looking at that exact same setup with the Retrax and the yakima racks. I thought you could buy the yakima rack where the height was adjustable, so you didn't have to have 2 sets (low & high).

Seeing what you have here, I'm guessing I should never tow a 29ft WC. How do you like your boat? I am looking at a 295 DC or a Grady White 307DC or similar (Pursuit or BW).

Thanks.

Cdubs

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PB
Great set-up. I am looking at that exact same setup with the Retrax and the yakima racks. I thought you could buy the yakima rack where the height was adjustable, so you didn't have to have 2 sets (low & high).
Take note: there are many different kinds of Yakima racks. Each has different functions. The Outpost is the low/fixed option I think you saw. That sits 13 inches above the bed rail. The Outpost looks very similar to the Overhaul HD but the Overhaul has adjustable height between 19 and 30 inches. You can tell its an Overhaul because it has a corner brace between the tower and the base. I have a similar set-up to what Dave has. The Overhaul sitting on a Retrax. I'm a fan so far. Note: mine has the sidebar added for even more racking options. The sidebar is the horizontal bar running between the towers.

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? tempImageby4m9U

Last edited:

Sponsored

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Take note: there are many different kinds of Yakima racks. Each has different functions. The Outpost is the low/fixed option I think you saw. That sits 13 inches about the bed rail. The Outpost looks very similar to the Overhaul HD but the Overhaul has adjustable height between 19 and 30 inches. You can tell its an Overhaul because it has a corner brace between the tower and the base. I have a similar set-up to what Dave has. The Overhaul sitting on a Retrax. I'm a fan so far. Note: mine has the sidebar added for even more racking options. The sidebar is the horizontal bar running between the towers.

tempImageby4m9U.jpg
Thank you. Great information. Your truck and setup looks fantastic. By the way, I ordered the platinum in iconic silver, build date week of 1/31/2022. What are your other mods? Is yours a platinum?

Cdubs

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PB
Thank you. Great information. Your truck and setup looks fantastic. By the way, I ordered the platinum in iconic silver, build date week of 1/31/2022. What are your other mods? Is yours a platinum?
Thank you. Yes, its a '21 Iconic Silver Platinum with the Powerboost engine. I want to do a slight lift with a level next but waiting for FOX to come out with their new suspension before I decide if that's the way I want to go. I'm a fan of the Tremor, so I have that as my desired look and feel. But the PB engine was a bigger draw for me so I went with a Platinum.

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Thank you. Yes, its a '21 Iconic Silver Platinum with the Powerboost engine. I want to do a slight lift with a level next but waiting for FOX to come out with their new suspension before I decide if that's the way I want to go. I'm a fan of the Tremor, so I have that as my desired look and feel. But the PB engine was a bigger draw for me so I went with a Platinum.
My thoughts exactly. Less interested in a lift, but would like a level and bolder looking tires. I am putting the Bed Rug in my bed. And will definitely get your rack system.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

Seeing what you have here, I'm guessing I should never tow a 29ft WC. How do you like your boat? I am looking at a 295 DC or a Grady White 307DC or similar (Pursuit or BW).

Thanks.
You can set them high or low. The Overhaul HD racks in the picture are set at the lowest setting. Without the kayak loaders I could set them higher to still put everything over the cab. I also have regular cross bars with low risers, that ride just a few inches over the tonneau. Bought them before deciding to go with the high option for the kayaks. Putting the kayaks inside the big boat was our first option, worked last summer, but we really want to be able to take them independently of towing the power boat, so bought the custom kayak carrying system for the Retrax/Ford XR tonneau.

Love the World Cat. It's 16 years old, will be my last boat. Repowered two years ago, new electronics and lighting/wiring last year, rebuilt trailer this year. I flew around the country in '05 looking at every cat boat available at the time, sea trialed six. This was the only one without "cat sneeze" due to their vector flow tunnel - so it is very dry, even in 12-foot seas. I can run a 30-foot boat 60 miles offshore in terrible weather, when the big boys in 65-foot ocean fishers are coming back with sick passengers. It'll jump off wave crests, and come down soft as cotton due to the dual hull form. I'll never have a single hull boat again except for our oyster work boats, where there's no choice. We've had a lot of power boats over the years, have rented more, ridden in many friends boats, never found anything close to the World Cat hull form in terms of safety, ability to run in bad conditions, and provide a soft ride in chop and high waves when anything else would pound you - cuts right through when displacing, and hops right over and lands softly when planing. Still, only 2 gallons per miles at cruising speed (45mph).

With that said, I would like a bigger version of the World Cat, but need to trailer between summers at Lake George NY, our place on the Chesapeake Bay in Spring and fall, and winters at our place on the ICW in south Florida. I suppose we could run it up and back either in the ICW or offshore, but getting from Lake Champaign into/out of Lake George would be a b*tch, and it would cost a week+ each way. So this boat is our permanent solution. Every boat is a compromise, but it is the best I've found, carries ten folks in bowrider mode, works fine as a water ski tender, catches lots of dolphin, stripers, tows fine albeit a bit much for a half ton pickup truck.

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Someone suggested I shouldn't get the bed rug because it holds moisture. Which can lead to bed rust, etc. Anybody else hear that? The guidance my truck guy was giving was to get a spray in bed liner and maybe a sliding tray (Cargo Glide, etc) to access stuff deep in the bed.

I've seen so much positives with the bed rug and the retrax pro XR, so I was kind of caught off guard.

Thoughts? Any regrets with a Retrax Pro XR + a Bed Rug?
Sponsored