Sponsored

Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau?

Hog_Johnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Very helpful, thanks @Blinky! I’m curious to know where did you get yours from. Was gonna try and order it through auto accessories garage or auto anything (which ever gives me a better deal) with a price match from shopeddies. I’ve heard that the Leer customer service isn’t that great but if you go through a third party that has better customer service it’s better. Thanks in advance!
I ordered mine from AutoAnything for a couple bucks less than shopeddies lists it for
Sponsored

Blinky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Very helpful, thanks @Blinky! I’m curious to know where did you get yours from. Was gonna try and order it through auto accessories garage or auto anything (which ever gives me a better deal) with a price match from shopeddies. I’ve heard that the Leer customer service isn’t that great but if you go through a third party that has better customer service it’s better. Thanks in advance!
I ordered from a local shop here in Manitoba Canada that has a very good reputation. Sorry that's not much help.

Bbass5

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired

• Any idea how water tight it will be? On my old 2005 F150, I could never find a regular tonneau that was water tight. So I went with an Undercover brand tonneau. It over lapped the bed all the way around.
    The latest Undercover Armorflex has a triple gasket at the tailgate top, rain gutters on the sides, and Line-X sprayed panels. Like this one and also the Leer HF650M. Still thinking before dropping the $. But one issue with finding watertight covers I think is the tailgate as you look down from above and you see gaps where water can splash up inside. Also the factory bed floor drains although not too large are a potential source because if water can drain out it can also splash in. Gaskets can help in the back but my Lariat at least has lots of daylight at the tailgate bed corners when looking down, as well as along the bottom edge. Maybe others can shed light on how they handled the tailgate waterproofing.

Sponsored

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I have the 5.5 bed and I got the Leer HF650M just in case I could fit bikes in with it down in the last position before folding vertically. It was a gamble but it ended up working fine with the Dakine Pickup Pad DLX Curve which also fits great on the tailgate. My bike is a 2021 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo size S4 which is a pretty long bike. I just did a shuttle run with 4 bikes in the back with the Leer folded up like you see in the pictures.

Also, you just need to roll the Dakine padding back and you can close the Leer with the tailgate pad still connected.

I am very happy with the Leer. Now that I have installed it once, I could do it again in 10 minutes.

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? IMG_20211011_154008134_HDR

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I have the 5.5 bed and I got the Leer HF650M just in case I could fit bikes in with it down in the last position before folding vertically. It was a gamble but it ended up working fine with the Dakine Pickup Pad DLX Curve which also fits great on the tailgate. My bike is a 2021 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo size S4 which is a pretty long bike. I just did a shuttle run with 4 bikes in the back with the Leer folded up like you see in the pictures.

Also, you just need to roll the Dakine padding back and you can close the Leer with the tailgate pad still connected.

I am very happy with the Leer. Now that I have installed it once, I could do it again in 10 minutes.

IMG_20211011_154008134_HDR.jpg
How easy is it to remove and replace?

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021

Thanks for posting this, The Leer is the one I've been considering, we have 4 Trek bikes and at tailgate pad that I've wondered it the Leer would work with them in the bed. Would you mind measuring how much space between the folded up end and the tailgate pad. One of our Treks is an 2000 and is kind of long as well.

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer

Can you explain more what you mean by "roll the padding back"? I'm really interested in this setup. I have a BAKFlip X4 and I'm not sure how it would work with a tailgate pad.

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
How easy is it to remove and replace?

I have not removed either the tailgate pad nor the Leer yet but the tailgate pad is just 4 plastic buckles:

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? IMG_20211012_084954455_HDR

Would you mind measuring how much space between the folded up end and the tailgate pad.

I measured 45 inches from the Leer in the final latch position to the tailgate.

Can you explain more what you mean by "roll the padding back"?

Normally the padding part of the pad is on top of the tailgate. That does not allow room for the Leer to close in the fully closed position. I have to roll the pad so that the unpadded part of the pad is on the top corner of the tailgate and that then allows me to close the Leer without having to fully remove the pad. Depending on how tight you have the pad, it takes a minute or two. I ride often so this is how I have it set up so I don't have to remove either piece. In the rolled position, the rear camera also still works:

(rolled position)
Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? IMG_20211012_085505479

(fully closed in the rolled position)
Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? IMG_20211012_085633983_HDR

(rear camera unobstructed in rolled position)
Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? IMG_20211012_085641463_HDR

One last thing to note is that the Leer does not sit fully flush. However, to me it is not a big issue and I didn't want to do extra steps to add drainage tubes which some of the flush fitting tonneau covers require:

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? IMG_20211012_085253114_HDR

Sponsored

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
I took my Bak Revolver X4S through an automated carwash today for the first time. The car wash has high water pressure like most car washes and the tunnel has several rinse elements. I was very surprised to see afterwards that my bed was bone dry, not a drop except from opening the tailgate to look inside.

I'm pleased with this tonneau cover.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I took my Bak Revolver X4S through an automated carwash today for the first time. The car wash has high water pressure like most car washes and the tunnel has several rinse elements. I was very surprised to see afterwards that my bed was bone dry, not a drop except from opening the tailgate to look inside.

I use a pressure washer at home to clean my truck and the only place I get any water in the bed is right at the tailgate. I have the step and some water gets in around it, but the front and sides stay completely dry, even with close up high pressure water.

Thunderspit

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I have had the backflip styles and only occasionally drove with it open and blocking the window, it wasnt that big a deal for those occasions. I just got my new lariat and ordered the Bak revolver, it blocks less of the window, I can still see out, and it retracts easier, I’m getting older and flipping the tonneau is getting harder. The revolver solves that issue.
My priorities are as follows; security, weather protection and flush fitting, tonneau covers that are higher than the bed are not attractive in my opinion.

dropp01

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 ford edge, 2020 edge ST, 2021 f-150 lariat
So I just purchased a Truxedo sentry CT from realtrucks.com. I told them I belonged to this forum and they gave me a $205.00 discount. Haven't received it yet but I'll let everyone know if it's all there and a great deal.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB

Good to hear. I'm leaning towards this one. I had the MX4 previously, but it did leak a little. Plus I didn't like how it blocked the window when fully folded up.
Sponsored