Sponsored

Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Regardless of which you choose, check out truckalterations.com and see if your brand is listed there. Call and ask for the "forum member" discount, and you will get a massive discount. Saved more than $200 off retail this way, as others have. Got an invoice in email, paid, and it arrived about 1 week later.
Sponsored

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Star White Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
I was deciding between the Bak X4S, which is an aluminum, above-the-bed rollup, and the Retrax XR, which is a canister style rollup. I decided on the X4s because the whole bed remains usable, though, as you mention, the space above the bed is effectively shortened. If I need that space, on the other hand, the cover can be taken off without tools and in a minute or two. I think the cover looks great, is very low profile, and is easy to use. With the XR, which looks great and has great functionality, especially with the rack system and the ability to stop the cover in any position, the problem is that the canister effectively shortens most of the bed by about a foot and the canister is a little more difficult to remove. Plus, it's about twice the cost.

If I could have the perfect bed cover, it would basically be the XR without taking up so much bed space. So, low profile, metal with a matte finish, the ability to lock it in any position, and a rail system (I don't need it now, but I might!). I actually like the smooth finish on the X4 more than the slats on the XR, but they both look good.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Is there a hard tri-fold that allows you to easily remove it from the bed after you fold it up? I would like a hard tri-fold, but I haul bikes with a tailgate pad often and they won't fit with the last third of a tri-fold in place (and I'm not crazy about driving with the rear window blocked).
Dealer promised I would get the Extang Bakflip 2 but instead gave me something similar(looks wise) but different brand(bison).
This thing is not waterproof at all. Quite a bit of water and soap gets in at every car wash. But I think this one might work well for you as it very easily comes on and off with only four clamps holding it in place.
Taking it on and off takes only a minute or two.
If you’re located anywhere near Toronto I can give you mine for well below retail which I think is around $600.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Which model rebrand is the LineX?
The Truck Gear by LINE-X® LXP Cover safeguards your cargo with heavy-duty folding panels that are reinforced with a LINE-X® coating for extreme resistance to damage.
Saw it the other day, it really looked good.
They are bakflip rebrands with the Linex coating. As of a month or so ago (last time I looked) they don’t have a cover listed as compatible with the 21 F150s yet.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Is there a reason no one mentions the LEER HF650M?

I like that one. It is a 4-section unit, making each section shorter and the third light is visible when folded. It has propping rods and safety straps, and tool less removal. It also has a nice looking locking system that is not a cable system which they claim makes it harder to break in to.

But it seems no one has one - why?

Reactions: MDM

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

I like that one. It is a 4-section unit, making each section shorter and the third light is visible when folded. It has propping rods and safety straps, and tool less removal. It also has a nice looking locking system that is not a cable system which they claim makes it harder to break in to.

Good question! Is it because it has the 1/2" of profile instead of the zero profile? Personally I'll take the 1/2" and water-shed-over versus the flush and drain channel rails with tubes (bak, undercover, etc). I had never seen this one but it is a great alternative for the Lomax users that want to trade slightly easier removal for that prop position capability.

OP
OP

Lingcod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My Truck coming soon..... or eventually..... who knows, but I've started to look at accessories so....
What about some combo retractable / toolbox. Either a retractable cover coming out from the back of a toolbox OR very shallow toolbox (even with top of bed rails) atop a retractable cover? Or something else? Anyone have suggestions? What..., if anything is out there if you want both the tool box and a cover?
I believe there are retractables with tool box options out there. Good thinking!

OP
OP

Lingcod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I was deciding between the Bak X4S, which is an aluminum, above-the-bed rollup, and the Retrax XR, which is a canister style rollup. I decided on the X4s because the whole bed remains usable, though, as you mention, the space above the bed is effectively shortened. If I need that space, on the other hand, the cover can be taken off without tools and in a minute or two. I think the cover looks great, is very low profile, and is easy to use. With the XR, which looks great and has great functionality, especially with the rack system and the ability to stop the cover in any position, the problem is that the canister effectively shortens most of the bed by about a foot and the canister is a little more difficult to remove. Plus, it's about twice the cost.

If I could have the perfect bed cover, it would basically be the XR without taking up so much bed space. So, low profile, metal with a matte finish, the ability to lock it in any position, and a rail system (I don't need it now, but I might!). I actually like the smooth finish on the X4 more than the slats on the XR, but they both look good.
Yup, I have a pretty similar view on what a perfect bed cover would be.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I received a "Rev Industries" tonneau as part of my factory package. It took a little research, but I found that it was manufactured by "Truck Hero", so it's a BakFlip by any other name. https://truck-hero.com/bakflip-mx4-truck-bed-cover
I'm overall very happy with it, and it's kept 95%+ of the rain out during a couple of pretty bad storms we've had.

What I need to start looking for is a rack which works with the tonneau, so that I can take the canoe. Any one have suggestions?

Sponsored

Blinky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Take a look at the Leer 650. Quad fold so you can still see the third tail light if it’s all the way up. No drain tubes. Very flush fit. I got it on autoanything.com for $900 delivered.
Only thing I could wish for would be a Linex coating on it but I may have that done.

BE7A2BCA-9887-4DF0-A175-C8212DF8843B.jpeg

8DABB698-88E7-40FD-9B15-C937550BBF67.jpeg

7A1F8BC3-23D8-47F8-9462-66CC019786E4.jpeg

19FB03E1-3E0A-4DD1-98A5-A5E1BFD7EAE1.jpeg
Thanks for this recommendation! Did some looking into it and this one has moved to the top of my list.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Nice - unbelievable construction, like a second bed above the main bed - but holy cow - 150 pounds for a 6.5 bed - you lose so much payload that it's self-defeating - and putting an ATV or motorcycle up there would REALLY put the center of gravity up high. Sticking with Retrax Pro, which you can walk on (weighs half as much and supports 500 lbs):

https://retrax.com/images/InstallGuides/RX_Catalog_2019_E-Book.pdf

I use the compatible Yakima crossbar system to carry stuff above the tonneau, which is another advantage of the Retrax - if you get it with the Trax-Rail system rails along the side, its T-slot system doubles as an accessory mount for bikes, skis, boards, kayaks, etc, above and clear of the bed and tonneau. Retrax is the only tonneau that I know of with this feature. Game changer for me - even retrofitted the rails onto our 2017 F-350 8-ft. bed Retrax Pro and have been carrying stand up paddleboards and kayaks. Stock image here

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? IMG_20210314_193115

Deleted member 2919

Nice - unbelievable construction, like a second bed above the main bed - but holy cow - 150 pounds for a 6.5 bed - you lose so much payload that it's self-defeating - and putting an ATV or motorcycle up there would REALLY put the center of gravity up high. Sticking with Retrax Pro, which you can walk on (weighs half as much and supports 500 lbs

https://retrax.com/images/InstallGuides/RX_Catalog_2019_E-Book.pdf
Stock image here

IMG_20210314_193115.jpeg
Is "walking on it" what they mean when the specifications state, "500 lbs. of evenly distributed weight".

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired

My choice as well when or if I get my truck.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Regardless of which you choose, check out truckalterations.com and see if your brand is listed there. Call and ask for the "forum member" discount, and you will get a massive discount. Saved more than $200 off retail this way, as others have. Got an invoice in email, paid, and it arrived about 1 week later.
I went that route when I bought the MX4 for my 19 silverado. $750 from that dude. Great price!

Not sure I'd go with the MX4 again. I do like the Retrax/Yakima combo, but it is $$$. Might wait a while before going with a cover again, but will have to wait and see, it could be 6 mos before I have a truck again.
Sponsored