First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
My 2021 Lariat 6.5 bed has covers on all 4 pockets.
Many thanks for the images. Going to be easier to install the canoe rack without having to cut out the front pockets.

Mr. Zog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5L EB, 5.5' Space White
I cut mine out this weekend in order to mount an Adarac. Mostly followed this guy’s older video and the dimensions were spot on. I did find it easier/cleaner just to use a utility knife after drilling an acces hole (vs. dremel or jigsaw). Not factory quality, but turned out pretty good (and it’s covered anyway!). Note the wire bundle passing through each front pocket (in case you’re planning to insert something all the way).

Ford F-150 Front Stake Pocket Uncovering 5.5' Bed 0F88030E-8A8B-4685-86EB-727ADB326774

Ford F-150 Front Stake Pocket Uncovering 5.5' Bed 49770F73-79A8-479E-B5D0-19DA5E5BE884

gregger4

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Mr. Zog -
I'm looking to do the same uncovering of the front stake pockets as you did to install a Thule TracRac SR using base rails along the edge of the truck bed. The rails are secured by inserting an expanding rubber block in each of the pockets and tuning a screw mechanism to expand the block and anchor the track rail. My concern, based on your picture is the wire bundle running through the lower part of the pocket -- can you remember the distance from the bundle to the top of the pickup bed rail? I think I only need about 1.5 to 2 inches of depth, but before I start cutting I'd like to make sure that I'm not causing an electrical problem by using the stake pocket this way. Thanks! -- Greg

I cut mine out this weekend in order to mount an Adarac. Mostly followed this guy’s older video and the dimensions were spot on. I did find it easier/cleaner just to use a utility knife after drilling an acces hole (vs. dremel or jigsaw). Not factory quality, but turned out pretty good (and it’s covered anyway!). Note the wire bundle passing through each front pocket (in case you’re planning to insert something all the way).

0F88030E-8A8B-4685-86EB-727ADB326774.jpeg

49770F73-79A8-479E-B5D0-19DA5E5BE884.jpeg

Mr. Zog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mr. Zog -
I'm looking to do the same uncovering of the front stake pockets as you did to install a Thule TracRac SR using base rails along the edge of the truck bed. The rails are secured by inserting an expanding rubber block in each of the pockets and tuning a screw mechanism to expand the block and anchor the track rail. My concern, based on your picture is the wire bundle running through the lower part of the pocket -- can you remember the distance from the bundle to the top of the pickup bed rail? I think I only need about 1.5 to 2 inches of depth, but before I start cutting I'd like to make sure that I'm not causing an electrical problem by using the stake pocket this way. Thanks! -- Greg
Hey Greg,

Unfortunately, I did not measure, but I believe there is only about 1" of clearance until you hit the wire bundle. However, the bundle is flexible and can be pushed further down. The trick would be if you need the whole stake pocket space - that might interfere with where the wire bundle enters and exits the pocket (hope that makes sense). I don't think you'll cause any damage if you open up the pocket and do a test fit of the rubber block.

Sponsored

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
This is a great find, I was just asking myself about this very thing!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So, bumping this for a question. I was going to get stake pocket tie downs (and the router bit) from Bull Ring for the front and rear. Their site says that for 5½' bed that there is only the rear tie-downs. I looked in the service manual which also said that there are only 2 tie-downs for the short bed, and found a few posts online from the Gen 13 trucks about only 2. For those that have uncovered the front holes, have you noticed any issues with using them? Are they the same size as the rear pocket holes?

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
So, bumping this for a question. I was going to get stake pocket tie downs (and the router bit) from Bull Ring for the front and rear. Their site says that for 5½' bed that there is only the rear tie-downs. I looked in the service manual which also said that there are only 2 tie-downs for the short bed, and found a few posts online from the Gen 13 trucks about only 2. For those that have uncovered the front holes, have you noticed any issues with using them? Are they the same size as the rear pocket holes?
I don't see why you cant use something like this. The pockets that are covered near the cab don't have a reinforced pocket but are still useful mounting points.
Ford F-150 Front Stake Pocket Uncovering 5.5' Bed 1647547361879

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Are you sure that's a wire bundle? It's not the Hard Tonneau drain tub?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I looked up through the sides of the bed from underneath and the openings are definitely there. On my truck, it appears that the fuel fill neck is in the way down low on the driver's side. No obstructions up top. There is no support down lower though, so I would say that they are only good as tie-down points. The passenger side has something in the opening, but I can't see clearly from underneath what it is. It is orange in color, which is concerning as that is what the high-voltage wiring for the hybrid system is colored. It looks like a stray piece of wrap/tape, but I definitely want to look closer before trying to open it up. I didn't see any wiring passing by either side though like someone posted somewhere (here?)

Sponsored

Mr. Zog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked up through the sides of the bed from underneath and the openings are definitely there. On my truck, it appears that the fuel fill neck is in the way down low on the driver's side. No obstructions up top. There is no support down lower though, so I would say that they are only good as tie-down points. The passenger side has something in the opening, but I can't see clearly from underneath what it is. It is orange in color, which is concerning as that is what the high-voltage wiring for the hybrid system is colored. It looks like a stray piece of wrap/tape, but I definitely want to look closer before trying to open it up. I didn't see any wiring passing by either side though like someone posted somewhere (here?)
What I saw on the front passenger side after I cut the pocket out was a black corrugated plastic sheath, roughly 3/8" in diameter. Not sure what's on the inside, but looked like typical protective wiring shroud. It ran across the width of the hole, maybe 3-4" below the top surface. Regretting not getting a picture, but it's all buttoned up now...

Belgian Son

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 F-150 King Ranch, 2022 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Plant Manager
I don't see why you cant use something like this. The pockets that are covered near the cab don't have a reinforced pocket but are still useful mounting points.
1647547361879.png
Would you mind calling out where you found these? I did buy Bull Rings for the rear, but like the idea of these for the front. Potentially less water ingress and easier to install. Thanks!

Belgian Son

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 F-150 King Ranch, 2022 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Plant Manager

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I want to know this exact same thing. I'm ready to buy for the front and rear but don't know if they will sit flush on the front due to the design of the top of the bed rail.
Sponsored