Sponsored

Front Stake Pocket Uncovering 5.5' Bed

Cooter'sFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several XJs, a TJ, T-Bird, and an Expedition
Anyone uncovered them yet? Are they there?
Sponsored

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
It's so odd!! the rear bed pocket is there with the covers. The Front ones are covered. from inside the bed it looks like there is a stake pocket beneath, but their is no bed pocket cover from the top. You would have to cut the plastic to access it. I'm still trying to figure out why they did that!!

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
It's so odd!! the rear bed pocket is there with the covers. The Front ones are covered. from inside the bed it looks like there is a stake pocket beneath, but their is no bed pocket cover from the top. You would have to cut the plastic to access it. I'm still trying to figure out why they did that!!
I had a 2013 Lariat and they were covering it up back then.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can someone post pics of what we're talking about? Never head of stake pockets.

Sponsored

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Ford F-150 Front Stake Pocket Uncovering 5.5' Bed 1612905088258

The four corners of each truck bed have a pocket that is about 2x4 square. These pockets are referred to as stake pockets. This will date me, but originally the size was the exact size of a wood 2x4 in which you would place a 2x4 in each pocket and then make a frame so you can add sides to your truck etc. No one puts wood in there any more, but they have remained so that people can place ladder racks, kyaks etc. using the 4 pockets in each corner.

CatAdjuster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 5.4L King Ranch, '15 Lariat 3.5L Eco
Occupation
Catastrophe Adjuster
Yes, it’s one of my few pet peeves with their design. Ford does such a great job understanding how these trucks are used and understanding consumer needs. I use the Thule TracRac RS system so that I can use both a tonneau cover and ladder rack and it requires access to the front pocket to insert the front locking piece on the rack slider. Just visited a dealer the other day hoping they had changed this by now and was disappointed to see that when I upgrade to a ‘21 in a few months I’m still going to have to cut into the bed rail covers again. Not sure why/when they omitted the front pop outs but my ‘99 had them.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
1612905088258.png

The four corners of each truck bed have a pocket that is about 2x4 square. These pockets are referred to as stake pockets. This will date me, but originally the size was the exact size of a wood 2x4 in which you would place a 2x4 in each pocket and then make a frame so you can add sides to your truck etc. No one puts wood in there any more, but they have remained so that people can place ladder racks, kyaks etc. using the 4 pockets in each corner.
Ahh, understood. I know what you’re talking about now, just didn’t know they were called that.

Sponsored

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Anyone uncovered them yet? Are they there?
Does anyone know if this is the same on the 6.5 box. My 18 Lariat has pop outs at all 4 corners in the longer 6.5 box that I use when installing a canoe rack. Waiting for my order to get processed on the 21 truck.

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Does anyone know if this is the same on the 6.5 box. My 18 Lariat has pop outs at all 4 corners in the longer 6.5 box that I use when installing a canoe rack. Waiting for my order to get processed on the 21 truck.
My 2021 Lariat 6.5 bed has covers on all 4 pockets.

Attachments

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I'll be dipped. I was thinking a panel trim bit would work great, and Ford makes one just for this reason! (Stake Pocket Access): Bed Rails - Installation Kit, For 5.5 Bed | Customize Your Ford

1615208020906.png
Based on the fact that Ford offers a tool specifically to remove the plastic in order to access the front stake pockets, my bet is that this is done on purpose as sealing the stake pockets prevents water from entering the bed (presuming tonneau cover is used).

On 5.5' beds only the rear stake pockets have removable covers. On the longer beds all 4 stake pockets have removable covers. I'm guessing folks with the longer beds are much likely to use them.
Sponsored