Front Shock vs Coilover replacement labor comparison

fordfam

First Name
Sky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Sport
Guys, this will probably be an easy question for some of you to answer. I’m counting on you guys. I have been looking at leveling my truck and I am thinking about getting either after market front shocks, OR front coilovers to give me an increase of 2-2.5” of front height. I am also going to replace rear shocks and possibly upper control arms at the same time. My question is this: what would the expected labor difference be between replacing front shocks versus replacing the entire coilover assembly? I’m trying to figure out if I should spend a little more for a coilover or save a little and purchase and shock/spring instead? Looking to go with either Bilstein or Eibach. Any input from anyone who has used either companies shocks/coilovers on their 21+ is greatly appreciated. Thanks dudes!
Sponsored

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
I recently replaced my F/R shocks with néw UCA. Cost me 800 with new alignment

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
OP
OP
fordfam

fordfam

First Name
Sky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Sport
I recently replaced my F/R shocks with néw UCA. Cost me 800 with new alignment
Can you tell me how many labor hours you were charged? What brand shocks and UCA did you go with? Happy with the results?

OP
OP
fordfam

fordfam

First Name
Sky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Sport

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Awesome. How’s the truck feel on the road? Does it handle better than stock? Did that kit include upper control arms? Thanks for your reply.
It's better than stock for sure, soaks up speedbumps really well, cornering, not as much body roll. Feels like a more "premium" ride. Did not include UCA's since they use the same stock ones, no, degree of angle change since using coilovers and not spacers.

https://www.roushperformance.com/pa...n-category/2015-2016-f150-fox-suspension.html

OP
OP
fordfam

fordfam

First Name
Sky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Sport

RLTW175

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 SCrew, STX 5.0
Occupation
Fire Starter/Meat Burner turned Sales Guy (but I still light fires)
I think it will depend greatly upon which manufacturer you buy from. The increased labor costs for disassembly of the OEM strut tower to replace the shock could outweigh the cost of simply replacing the entire strut assembly. For example, I had the Rough County 2" strut/rear shock kit installed on my truck and the cost of that, including labor and alignment, was less than $900. I'd guess that book labor hours to disassemble/reassemble the OEM strut towers would be about 3 hours. Which is what it took to install the complete RC kit on my truck

Now, if you choose a kit that has an MSRP of $1400 or so for the strut replacement, then you might be better off from a cost-perspective just buying the shock and paying to have the OEM tower rebuilt. The question is: are the OEM struts engineered to accommodate the additional 2" of ride height/travel.
Sponsored