Sponsored

Front door panel / window creaking / rattling (Updated w/ Fix)

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
It absolutely resolved mine.
Sponsored

lcrain

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '95 911 c2, '97 miata, '98 M3/4/5
Was this a very light rattle? I have noticed a very light rattle from the drivers side and it seems to be from that same triangular area. So light that my GF cannot notice it in the passenger seat.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Truck is at the dealer and this is one of a few reasons beyond the first service. Thanks for the info in this thread, it has been driving me nuts trying to figure out where the noise is coming from.

KwitcherBitchin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agate Black XLT
As I put more miles on my truck (about 525 miles now), the door rattles started to get worse. I think it's less about miles and more about warmer weather in California. While driving I applied pressure to various parts of the door panel assembly and isolated the noise to the front triangular panel. It was hard for me to test the passenger side, but it sounded similar to what I was hearing from the drivers side.

I went ahead and removed both panels (they just pull off, start at the top. The bottom clips can be a little finicky but it just requires a little tweaking of your technique. Once removed I did three things:

1. Behind the triangular panel is a 7mm screw which holds the top of the door panel to the door itself. On both sides of my truck, that screw wasn't really snug. I noticed when applying pressure to that area, I could get a rattle/squeaking noise to occur. Don't go crazy, but tighten it a bit if it's loose. After doing that, I couldn't reproduce the noise.
  2. I used some thin felt tape to isolate the triangular trim piece from the door panel and door frame. This stuff is cheap and available from Amazon. I always keep some on hand for covering wires or sorting out rattles. I applied small pieces around each panel and also into the holes where the lower clips engage.
  3. Tightened both 10mm mirror nuts. One was barely snug on the driver's side.
After reassembly and a test drive, no more noises were coming from either door panel. YMMV for obvious reasons, but on my truck that's where the rattling was coming from.

20210305103241-76d90473-me.jpg

20210305103239-0fbd23cc-me.jpg

20210305103236-0a093412-me.jpg

20210305103224-07bf4cc9-me.jpg

20210305103232-5a6d9334-me.jpg

20210305103229-466ecb56-me.jpg

20210305103227-eabd1320-me.jpg
Thanks, fixed mine. I believe it was coming from the bottom 2 fasteners on mine.

Sponsored

CptBligh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 302A 4x4 3.5
Occupation
Ag
Another with this issue. Thanks for the thread

Mrtosh

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
X2 for another with this issue. I can get mine to stop by applying pressure to the door panel with my knee or placing my hand tightly between the door and dash. Wondering if mine is the same issue with the triangle piece by the mirror?

SEPA F150

First Name
Shiva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Raptor
I had the exact same issue from the driver side in my Platinum. This fix did the trick. Also did the passenger side too...just in case.

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
As I put more miles on my truck (about 525 miles now), the door rattles started to get worse. I think it's less about miles and more about warmer weather in California. While driving I applied pressure to various parts of the door panel assembly and isolated the noise to the front triangular panel. It was hard for me to test the passenger side, but it sounded similar to what I was hearing from the drivers side.

I went ahead and removed both panels (they just pull off, start at the top. The bottom clips can be a little finicky but it just requires a little tweaking of your technique. Once removed I did three things:

1. Behind the triangular panel is a 7mm screw which holds the top of the door panel to the door itself. On both sides of my truck, that screw wasn't really snug. I noticed when applying pressure to that area, I could get a rattle/squeaking noise to occur. Don't go crazy, but tighten it a bit if it's loose. After doing that, I couldn't reproduce the noise.
  2. I used some thin felt tape to isolate the triangular trim piece from the door panel and door frame. This stuff is cheap and available from Amazon. I always keep some on hand for covering wires or sorting out rattles. I applied small pieces around each panel and also into the holes where the lower clips engage.
After reassembly and a test drive, no more noises were coming from either door panel. YMMV for obvious reasons, but on my truck that's where the rattling was coming from.

20210305103241-76d90473-me.jpg

20210305103239-0fbd23cc-me.jpg

20210305103236-0a093412-me.jpg

20210305103224-07bf4cc9-me.jpg

20210305103232-5a6d9334-me.jpg

20210305103229-466ecb56-me.jpg

20210305103227-eabd1320-me.jpg
Thanks Uni, your fix worked on my passenger side rattle.

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Mine is rattling too. Going to check it out.

Sponsored

NateV

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
I hear more of a squeak or creaking noise up near my ear. Iv narrowed it down to the glossy door Pilar on driver side. When I push on it, it creaks. When I push on the other 4 doors they are quite.

Ford F-150 Front door panel / window creaking / rattling (Updated w/ Fix) 3B734108-F73D-451F-8814-085D741BECD2

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A

<snippet>
Yo, you were on the money. Thank you very much for this guide. There's an annoying rattle that developed on the passenger side, and following your instructions I've reduced it significantly by simply tightening up the screws. Of the three screws, the 7mm one that holds the door panel up was the loosest by far. Kinda concerning.

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
Yo, you were on the money. Thank you very much for this guide. There's an annoying rattle that developed on the passenger side, and following your instructions I've reduced it significantly by simply tightening up the screws. Of the three screws, the 7mm one that holds the door panel up was the loosest by far. Kinda concerning.
Yo yo yo! I'm glad to have helped. I'm OCD about squeaks and rattles unfortunately. I figure if folks can fix something themselves, the chances are they'll do a better job than a dealership with far more convenience. I've got another rattle which has developed (somewhere in the rear cabin) that is audio system related (B&O Unleashed) that I'll be looking into next week. Other than that, the interior has been pretty quiet after this fix.

OntarioWorkTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Big thanks to
unixadm!!
his step by step definitely took care of my rattle. Brand new 2021 with 300km on it and the rattle was enough to send me over the deep end. The lower bolt that tightens to the door panel was at best hand tight. I'm so glad the rattle is gone! Judging by all of us in the same boat seems like a chronic Ford problem?!
Been a lifelong GMC guy this is my first Ford hopefully this is not a sign of things to come my previous 2015 GMC Sierra was tight with no rattles or squeaks. Hope this new truck stays quiet :)

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Oh man, I can't thank everyone on here enough. I have had this rattle since getting the truck, and while rattles don't typically bother me too much, there was something special about this one. Maybe because music and that didn't really drown it out somehow (at least not at levels I listen to with wife/kids in the car). I thought it was the panel where the window controls were because pushing on that seemed to help.

While the dealer was fixing my carplay/hotspot/fordpass issue, they looked at it and took off that window control panel and put some padding and that in there to help, but it didn't, at all. Then I found this thread and fixed it myself in ten minutes and couldn't be happier. I took the truck on a short "torture" test over roads that always made it really stand out, and complete silence.

So thanks again!

Only thing I will warn some is if you have the Co-Pilot Active Prep package, that sensor in the driver side cover comes out with like, zero effort. I thought I had somehow broken the plastic that held it in place, but it seems to just be held by pressure... I dunno... but don't freak out if that seems to just fall out after you take off the cover.
Sponsored