First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Washer fluid does not freeze. Just a long way to send it.
It will certainly freeze, even the stuff rated at -20F. A couple of winters ago here where it was a high of about 15F for the week, my wife had issues with the rear washer jet in her SUV. It wouldn't work after the car sat and cooled off, but would after driving and the heat warmed things up. It was freezing in the lines just enough to keep it from working, but didn't break anything.

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
It will certainly freeze, even the stuff rated at -20F. A couple of winters ago here where it was a high of about 15F for the week, my wife had issues with the rear washer jet in her SUV. It wouldn't work after the car sat and cooled off, but would after driving and the heat warmed things up. It was freezing in the lines just enough to keep it from working, but didn't break anything.
I don't doubt you. Here up north we use -50 to -100 and have never had an issue with it freezing on any of our vehicles. My wife's Explorer has never had an issue and we have had -26 and colder this past winter.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
I tend to use the -35 stuff and add isopropyl alcohol to it. Not only does it not freeze up, but it also works quite well as a defrosting agent then.

Does tend to smell a little inside if you mix it too strong.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I tend to use the -35 stuff and add isopropyl alcohol to it. Not only does it not freeze up, but it also works quite well as a defrosting agent then.

Does tend to smell a little inside if you mix it too strong.
Great idea!

Beware, isopropyl alcohol will degrade the plastic and rubber parts in your windshield-washing system over time if too strong of a concentration. But you probably already knew that. ;)

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The best we can get in this area is -20F, but most places only have that in the fall/winter and it's 0F or +20F most of the time in stores. I started buying concentrate and mixing it myself though. The concentrate trends to work better and I can have it with a lower of higher freeze point as needed. More costly than just bottles of fluid, but for as often as I'm using it, it's negligible.
Sponsored