Front camera fault service required?

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I got a couple warning today as I was showing off the truck to some friends. I dont have a front camera (that I'm aware of). The fault stopped after I turned off the truck and hasnt come back.

Has anyone else experienced these faults?

Ford F-150 Front camera fault service required? 20210313_133008
Ford F-150 Front camera fault service required? 20210313_133220
Sponsored

Dave55N

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 highlander, 2007 Ranger
Check for a camera at the top of your windshield by the rear view mirror. I believe the truck uses it for lane keeping/Centring. Or maybe auto high beams?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
@smartin2232

Mine is in the shop right and apparently Ford (i have case open too) is using mine as a guinea pig because they don't know what is causing it.

They replaced the control module but that didn't fix it. Ford is having them run a bunch of test and a whole slew of different errors keep popping up.

One thing I told the dealership which has helped them is if the truck sits in the sun the error will come on 100% of the time so they can easily replicate it when Ford wants them to run another test.

Sounds like the next step is replacing the camera but that still doesn't answer all the other errors they are seeing when running the test.

I will keep you posted if they fix it.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I get that message in the mornings when moisture is on the windshield.
It self clears and it is fine the rest of the day

OP
OP

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I get that message in the mornings when moisture is on the windshield.
It self clears and it is fine the rest of the day
Not the issue some are having me included. Just had a 6 hour trip after stopping for gas and lunch on a hot sunny day with no moisture anywhere to be found, we got to listen to our warning beep every 10 seconds for the next 4 straights hours and to top it off when this happens we lose cruise control.

Its been in the shop for over a week, Ford is aware and working with the dealer to fix the issue.

smartin2232

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Cloud Network Engineer
@smartin2232

Mine is in the shop right and apparently Ford (i have case open too) is using mine as a guinea pig because they don't know what is causing it.

They replaced the control module but that didn't fix it. Ford is having them run a bunch of test and a whole slew of different errors keep popping up.

One thing I told the dealership which has helped them is if the truck sits in the sun the error will come on 100% of the time so they can easily replicate it when Ford wants them to run another test.

Sounds like the next step is replacing the camera but that still doesn't answer all the other errors they are seeing when running the test.

I will keep you posted if they fix it.
Did they replace your body control module? They are replacing my IPMA module tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

OP
OP

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Did they replace your body control module? They are replacing my IPMA module tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.
They did but that didn't fix it. Ford had them run a bunch if test because they can replicate it pretty easy by letting it sit in the sun for 30 min or so.

The next step is replace the front camera. They can't get one of those until end of August apparently. If that doesn't fix it probably start the buy back process.

Good luck on yours.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I know in the older models a few people had to get a new windshield.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Instead of replacing the IPMA, I got the run around again
774D2542-5ACF-4491-BB4F-CE5D81CE14E9_1_105_c.jpeg
Its ridiculous how poor Ford service is. I don't have a lift and get the issue, its obviously not the lift.

Does your happen when it sits out in the sun? That is when mine is triggered.

I can order anything in the world from Amazon in 2 days but Ford has no idea when a Front Camera can be delivered to a Ford dealer, its BS. If you are still struggling to get yours fixed by the end of Aug (when my camera may show up) I will let you know if replacing the camera fixed the issue.

Neo_rules

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Platinum
I have a 2020 F150 FX4 Platinum.
Been fighting with the front camera issue since 1249 miles.
First I got lines on the monitor for the front camera and the back camera would blank out.
They told me it was the high mount (forward facing camera) drawing too much current.
They replaced it and poof it went out again.
Then I kinda settled into a routine where I got no more errors (and the associated lane keeping, adaptive cruise etc locking out when it fails) and was just using the truck.

Then they said "hey we found the problem and we have a recall to do on it"
UGHHHHHH now they can't get the calibration correct.
It hardly ever gets two lanes at the same time (my wife's 2015 fusion does just fine on the same roads) or it gets a lane, pulls the truck towards the line and then pulls the truck straight over it while vibrating the wheel.

The first couple times they tried they calibrated it on a rainy day. The second I am sure it was dusk out.
Now I sometimes will get two lines and the truck behaves but only in early morning or after a light rain?
And the weird part is the lane keeping works better on faded lines on the left then bright clear lines on a dark road on the right.... Whatever.

It is so finicky and bizarre.
I have started the buy back with a lawyer but they think I would probably get more on trade right now due to the shortage of late model trucks.... OMG I am soo tired of Ford right now.

OP
OP

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
It is so finicky and bizarre.
I have started the buy back with a lawyer but they think I would probably get more on trade right now due to the shortage of late model trucks.... OMG I am soo tired of Ford right now.
Well Ford is still trying to work on my issue. Currently my Pre-collision alert NEVER turns off, it used to only happen when the Truck sat in the sun but since they replaced the control board its completely broken. Now that the pre-collision never turns off I don't have adaptive cruise, regular cruise, lane departure or any safety features.

The new dealer I am working with ordered a new front camera but Ford being Ford that will take 3 MONTHS. If replacing the Front Camera does not fix the issue I also will be doing a buyback. Insane how its taken 5 MONTHS to fix this. Luckily in my state Ford can charge me for usage but that usage stops the 1ST time I brought it in to be fixed. Truck has 6500 miles but I first brought it in at 1000.

I went to a few Ford dealers and all of them are currently lowballing their trade values, plus some are adding a $5000 market adjustment. These guys are desperate to sell cars and make money so best to try and sell it yourself if you go that route.

Neo_rules

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Platinum
These guys are desperate to sell cars and make money so best to try and sell it yourself if you go that route.
Yeah I figured.
They keep trying to get me to trade it in on a $77K truck with a $55K trade in... I lolz every time.
Same truck as mine but a year newer and $17K more in price plus tax,tags,title etc...

And I put $1000 down, give them my truck and hope they start shipping soon?
Ford has lost it in my mind.
Their new CEO is off the chain.
Got rid of almost every passenger car in the US market to only sell Hybrid fusions, electric mustangs and all manner of trucks and SUV's.

The lawyer said my best bet is they offer me a cash settlement and either I keep the truck or sell it up to me.
sigh....
Sponsored