• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
My reasons are:

1. resale with 7.2kW generator (want as much as I can get for my Lightning whenever it becomes affordable to me!).
2. 7.2kW generator - will be nice to still have home backup, and use it camping
3. I'm about 60% city driving currently, and empty or with just a couple kids for that. I feel like this is ideal for the Powerboost. maybe I'll see an mpg benefit. I do like the idea of potentially better mileage though. Really don't want a gas guzzler and am willing to pay a bit to save some gas. Kind of the same mentality I have with my solar panel system.
4. The powerboost sounds like fun to me too.

The 2.7L is a strong contender for me though, I will say that. saves a bit over $3k initial cost. I definitely don't need 10k+ lb towing capacity. Most I'll see is probably 5-6k lbs. So yeah, 2.7 fits the bill too.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My reasons are:

1. resale with 7.2kW generator (want as much as I can get for my Lightning whenever it becomes affordable to me!).
2. 7.2kW generator - will be nice to still have home backup, and use it camping
3. I'm about 60% city driving currently, and empty or with just a couple kids for that. I feel like this is ideal for the Powerboost. maybe I'll see an mpg benefit. I do like the idea of potentially better mileage though. Really don't want a gas guzzler and am willing to pay a bit to save some gas. Kind of the same mentality I have with my solar panel system.
4. The powerboost sounds like fun to me too.

The 2.7L is a strong contender for me though, I will say that. saves a bit over $3k initial cost. I definitely don't need 10k+ lb towing capacity. Most I'll see is probably 5-6k lbs. So yeah, 2.7 fits the bill too.
Make sure you check real world fuel economy numbers. I was hopeful when I got my 2.7L - and it is a great little motor for power and low end torque, but I get about the same fuel economy as I used to get in my old 4.6L V8 3V in my 2010 SCAB (putting on the KO2 tires didn't help either, love them though).

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
The reported mpg on the Powerboost has been turning me off. Too many people just not getting much (if any) better results than my 2016 XLT with a 2.7L (about 15mpg real world). Plus we want to go full electric! The fuel savings offsets the higher upfront cost.
If a Powerboost can equal a 2.7 in mileage, I would consider that as a good thing.
A fully loaded luxury yacht with 600ftlbs of torque AND a built in 7.2KW generator is impressive at 20-24mpg. (depending on typical usage)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If a Powerboost can equal a 2.7 in mileage, I would consider that as a good thing.
A fully loaded luxury yacht with 600ftlbs of torque AND a built in 7.2KW generator is impressive at 20-24mpg. (depending on typical usage)
I only get 15-16 mpg on my 2.7L - I would love 20....or even 18.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I only get 15-16 mpg on my 2.7L - I would love 20....or even 18.
That's even more interesting in the context of your earlier statement. When you read the multiple mpg threads for the Powerboost, while I admit that the variance is fairly large, don't you see that most folks are reporting substantially better mileage than you say you get with your 2.7?

I've read most of those threads myself, as well as I have had a Powerboost for about 8 months, and I feel that my experience is really pretty common. At least for those that live in similar climate and similar usage.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That's even more interesting in the context of your earlier statement. When you read the multiple mpg threads for the Powerboost, while I admit that the variance is fairly large, don't you see that most folks are reporting substantially better mileage than you say you get with your 2.7?

I've read most of those threads myself, as well as I have had a Powerboost for about 8 months, and I feel that my experience is really pretty common. At least for those that live in similar climate and similar usage.
Sounds like you have been following it closer than I have. Here is the most recent one I saw (claiming 16-17 mpg highway).

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/terrible-mpg-in-my-2021-f150-powerboost.7005/

For mine - we did a family road trip over the summer - about 2400 miles total, almost completely highway. Truck averaged 16mpg (guess-o-meter and manually calculated).

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Texas interstate is the only time my Platinum Powerboost is only marginally better than my 2018 KingRanch 3.5EB was.

I do a round-trip of about 400 miles anytime I visit my 90 year old dad. It's an 80mph run with some portions at 70-75mph. Depending on wind, that's a 19-20mpg trip in the Powerboost, while my Ecoboost was 18-19mpg.

But ALL driving other than interstate driving, the Powerboost is 22-25mpg, which is ~20%+ better mileage.
Still, that's not the primary reason I purchased it but it is icing on the cake.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
As a multi-Tesla owner, and current and former owner of many Fords, and decidedly not an EaglesPDX fan, I'll weigh in that Ford most definitely makes more reliable products than Tesla, and I'm fairly confident that the Lightning will be far better sorted than most Teslas, certainly with higher build quality. However, EaglesPDX's Tesla-bashing and Mach-E defense is fanbiosim to the extreme. He is simply a pit bull clamped onto an idea and insists he's gonna win. Let him go.

The Mach E has decent build quality. And it has documented issues. Fewer than Tesla, but it does have some. And Ford is late with blue cruise software, has OTA issues, and the fact that it craps out DC fast charging at 80% is inexcusable - makes the Mach E difficult/slow to use for road trips. And no matter what Eagles says, the DC fast charge experience with any non-Tesla product is still hit-or miss, being reported and doubled down every day. But the reliability differential is a real thing. My MX is going in this week for its FIFTH set of front half shafts - a basic design flaw. 2018 Raven with 36k miles. I would not own a Tesla out of warranty. A Ford, yes.
Agreed ??

The software for these EV’s and charging network is so important, definitely agree. Personally I’d be comfortable owning both out of warranty, but that’s just a personal opinion. I hope Ford does figure all of this out though with the software. I don’t think there is an excuse for sync 4 and other software being like this in 2022, Ford needs to go on a spending spree and hire better talent for this.

how has the software been for you on your MX? OTA updates?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Personally, I'd own a Model 3/Y out of warranty, but an X? No way.
Yeah unfortunately a friend of a friend has multiple teslas, all reliable except the MX is giving him trouble. He still loves it tho.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Stop being purposely misleading by cutting off the first half of my sentence when quoting me.

AP is a "distant second" OVERALL, according to CR, when you consider how it works when someone is using it incorrectly (not paying attention or asleep/incapacitated). They gave Tesla top ratings in "Capability and Performance" as well as "Ease of Use", which is what my quote was referring to.

So, my FULL quote, is accurate.

So, as far as how it works when the driver is using it correctly, Autopilot is the best according to CR.
Sharing only half a sentence in order to misrepresent my position is very dishonest.

OP
OP
Diabolical!

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
Might be good to close this thread. It was started by a non-buyer claiming he's "out" when he was never 'in" and promoted by another non-buyer who just repeats a proven false premise.
I was in. Day one reservation. Nearly $75k for an XLT with 300 miles of range took me out. This was simply a thread for like-minded people to say, "I'm out." You guys turned this into another multi page Tesla v. Ford thread, not me.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
And to everyone now planning for a Pro - good luck getting one of the 500 they make.

Seriously eye opening experience from Ford, I seriously doubt I’ll ever buy a Ford vehicle after this cluster.

Rivian R1T here I come (1H 2023 delivery date).

I’m Out!
I have a friend who drives an R1T for his job. He couldn't rave more about it if he tried. It is his impression that Rivian is going to define what an electric truck & SUV are going forward. Everyone else is just going to work to keep up.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.