• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
So your advice is to wait until Ford announces the last year of production of a vehicle and snatch one then?
Lol, I know right? I just think a lot of people would better off waiting until job 2. The EV isn’t going anywhere, it’s what all manufacturers are moving towards. It’s the 5.0 V8 next on the chopping block probably ? Ford unfortunately needs more time to become a reliable EV manufacturer. Most of my Ford’s have been good to me but I also don’t underestimate Ford’s ability to mess up. (OTA updates, blue cruise, panoramic sunroofs (failed x3 for me), earlier generation ecoboost engines, mach-e/ powerboost electrical/ software issues, etc).

Nice looking powerboost ??
Sponsored

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Right, XLT makes no sense. XLT ER might as well go Lariat. XLT SR is an awful deal compared to the Pro unless you just HAVE to have *factory* painted bumpers and cloth seats even if it costs you $13k.
The only way I'm going XLT SR instead of a Pro is if I don't get in an early wave. I want a new vehicle this year. I really want the Lariat ER, but we can find a lot better things to spend $40k on. The cost of getting the automatic transfer switch installed is also a huge unknown, and looking to be something I can live without. Those threads are indicating a lot higher estimates than I think a lot of us were considering.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Lol, I know right? I just think a lot of people would better off waiting until job 2. The EV isn’t going anywhere, it’s what all manufacturers are moving towards. It’s the 5.0 V8 next on the chopping block probably ? Ford unfortunately needs more time to become a reliable EV manufacturer. Most of my Ford’s have been good to me but I also don’t underestimate Ford’s ability to mess up. (OTA updates, blue cruise, panoramic sunroofs (failed x3 for me), earlier generation ecoboost engines, mach-e/ powerboost electrical/ software issues, etc).

Nice looking powerboost ??
I just don't understand the appeal of automatic driving yet. No manufacturer is close to a system I'd bet my family's life on. All its good for now is eating a hamburger while driving and then taking back the wheel.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I just don't understand the appeal of automatic driving yet. No manufacturer is close to a system I'd bet my family's life on. All its good for now is eating a hamburger while driving and then taking back the wheel.
I use it mostly for moments that I need to take my hands off the wheel very briefly, on a very straight highway, with no cars around me ?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Consumer Reports reliability is based on owners surveys and car tests vs youropinion. Evidence for Ford doing a good job vs. an internet troll.
The same poll showing Tesla reliability issues found that Tesla owners had the highest likelihood to repurchase a Tesla for any poll ever taken in CR's history. Both things can exist in the same place. My Teslas have been the most unreliable vehicles that I have ever owned. Also the best vehicle ownership experience that I've ever had short of my adventure motorcycles = truly life changing, amazing every time I drive a Tesla - especially now with FSD beta in action. Being unreliable and somewhat poor construction/build quality and still being amazing, good ownership experiences are totally consistent according to Tesla owners, over 90% of whom would buy another, and most of whom would never go back to internal combustion. i"m not in that boat, love my motorcycles, Porsche, Powerboost, etc., but it is a thing. Totally consistent.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
......... . i"m not in that boat, love my motorcycles, Porsche, Powerboost, etc., but it is a thing. Totally consistent.
Must be my brother from another mother?

Yamaha SuperTenere, KTM 500EXC, Porsche 987.1, Mazdarati (ND Miata), and my fabulous Platinum Powerboost.

I'd buy every single one of them again, but that doesn't mean I don't need my barn and my tools. :)

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The same poll showing Tesla reliability issues found that Tesla owners had the highest likelihood to repurchase a Tesla.
That's nice now back to reliability that even loyal Tesla owners noted was an issue.

MachE did better than any Tesla on reliability.

So to the question of Ford getting the F150EV right, the success of the MachE says Ford will hit another home run with the F150.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
All its good for now is eating a hamburger while driving and then taking back the wheel.
It certainly is good for that especially with a Mediterranean Veggie sandwich from Panera. Takes two hands or it comes apart.

GM's Cruise, which tops Tesla in the assisted driving software, does it better as it has camera watching you vs. having to turn the wheel every 30 secs with the Tesla.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The same poll showing Tesla reliability issues found that Tesla owners had the highest likelihood to repurchase a Tesla for any poll ever taken in CR's history.
That’s just the thing. CR surveys brand new owners to *guess/predict* reliability. They don’t follow up with ppl 6-18 months into ownership. They are just guessing.

It’s why there are mach-e owners wishing they had gotten a Tesla and very few who wish they had gotten the Mach-e instead of their Tesla. Tesla owners are more loyal, they know that Tesla makes the most reliable EV right now despite its quality control flaws. Hopefully Ford can iron out the Mach-e issues so they don’t carry over into the Lightning.

do you plan on getting a Tesla?

Last edited:

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It certainly is good for that especially with a Mediterranean Veggie sandwich from Panera. Takes two hands or it comes apart.

GM's Cruise, which tops Tesla in the assisted driving software, does it better as it has camera watching you vs. having to turn the wheel every 30 secs with the Tesla.
Im wondering if I can eat sushi now with bluecruise ??

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Right, XLT makes no sense. XLT ER might as well go Lariat. XLT SR is an awful deal compared to the Pro unless you just HAVE to have *factory* painted bumpers and cloth seats even if it costs you $13k.
Or of you have to have the ER battery but refuse to buy leather seats or just want it at the lowest price available.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
CR surveys brand new owners to *guess/predict* reliability.
All owners of Tesla's. Not sure where you got the above misconception and we Tesla owners know what reliability problems we've had and they are extensively documented.

Back to this point, Ford's MachEV is well built super successful EV, more reliable than the top EV maker in the world on Ford's first try for main stream EV. It gives us confidence Ford will be as succcesful on F150EV.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
That’s just the thing. CR surveys brand new owners to *guess/predict* reliability. They don’t follow up with ppl 6-18 months into ownership. They are just guessing.

It’s why there are mach-e owners wishing they had gotten a Tesla and very few who wish they had gotten the Mach-e instead of their Tesla. Tesla owners are more loyal, they know that Tesla makes the most reliable EV right now despite its quality control flaws. Hopefully Ford can iron out the Mach-e issues so they don’t carry over into the Lightning.

do you plan on getting a Tesla?
Huh? As a CR member for 40+ years, I can tell you that their surveys are ONLY for actual owner with experience over a period of time. Yes, first year is included, but also multiple years. They track the entire first five years service experience in their database for every model of car sold in the US, longer for some. There is a lot to criticize in CR's methodology, but it isn't true that they are asking owners to predict anything - their survey asks very specific questions about automotive systems and issues, requiring owners to provide examples - and it is entirely experience/incident based, not predicting anything. Tesla does NOT make a reliable EV by a very long stretch. Mine have been abysmal from a repair perspective. My MX is going in this week for the fourth time in a year. I've NEVER had a car with that level of control over my life. Still love it, but would never own one out of warranty. My many Ford, however, and other marques, have been far more reliable.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
...never own one [Tesla] out of warranty.
75,000 and out of car warranty and soon out of battery warranty. Won't see an F150EV until '23 which would be in the 125,000 range.

Living on the edge.

The 2019 Model 3 has been problem free after the first year so I'm hoping I caught all the production bugs.

For dealing with warranty and service issues, I look forward to going back to the dealership model which works better than Tesla's "service center" model.

The MachE's have certainly avoided all the Tesla issues so the F150 should also.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Back to this point, Ford's MachEV is well built super successful EV, more reliable than the top EV maker in the world on Ford's first try for main stream EV. It gives us confidence Ford will be as succcesful on F150EV.
People who actually own the Mach E directly contradict your opinion. You are a huge Mach E fan, I get it. Tesla makes the more reliable EV and will continue to do so until Ford can figure their biggest weakness: software. You are simply choosing to ignore facts at this point. I can’t help you ??‍♂
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.