• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
I've been excited to own a Lightning since 5/19/21 when I placed my reservation, even checking daily for any available updates. We were led to believe that a car company had finally created an affordable EV truck for the masses. For me it comes down to one fact: No one will be able to buy an extended range lightning for under $74,000.

I had every intention of going to my dealer to place an order tomorrow. This is not what I was hoping to be posting today, but I'm out. Enjoy your new trucks, everyone. They are beautiful.
Sponsored

TXLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
And to everyone now planning for a Pro - good luck getting one of the 500 they make.

Seriously eye opening experience from Ford, I seriously doubt I’ll ever buy a Ford vehicle after this cluster.

Rivian R1T here I come (1H 2023 delivery date).

I’m Out!

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
Not only this, but Fords whole presentation about lightning starting at under $40k doesn't even exist. They are making less than 5% of the Pro model available to retail consumers. Eff you ford for this huge bait and switch.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
They do this on purpose though because of the shear amount of orders and backlog? Like have people leave and then they can focus on the higher cost trucks that are more profitable for them and actually make those. It is bait and switch for sure.

“Yeah it’s a $40k truck but that model doesn’t have ER and also btw they’re gonna account for 5% of trucks made ?. So you want one or not?! Lines long come on bud, I got people waiting.”

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX
Occupation
Engineer
And to everyone now planning for a Pro - good luck getting one of the 500 they make.

Seriously eye opening experience from Ford, I seriously doubt I’ll ever buy a Ford vehicle after this cluster.

Rivian R1T here I come (1H 2023 delivery date).

I’m Out!
As I've posted on another thread, I'm in the exact same situation as you....and we aren't alone. I'm just hoping Rivian doesn't use Ford's pricing as justification to increase theirs.

Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I was expecting to pay $80k for a Lariat + ER ever since I took the survey Ford sent to me many months ago so I'm still sticking with my order.

It sucks for anyone who was planning on buying an XLT + ER though. I imagine some of those folks will buy it any way with the plan on selling it for a slight profit if it doesn't work out for them.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
It wouldn’t surprise me if they are using high prices to control demand. The prices plus paying sales tax against the full price before getting $7500 back in taxes (if BBB doesn’t pass with the POS credit) is helping squash my enthusiasm. I’m leaning towards being out. Being spoiled by my ‘21 pb isn’t helping. I really like my current truck, more than I thought I would. I expected to just use and enjoy it before trading it in against a Lightning. Keeping it for longer is looking more appealing now.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Not only this, but Fords whole presentation about lightning starting at under $40k doesn't even exist. They are making less than 5% of the Pro model available to retail consumers. Eff you ford for this huge bait and switch.
LOL at the people acting like Ford was going to make the $40k version readily available unlike bad, bad Tesla.

They make a few hundred Pros and then if you want anything meaningfully better (XLT ER), it's an extra $34k.

I'm ordering a Pro and when I get it, I get it. I'm not paying $34k EXTRA for the big battery and a few stupid things I don't need.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Honestly...I do think it was a bit of unrealistic expectations.

Most compact crossover EVs are in the $50-60k range. Did people really expect a full size truck with a HUGE battery to come in at $60k 'ish?

However, I do think Ford was sly about how they promoted the Lightning. They were quick to point out the LOW price of $39k and the 300mi range...but were less obvious that you couldn't have BOTH in the same package.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I just configured the Lariat I want, and it is $81,284 for the lightning and $66,835 for the hybrid. Without a good knowledge of what the rebates will be, that's a little too steep for a first generation.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LOL at the people acting like Ford was going to make the $40k version readily available unlike bad, bad Tesla.

They make a few hundred Pros and then if you want anything meaningfully better (XLT ER), it's an extra $34k.

I'm ordering a Pro and when I get it, I get it. I'm not paying $34k EXTRA for the big battery and a few stupid things I don't need.

However.. as an aside if you think Tesla is going to make a $39k cybertruck or even a $69k(?) 500mi truck you're just as nuts...

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I was expecting to pay $80k for a Lariat + ER ever since I took the survey Ford sent to me many months ago so I'm still sticking with my order.
Same here, this doesn't change much for me. I wasn't hopeful being a Day 2 reservation but with all the Pro/XLT availability/pricing issue, there may be hope.

I see why Ford says the number of folks in each wave might change since this may happen:
Wave 1: Pro sells out
Wave 2: Pro buyers cancel/defer or go XLT standard battery, it sells out
Wave 3+: Ford realizes now half the folks are cancelling or deferring so they double the wave amounts to find buyers for the 63% Lariat+/Platinums they are building.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Honestly...I do think it was a bit of unrealistic expectations.

Most compact crossover EVs are in the $50-60k range. Did people really expect a full size truck with a HUGE battery to come in at $60k 'ish?

However, I do think Ford was sly about how they promoted the Lightning. They were quick to point out the LOW price of $39k and the 300mi range...but were less obvious that you couldn't have BOTH in the same package.
I agree - I think the disconnect is the expectation that the ER battery would not be a "super-premium" option that only goes with the high end trucks. Price a XLT SR without the options package and you have a decent large truck at a decent price. I mean, many of the EV's on the market right now are only in the 230 mile range as it is. And this is a massive truck that can haul, tow, and put 7.2kW out a 240V outlet.

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
However.. as an aside if you think Tesla is going to make a $39k cybertruck or even a $69k(?) 500mi truck you're just as nuts...
I'm not counting on any of those prices, but to be fair, Tesla said pretty shortly after the unveiling that the single-motor version was going to be bumped back to the last version produced because of demand for the 2/3 motor versions, so they were actually pretty up-front about the delayed availability of the cheap one. I wouldn't expect the single motor version for years, at this point.

Given the F-150 / Rivian / Hummer pricing, Tesla really has no reason to deliver a $49k 300-mile version. It could be $59k or even $69k and still be competitive.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same here, this doesn't change much for me. I wasn't hopeful being a Day 2 reservation but with all the Pro/XLT availability/pricing issue, there may be hope.

I see why Ford says the number of folks in each wave might change since this may happen:
Wave 1: Pro sells out
Wave 2: Pro buyers cancel/defer or go XLT standard battery, it sells out
Wave 3+: Ford realizes now half the folks are cancelling or deferring so they double the wave amounts to find buyers for the 63% Lariat+/Platinums they are building.
As someone who was leaning towards a Lariat anyway, this is all good news for me. I'm thinking there will be lots of cancelations, may be able to get my truck sooner.

(Sorry)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.