• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Based on Ford's projected sales, and surveys ran on this site and others, I think you're part of the majority. Most folks want the $80k Lariat+.
Not according to the Reddit survey.

The XLT ER (when it was expected to be $60k) was the most popular. The Pro SR was close behind. And Lariat ER was in 3rd.

XLT SR and Lariat SR were minimal.
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Making lego parts for new vehicles
I've been excited to own a Lightning since 5/19/21 when I placed my reservation, even checking daily for any available updates. We were led to believe that a car company had finally created an affordable EV truck for the masses. For me it comes down to one fact: No one will be able to buy an extended range lightning for under $74,000.

I had every intention of going to my dealer to place an order tomorrow. This is not what I was hoping to be posting today, but I'm out. Enjoy your new trucks, everyone. They are beautiful.
I think we should not just trash Ford for this, but the whole EV scene. Let me ask those that see it as the future, and it probably is, how does the single mom of 2 working 3 jobs pay for a $80K EV? Oh yeah those rebates and government incentives that give her a whopping 10k are going to go far. I'm all for clean air, and a cleaner environment, but right now EV's are just toys for the rich or well off.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm with you. Lariat+ for me. I just wish the moonroof wasn't forced on me, but the wife will be happy with it.
The worst part about the Lariat+ is that along with the moonroof you can only get an all black interior. Really questioning the intelligence in that decision. Hopefully you will be able to remote start with cab environment controls set for a particular temperature before getting in the vehicle.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I'm waiting however long I have to wait for the "Barebones" Pro. Of course Barebones is kinda redefined when you actually look at what it is.

Looks like the shock is mostly those from the historical legacy F150 XLT 302A value equation space. THAT makes sense too. It has always been a great bang for buck package. But it obviously doesn't translate to the EV platform.

But those who were already going to buy a loaded or a "Barebones" aren't experiencing the shock.
Same. I'm going Pro with Max Tow (additional cooling + increased tow rating) and 9.6kW output.

There's basically no middle-ground truck anymore.

You either want one of the few hundred pros, or you're looking at $75k+.

The demand for XLT SR is, unsurprisingly, small, because it's an awful value compared to the Pro... which is actually pretty well-featured. Like you said, it's not really barebones.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think we should not just trash Ford for this, but the whole EV scene. Let me ask those that see it as the future, and it probably is, how does the single mom of 2 working 3 jobs pay for a $80K EV? Oh yeah those rebates and government incentives that give her a whopping 10k are going to go far. I'm all for clean air, and a cleaner environment, but right now EV's are just toys for the rich or well off.
They don't ...... but then again they can pay for the $30K EV

Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
I've been excited to own a Lightning since 5/19/21 when I placed my reservation, even checking daily for any available updates. We were led to believe that a car company had finally created an affordable EV truck for the masses. For me it comes down to one fact: No one will be able to buy an extended range lightning for under $74,000.

I had every intention of going to my dealer to place an order tomorrow. This is not what I was hoping to be posting today, but I'm out. Enjoy your new trucks, everyone. They are beautiful.
ER is over rated. In 11 months my SR MachE has never made me wish I had an ER battery. Charging away from home on the rare days we drive over 200 miles is pretty much never an issue. I do stop at RaceTrac on occasion to get a free coffee or use my points to get ice cream for the little one.

One time we got home late and I forgot to plug it in and charge. Next day we went 50 miles first thing and ran down to 25% battery. Horrors, I had to plug in an charge for free at Whole Foods as we ate at dinner.

If a person actually drives enough to need ER the $10k will be far more than offset by fuel savings. How many of us actually drive 200+ miles a day every day?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Exactly! I said this months ago, a comparably equipped hybrid will be 25k less. Where is the value in getting the EV? Aside from driving clean, which is very important to me, there are no savings over ICE. At least not 25k in savings. My wife and I do okay but we aren't rich. So yeah I am way TF out. Too expensive.
Well to be fair ~$80k - $66k is $14k (not $25k).

Fuel(10.000mi/yr) = 23mpg(hybrid)@ $3.25/gal = $1413 annual fuel costs Vs 4347 KwH@ 0.133(avg elec rate) needed (based on 2.3mi/KwH)== $578

$835 fuel savings/yr

Subtract a $7500 tax credit(possible)... we end up with $14k- 7500= $6500/835 = 7.78 yrs breakeven.

Of course there are other costs and this assumes gas price constant, elec price constant, tax credit, etc. But its not a bad comparison. Also keep in mind the ER will have 536hp and much more performance oriented so it isn't exactly apples to apples.

Also, factor oil changes, transmission oil changes, spark plugs, etc.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
lmao........can someone, anyone please tell me where Ford said they were making an "affordable F-150 for the masses"? Anyone? Tesla Fanbois are all over this site right now. They never thought the Lightning would be out before the $100k Cybertruck lol

Uhhh, skip to 24:25...lol. Love the Ford apologists coming out now haha. Starts at $39,974 and that's before federal and state tax incentive wowwwwww. Yeah ok, forgot to mention most would be 80k trucks. Kinda a big difference.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Uhhh, skip to 24:25...lol. Love the Ford apologists coming out now haha. Starts at $39,974 and that's before federal and state tax incentive wowwwwww. Yeah ok, forgot to mention most would be 80k trucks. Kinda a big difference.

Uhhhh, it starts under $40k and no where in that presentation did he say for the "Masses" ....nice try though.....

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
ER is over rated. In 11 months my SR MachE has never made me wish I had an ER battery. Charging away from home on the rare days we drive over 200 miles is pretty much never an issue. I do stop at RaceTrac on occasion to get a free coffee or use my points to get ice cream for the little one.

One time we got home late and I forgot to plug it in and charge. Next day we went 50 miles first thing and ran down to 25% battery. Horrors, I had to plug in an charge for free at Whole Foods as we ate at dinner.

If a person actually drives enough to need ER the $10k will be far more than offset by fuel savings. How many of us actually drive 200+ miles a day every day?
From your profile, you live in Florida, so you aren't really familiar with cold weather range reduction. Up in the northeast (and many other places in the country) you have to plan for that. We have a Mach-E GT (just received). Yesterday and today, the range estimate has been 160mi and not the EPA rating of 270 miles (yes, I know that is just the guess-o-meter, but it is a 40% reduction which is expected. Driving on a highway will reduce it further, and for daily use you want to stay between 10% and 90% on the battery. Put that all together and the 230 mile SR battery is really a ~90 to ~100 mile battery on cold winter day on the highway. Lower if you are driving through snow/slush. The ER battery gives more margin which is really needed for some folks.

The ER battery also comes with a rather substantial bump in Horsepower and charging rates which is also important for some.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Maybe I'm missing something, but this is the power boost config I used

F150 Hybrid.JPG
Depends what options you put in the truck. For instance, I did not do the FX4 package. And, certain options eliminate other more expensive options.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10

? Wondering why we waiting on a Pro is hard to do? My guess is odds of getting a $43k Pro before any $70k cyber truck is pretty high. 2023 is just round the corner.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Well to be fair ~$80k - $66k is $14k (not $25k).

Fuel(10.000mi/yr) = 23mpg(hybrid)@ $3.25/gal = $1413 annual fuel costs Vs 4347 KwH@ 0.133(avg elec rate) needed (based on 2.3mi/KwH)== $578

$835 fuel savings/yr

Subtract a $7500 tax credit(possible)... we end up with $14k- 7500= $6500/835 = 7.78 yrs breakeven.

Of course there are other costs and this assumes gas price constant, elec price constant, tax credit, etc. But its not a bad comparison. Also keep in mind the ER will have 536hp and much more performance oriented so it isn't exactly apples to apples.

Also, factor oil changes, transmission oil changes, spark plugs, etc.
Yes. Also, don't forget brake pads........

For the 10,000 mile service on my Mach E I paid $23. Tire rotation and they inspected fluids and other items. I changed the cabin air filter for about $10.

A DIY oil change on my 2018 F150 cost me About $80, a set of front brake pads was another $200 (if I remember right). Add another $15 for an engine air filter.

You're probably much closer to $1000 savings per year..............and I don't see gas getting any cheaper anytime soon
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.