Sponsored

FordPass Bluetooth (Direct connection) VS Cellular (Cloud connection)

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yeah, although the Powerboost world is small, and even smaller for those that actually run their RV's off of them, I don't think I've ever seen this specific function discussed during the very small time frame I claim that it did.
It makes me wonder if I have lost my mind and imagined the whole thing? ??
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Yeah, although the Powerboost world is small, and even smaller for those that actually run their RV's off of them, I don't think I've ever seen this specific function discussed during the very small time frame I claim that it did.
It makes me wonder if I have lost my mind and imagined the whole thing? ??
Weren’t you the one running around the campsite in your underwear? Naw. You’re fine.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Well, this is disappointing. Here is an excerpt from p. 155 of the Owner’s Guide. Look at the fifth note under “Remotely Starting the Vehicle”:

Remotely Starting the Vehicle

Note: You can also use FordPass to start the vehicle.

Note: The turn signal lamps flash twice.

Note: The parking lamps turn on when the vehicle is running.

Note: The horn sounds if the system fails to start.

Note: All other vehicle systems remain off when you have remotely started the vehicle.

Note: The vehicle remains secured when you have remotely started the vehicle. A valid key must be inside your vehicle to switch the ignition on and drive your vehicle.

Sounds like you can’t operate the generator from a remote start.

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm never going to give up. :)

One of you gurus will figure out how to bypass the if-this/then-that nature of the gimped remote start state. I don't know when or how, but it's a possibility.

Or, there will be some kind of out-of-the-box thinking that will allow for a remote start to be a full start. Some way of triggering the push button start command as if you actually pushed it?

These trucks are amazing! They don't frustrate me nearly as much as they intrigue. :)

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I'm never going to give up. :)

One of you gurus will figure out how to bypass the if-this/then-that nature of the gimped remote start state. I don't know when or how, but it's a possibility.

Or, there will be some kind of out-of-the-box thinking that will allow for a remote start to be a full start. Some way of triggering the push button start command as if you actually pushed it?

These trucks are amazing! They don't frustrate me nearly as much as they intrigue. :)
Good to be optimistic. But the Owner’s Guide suggests to me that the generator was never accessible via a remote start. Surprised me. So, it isn’t a function that was lost and can be restored. It will pretty much be a new function that will have to be created from scratch by someone with far more knowledge of the software coding than I have. That could take some time and inclination among the FORScan experts. I don’t know if the module that controls the remote start has even been mapped yet or that FORScan can access and write to it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I gotta live with my recollection of first playing with the truck when I got it home as NOT being exactly what I thought it was. The evidence is strong enough that I just have to eat my old-timers crow.

Just makes me want it more though. It's the perfect feature for the Powerboost. They should at least hide an Easter egg FOB sequence that makes a remote start a remote start, but with FordPass Bluetooth controls fully functional. FordPass should be considered secure. Like a key.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I gotta live with my recollection of first playing with the truck when I got it home as NOT being exactly what I thought it was. The evidence is strong enough that I just have to eat my old-timers crow.

Just makes me want it more though. It's the perfect feature for the Powerboost. They should at least hide an Easter egg FOB sequence that makes a remote start a remote start, but with FordPass Bluetooth controls fully functional. FordPass should be considered secure. Like a key.
No. No dining on crow. The function seems so logical that I initially couldn’t conceive of it being designed any other way. Look around a primitive campground and you’ll see plenty of generators that can be remote-controlled. It makes sense.

But that is the perspective of a camper. Ford might not have been looking at it the same way we are. A lot of early marketing materials seemed to be targeted to contractors. Unlikely you’d be overly concerned about remotely starting a generator if your intent was to fire up a welder or circular saw.

Maybe Ford will take another look.

Pointman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB 302A
I'm not having any success connecting to the propower via Bluetooth. Is there a certain order to do things to allow the fordpass app to run the propower? My phone shows the truck connected to Bluetooth and fordpass, but when I pull up the propower on fordpass it only is connected to cellular.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I'm not having any success connecting to the propower via Bluetooth. Is there a certain order to do things to allow the fordpass app to run the propower? My phone shows the truck connected to Bluetooth and fordpass, but when I pull up the propower on fordpass it only is connected to cellular.
This has happened to me as well. Go to the Sync screen and verify that it shows that the phone is connected to the truck. Last time this happened to me, my phone, like yours, showed all the appropriate connections. But for some reason the truck showed that my phone was disconnected. When I reconnected it on the truck side, Bluetooth to Pro Power came back.

EDIT: Unfortunately, this is continuing to happen to me as well. I was able to get it working a couple of times but it is buggy and unreliable. What you need to do is go to the Sync screen and select Apps. Then go to your phone and open the FordPass app. When you do that, an icon should appear on the Sync screen called FordPass. Open it and make sure all of the permissions are enabled. You may have to open and close the FordPass app on your phone several times before the FordPass app appears on the Sync screen under Apps.

Apparently, this Bluetooth/Pro Power connection is more than just a Bluetooth connection. It’s something called Applink and to work, not only do you need a Bluetooth connection, FordPass apps have to be open and operating on both the phone and on Sync simultaneously. Problem is, most of the time the latter isn’t working. It doesn’t start up automatically most of the time and sometimes you can’t get it going at all.

Last edited:

Pointman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB 302A
Jeb, I did what you explained by going to fordpass on the Sync screen. When I pulled up Propower on my phone sure enough it was connected with Bluetooth. Not sure if it will connect on it's own in the future without going to the Sync app screen, but glad to know it can be done manually if needed.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Jeb, I did what you explained by going to fordpass on the Sync screen. When I pulled up Propower on my phone sure enough it was connected with Bluetooth. Not sure if it will connect on it's own in the future without going to the Sync app screen, but glad to know it can be done manually if needed.
Glad you were able to get it to work.

Unfortunately, I don’t find it all that useful in practice even when it does work and I use the generator pretty frequently. The Applink seems to terminate whenever the phone screen locks and you can’t always get it going again outside the truck.. And since you can’t start the truck remotely and then use the app to start the generator remotely (at least I haven’t found a way), it kind of defeats the purpose of the Bluetooth enhanced controls. If you already have to climb in the cab to start the truck, might as well just start the generator from there.

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
Finally got my ProPower -FordPass app working with Bluetooth. As stated above, make sure your FordPass app appears in the app list under Apps and both are running (phone and sync4). I have a iPhone 11 and just verified I'm connected via BT. Thanks everyone on this forum for your help.

Ford F-150 FordPass Bluetooth (Direct connection) VS Cellular (Cloud connection) 1660492299967

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well done!

There's so much going on under the surface on these amazingly sophisticated trucks. It's kind of amazing that you could actually have everything working properly at any given moment. 🤣

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Well done!

There's so much going on under the surface on these amazingly sophisticated trucks. It's kind of amazing that you could actually have everything working properly at any given moment. 🤣
And that does make me nervous every time I'm away from home, especially when I'm towing. If the truck bricks while I'm home, while ticked off, I can deal with it easy enough. But if the truck bricks while I'm 800 miles from home while pulling the trailer, Mt Everest big problem.

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
If FORD would make the generator available with a remote start, this would fix the dreaded double honk problem that you would get when you close the door with the truck running and the key in your pocket. Who wants to leave the key in the truck while it’s running for the generator anyway. Ford does it for the police truck so why can’t it be an option for my truck? Al least make it an option on the screen that we can chose.
Sponsored