Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Hi Folks,

I am thoroughly confused about the whole FordPass connectivity stuff. I was going to try out the "Journey Recording" since they just updated it. You have two choices now:
  • Automatically via AppLink
  • Off
Well... that makes the choice easy... however, under the "Learn more about Applink" link there is this little nugget of information:

Apple CarPlay Users

You must disable Apple CarPlay to be able to use FordPass.
So... in order to use the Journey Recordings feature I have to TURN OFF CarPlay?!!! What else is blocked?

Finally, does anyone find that connecting their iPhone via bluetooth and using Applink is better than CarPlay?

Loving the tech, but when I go to my service advisor and tell him about the issues I'm having (Sync4 resets to only two panels of preset radio stations, the dash menu makes me choose "My View" every time I get in the vehicle)... he just shrugged and said "Yeah, all that tech can be kinda glitchy." Not what you'd expect to hear about your brand new, stupidly expensive truck.
Sponsored

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon maybe 2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 Lead Foot
Occupation
Army
I love CarPlay. It's one of the things I'm most excited about (coming from a 2005 Acura TSX which didn't even have an aux input). AppLink is like Ford's version of CarPlay/Android Auto, so I guess it makes sense you can't use them together. And maybe there is no support for the FordPass app in CarPlay/Android Auto, so it's only compatible with AppLink?

In any case, I am also curious to hear about others' experience with AppLink. I don't think Ford can even get close to the usability/feature set of CarPlay/Android auto, and my car will most likely always be on CarPlay.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
When I recently rented a new Mustang the carplay implementation was really nice. I found that I could pull up a destination on my phone while walking to the car and then as soon as I got in and started it up it would immediately begin navigation to that destination. Made it so I never wanted to use the built in nav. Only drawback was that it chewed through data so I would need to go to an unlimited plan.

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I love CarPlay. It's one of the things I'm most excited about (coming from a 2005 Acura TSX which didn't even have an aux input). AppLink is like Ford's version of CarPlay/Android Auto, so I guess it makes sense you can't use them together. And maybe there is no support for the FordPass app in CarPlay/Android Auto, so it's only compatible with AppLink?

In any case, I am also curious to hear about others' experience with AppLink. I don't think Ford can even get close to the usability/feature set of CarPlay/Android auto, and my car will most likely always be on CarPlay.
Oh... I 100% agree that CarPlay is awesome. Being able to use Waze for Navigation is great. (Although I have had the music via Spotify start going through cycles where it would cut off for 2 seconds every 5 seconds... pretty annoying.) Once my 3 months of free (as in beer) Sirius/XM radio is over, I'll probably cancel it and just stick with Spotify/Overcast/IHeartRadio for music & radio.

Being able to "short press" the voice command button for Sync4 and "long press" for Siri is also REALLY handy.

I am just really surprised that CarPlay and Applink (most specifically Fordpass, for the "Journeys" functionality) seem to be mutually exclusive.
Sponsored