• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I would be ok with tying the tax credit to a one year no sale clause. Easy to do, just make it so one could only collect if they still own the vehicle in the subsequent tax year, delaying the tex credit to year 2.
Makes sense, to keep people from racking up the credit over and over again. Or, limit it to only being able to take the credit once every x years.
Sponsored

Kevv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Range Rover Infiniti Bronco
Occupation
Retired
How do you figure that won’t stop the dealership ADM?? If ya ain’t got the truck to sell ya can’t mark it up? And it’s Ford product to profit from, not mine, not yours or anybody else. Don’t buy it if you don’t want to ride it!
The Ford internal bulletin that was posted forbid dealers from charging an extra deposit
and no sale clause for a year if dealer wants they will support it
Bulletin does not mention/forbid ADM

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
The Ford internal bulletin that was posted forbid dealers from charging an extra deposit
and no sale clause for a year if dealer wants they will support it
Bulletin does not mention/forbid ADM
I hate that when that happens, I read a document and I think it says one thing, then, someone else reads it and understands it a totally different way. I’m sure Ford told all dealers to basically “Play fair OR we WILL pull your Lightning allocations for the entire MY22.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
Glad I screenshotted it. Ya know its funny how Ford tells the dealers "Don't be deceptive." Yet, they're engaged in shady work by telling them to remove it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Warns Dealers Against Additional Deposit / Payment Requirements For Lightning Orders. Supports No-Resale Provisions in Purchase Contracts 1641685052414

broncojohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Atlas, Prius
This type of scumbaggery is usually solved with a quick call to your local news station who will typically love to do a story on how a car dealer is playing with its customers and trying to swap prices on them last minute to reap extra profit during trying times. First call from the reporter to the GM of the dealership asking for comment will likely get that fixed.
Good tips, I thought about doing something of that nature...

Sponsored

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
I'm not sure I understand this memo.

I paid $100 to Ford for a reservation -- which basically means nothing other than an opportunity to order.

At some point (hopefully soon), I will get to actually order the truck, spec it out how I want it, lock in price, and "secure" a dealer's allocation for that truck.

To me it seems perfectly reasonable that I'd pay a deposit (much larger than $100) at that time, so that the dealer isn't stuck with a truck they potentially didn't want, and that they have received consideration making our purchase agreement legally binding.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

I paid $100 to Ford for a reservation -- which basically means nothing other than an opportunity to order.

At some point (hopefully soon), I will get to actually order the truck, spec it out how I want it, lock in price, and "secure" a dealer's allocation for that truck.

To me it seems perfectly reasonable that I'd pay a deposit (much larger than $100) at that time, so that the dealer isn't stuck with a truck they potentially didn't want, and that they have received consideration making our purchase agreement legally binding.
In most cases the deposit is refundable. Also, at least for the time being, there is little danger that the dealers will get "stuck" with Lightning, regardless of the options being selected.

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
In most cases the deposit is refundable. Also, at least for the time being, there is little danger that the dealers will get "stuck" with Lightning, regardless of the options being selected.
Forsure, but if you're going to factory order any vehicle from any manufacturer, a deposit ($1000 to $2000?) is generally required. It solidifies the sales agreement from both dealer and customer side. I'm not sure why the lightning would be any different.

Requiring a deposit placed direclty with the dealer generally entails a sales agreement as well -- which would in turn prevent a dealer from doing an ADM when the vehicle arrives.

If Ford wanted to ensure "reputability" -- it seems that they should not have given dealers "priority slots".

This coming from somebody with a Bronco on order that is supposed to be built this month, having driven by a dealership with 7 broncos sitting out front waiting for sale.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Forsure, but if you're going to factory order any vehicle from any manufacturer, a deposit ($1000 to $2000?) is generally required. It solidifies the sales agreement from both dealer and customer side. I'm not sure why the lightning would be any different.

If Ford wanted to ensure "reputability" -- it seems that they should not have given dealers "priority slots".

This coming from somebody with a Bronco on order that is supposed to be built this month, having driven by a dealership with 7 broncos sitting out front waiting for sale.
The fact the ford caved and enabled some dealers to get stock before all reservations were delivered is really sad. Truly hoping they do better this time and I think they might since Ford has more rules on EV dealers.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
The fact the ford caved and enabled some dealers to get stock before all reservations were delivered is really sad. Truly hoping they do better this time and I think they might since Ford has more rules on EV dealers.
Yeah, this time they can learn to deliver reservations first. Then, next time, they can learn to deliver all these reservations….wait for it….in the order customers actually made them! Oh wow, baby steps. Ok ok easy for me to sit here and criticize, but I guess it’s kinda like trying to turn around a supertanker…..

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

Ford is trying to prevent dealers from charging you $10K (or some value) just to convert your reservation to an order. It’s not a deposit, it extortion (sort of). The amount paid doesn’t apply to the purchase price.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Remember that dealers received one or more mannequins that they may now be permitted to sell. I’ve seen the same spec Bronco for sale at two of my area dealerships. And one of the dealers had three or four others on display that were actually sold units awaiting delivery rather than retail units that were for sale.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE

Requiring a deposit placed direclty with the dealer generally entails a sales agreement as well -- which would in turn prevent a dealer from doing an ADM when the vehicle arrives.

I guess it depends on your relationship with that dealer really. I didn't pay a deposit for my Mach-E and haven't paid one for the Lightning order either. And my dealer has expressed that ADMs only hurt them in the long run when dealing with repeat longtime customers like me. So they don't do that either.

Mike

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Ford is trying to prevent dealers from charging you $10K (or some value) just to convert your reservation to an order. It’s not a deposit, it extortion (sort of). The amount paid doesn’t apply to the purchase price.
So are you suggesting that after last week's epiphany at the dealerships where there was only one invite from the dealer's priority list that they suddenly realized they could monetize bumping somebody to the top of the list in exchange for a significant financial remuneration?

Say it's not so!

M.