• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BuckingBronco

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Hey everyone, thanks for having me. First post here.

I was just wondering how the anti-capitalist mandate from a Ford dealer is going to help eager honest lightning reservees?

I would say if you were eager, you are in the original group of 200k preorders. Very eager, with a right to be upset about what happens with others' trucks, in the first hour or so following reservations going live.

I can assure you, as someone who ordered already, there was nothing about this clause so far anywhere in the process. So the first time my wave will see this is at pick up.

When these disgusting opportunists cancel their orders and the truck goes back to the dealer, is someone from wave 50 that reserved in November going to buy it off the lot for MSRP and skip the line? Or maybe someone who thought the preorder was a joke and skipped it entirely (peasants.. *scoffs*). Or will someone that really wants the lightning but already ordered in Wave 2 or 3 buy it. Leaving another already ordered truck to the dealer to sell at $50,0.. I mean MSRP.

They say the waves will happen 2 weeks apart, I wonder if Ford will make an official statement in that time.

Unless Ford makes the possible no-sell provision extremely public through an official channel and/or something you must check off acknowledgement of prior to ordering, they were not doing this for the customer. At all. The result of this (without the lucky leak we saw) would have been canceled units left and right sitting marked up 20-50k on lots.

If you think it is to prevent flipping when preorders reopen, they will be pumping out so many at that point there will be no arbitrage opportunity after tax/fee etc. I'd be shocked if its not just a memory at that point (the clause.)

The policy is bizarre for a mass production vehicle with an excessive msrp as is. Its even more bizarre as it comes from a huge USA based corporation, who just posted top sales in the nation. Henry Ford would be on the capitalism mount rushmore. I know I know, John Cena.. GT40..

I am fine with the people cheering this on out of emotion, but stop trying to justify it business-wise or economically. It will do nothing at all to help eager buyers to get their truck, or get it faster. With the exception of those who reserved way later, who are waiting so long due to their own inaction. Since the cancellations wont start for 20+ weeks, 10+ anticipated waves will have ordered before wave 11+ flippers cancel (maybe).

A booming secondary market will help ford be a trending status item, which I personally don't care about, but matters now. Half the Bronco buzz is from status seekers and the like seeing $125k tags for the FE's. Ford will lose barely any buyers if any. If anything itll bring a new demographic.

It is funny to see people cheering on the little guy in this case. The underdog. The guy buying a $100,000 F150. It is a necessity, that he will rely on daily. Because that's usually the use-case for someone buying a $100,000 new to market gadget. Cheering on him and the dealer that sold your spots to a "priority buyer".. nice.

"If you don't like the terms, don't buy the truck." The entire first half of the memo was saying surprises are wrong, and not representative of FMC. Which nearly 100% of FMC customers are celebrating. But the surprise additional language, an 8th of an inch down the page, is ok. And your response to concerned posters is...surprise surprise: "if you don't like the terms, don't buy the truck."

How does one reconcile that internally.

To the poster that said only Ford should profit, they developed and built the product. I agree wholeheartedly. Next open house I go to I'm bringing records of the original price to build + original land purchase price adjusted for inflation, that's my offer. How will that go? Any of you moving soon?

I honestly do feel for those who ordered in the first hour and weren't wave one and are upset. Your dealer likely sold your position prioritized their most loyal customer someone who bribed them.

The resale provision could have only saved you if it was publicly published by Ford directly and prior to ordering. Now a reservation holder will be out of their truck. You will still wait exactly the same time for your truck. The dealer will stop crying because he is the big dog again, and then sell that exact truck for $125k.

The first few hours group is the only one that actually could make a case for getting screwed. The rest is individual inaction. You have to own that. No reseller made you wait a day or 60 to put down your $100. This wasn't ps5 or a graphics card that a machine purchased 100% of available inventory before the page loaded. That is horrible, and we can agree on that. But, this was not that.
Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I guess anyone with a microphone and a camera can spread misinformation. Some youtubers are so intent on hearing their own words echo through the empty chambers of their mind, they are willing to say anything to get views.

"If you do sell it the value you get we can seek as injunctive relief."

Last edited:

Deleted member 9341

I guess anyone with a microphone and a camera can spread misinformation. Some youtubers are so intent on hearing their own words echo through the empty chambers of their mind, they are willing to say anything to get views.

"If you do sell it the value you get we can seek as injunctive relief."
Seriously. What a long-winded snoozer

Sponsored

Deleted member 9341

This happens. I know of a Cadillac dealer who (to avoid charging ADM on a new vehicle) would sell a new Escalade to someone who didn’t want it for MSRP, then immediately buy it back for an extra $1000. Said dealer would then sell the “used” Escalade for 10K or more over MSRP. F’N crazy!
You should see how Ferrari dealers play that game. This example is peanuts.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You should see how Ferrari dealers play that game. This example is peanuts.
Oh, I agree. But it‘s really abnormal to see it on more pedestrian vehicles where we‘re used to walking onto a dealer lot, pick one out of the 50 sitting there, then dickering the price down.

EVmeritus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla X, 2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
EV Activist
Regarding the first point of the Ford 1/7/22 letter to dealers - Additional Deposits or Payments for customers who are already on the reservation list:
If my designated dealer is asking for an additional deposit, does this potentially jeopardize my order ?
My current deposit is the $100 refundable deposit to Ford that was required with the reservation. The dealer now is asking for a $500 refundable deposit to the dealer, claiming that I will get the $100 deposit refunded from Ford.
Also the "Addition Payments" seems to address the dealer practice of markups over the MSRP and dealer installed goodies (Dealer adjustments)
If Ford follows through on their policy and redirects my designated dealership's allocation for the entirety of 22 MY F-150 Lightning does my reservation/order get reassigned to a compliant dealer with no loss of priority?
If not, how could I reassign my reservation/ order to a compliant dealer?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Regarding the first point of the Ford 1/7/22 letter to dealers - Additional Deposits or Payments for customers who are already on the reservation list:
If my designated dealer is asking for an additional deposit, does this potentially jeopardize my order ?
My current deposit is the $100 refundable deposit to Ford that was required with the reservation. The dealer now is asking for a $500 refundable deposit to the dealer, claiming that I will get the $100 deposit refunded from Ford.
Also the "Addition Payments" seems to address the dealer practice of markups over the MSRP and dealer installed goodies (Dealer adjustments)
If Ford follows through on their policy and redirects my designated dealership's allocation for the entirety of 22 MY F-150 Lightning does my reservation/order get reassigned to a compliant dealer with no loss of priority?
If you have been invited to order, and additional deposit at that time is perfectly normal (and expected). $500 seems to be the average one. The Ford letter is more against those saying (hey for $10k we will prioritize your order!).

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
$500 appears to be the default deposit. The $100 reservation deposit went to the dealer so that should be figured into the final price.

Sponsored

Begeorgy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport, F-150 Lightning on Order
I don't think Ford can demand anything, however if Ford were to OWN AND OPERATE their dealership vs them relying on the "<Insert name here> Family of Dealerships"... that might be different.
Then how will Ford point fingers when something goes wrong? If two people order Ford Mavericks 4 months apart (same trim) and second person gets his while the first person is waiting, who is getting a bad survey/phone call/review? Ford? Oh no Dealer is the bad guy and not doing their job

Ford ideally wants to be Tesla (own all dealers) but I don't think they can handle it (aside from laws preventing them). Ford doesn't care if customer pays extra for the vehicle. They made money the minute car leaves the plant. What they care about is competition (THEY ARE JUST SCARED). Tesla can sell more electric vehicles vs Ford so Ford loses and can't claim rewards. If Tesla charged extra for their vehicles (like Toyota,Honda, and every dealer in US) then we will not be talking about it.

Begeorgy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Additional deposit of $500-$1000 is totally fine. What Ford is really be looking for (and only power they have) is when they audit the dealership. If they see the Dealer added a customer a top priority and match it with $10000 deposit, then we have a problem. Dealer can prioritize ( we could do 25 people out of 150) so if I collect exact the same deposit then its a level plane. If not then its a problem. I work for Ford dealer. 11 years.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Additional deposit of $500-$1000 is totally fine. What Ford is really be looking for (and only power they have) is when they audit the dealership. If they see the Dealer added a customer a top priority and match it with $10000 deposit, then we have a problem. Dealer can prioritize ( we could do 25 people out of 150) so if I collect exact the same deposit then its a level plane. If not then its a problem. I work for Ford dealer. 11 years.
Interesting! I did not know there’s regular audits. How often do you see that happening? And is it spread evenly across dealers or are they looking for red flags before they do one?

Begeorgy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting! I did not know there’s regular audits. How often do you see that happening? And is it spread evenly across dealers or are they looking for red flags before they do one?
Audit is performed yearly for all kinds of violation (fake PINS, military certificates, incomplete credit apps etc) and then Dealer is getting a bill. Last year we were 98.9% compliant and still paid $40 000 in fines (for example customer never gave us college certificate so we end up eating it) . But with eCommerce Ford will most likely see after audits since the entire deal is recorded online
Sponsored