Ford vs linex spray in

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
I was thinking of going with ford spray in for simplicity but it looks like they don't do the area on the tail gate around the work surface? Do you think a third party/linex will or is there something with the new work surface that won't allow it?
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I was thinking of going with ford spray in for simplicity but it looks like they don't do the area on the tail gate around the work surface? Do you think a third party/linex will or is there something with the new work surface that won't allow it?
I'm sure they will if you want it done. I see no reason why they couldn't.

OP
OP

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE
I noticed in some of the newer reviews/videos that the ford liner does now do the tailgate around the work surface. Must have just been some of the early builds that did not.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I elected not to have the spray in bed liner from Ford. The research I’ve done shows that Line-X is a bit thicker, and has a better warranty.

Just a clarifying question. Many of you said the Ford liner doesn’t cover the tailgate? Isn’t that ideal because of the built in holders, ruler, and clamps on the tailgate?

OP
OP

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE
Ford F-150 Ford vs linex spray in 2021-Ford-F-150-Exterior-Tailgate-Work-Surface-003

You can see here. I was talking about the tailgate that is outside of the plastic insert as shown here and not actually putting bed liner over the plastic insert.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021-Ford-F-150-Exterior-Tailgate-Work-Surface-003.jpg

You can see here. I was talking about the tailgate that is outside of the plastic insert as shown here and not actually putting bed liner over the plastic insert.
I see, I don't know if it would be normal to Line-X around and underneath that or not.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The work surface most likely would be removed and screw holes covered before spraying, and replace the surface for a clean look.
Anyone that would attempt to mask around that, is just cutting corners.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I see, I don't know if it would be normal to Line-X around and underneath that or not.
Line-X will make it look just like Fords, you just tell them what you want. As memtioned, romove cover apply line-X and replace cover.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Line-X will make it look just like Fords, you just tell them what you want. As memtioned, romove cover apply line-X and replace cover.
Nice to know! You think Line-X will put that cool Ford logo in the center of the bed room like the factory one?

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I know it doesn’t matter but for those who want the Ford logo in the bed and against the back wall, one has to go with the factory spray in bed liner.

CLEMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have contacted a local LineX dealer and they will do anything you want as long as it doesn't interfere with operation of the tailgate. I've seen pics of ALL the interior surfaces covered including inside the jams. But I went with factory for a few reasons.
1. It's done when I get it and I don't have to wait days to get the truck that I waited month for back.
2. The most abrasive thing I put in my bed on a regular basis is firewood.
3. If the factory liner fails, LineX can fill in chips, skim coat over factory, pretty much whatever you need.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I have contacted a local LineX dealer and they will do anything you want as long as it doesn't interfere with operation of the tailgate. I've seen pics of ALL the interior surfaces covered including inside the jams. But I went with factory for a few reasons.
1. It's done when I get it and I don't have to wait days to get the truck that I waited month for back.
2. The most abrasive thing I put in my bed on a regular basis is firewood.
3. If the factory liner fails, LineX can fill in chips, skim coat over factory, pretty much whatever you need.

Likewsie, I went with the OEM. I'll also use (added) the Ford thick Heavy Duty Rubber Mat on top of spray-in liner. I used it on my 2016 and looking back, I loaded loose rock, sod, brick, etc. As always I managed - closely supervised all of my loads, ensuring n the bed sides were ever touch only the bed.

Ford's rubberized bed mat (about 1/2" thick), absored a lot and it never tore or chiped away.
I brought it to give me assurance that the bed itself was well protected.

Many may say - isn't that overkill - my answere it provided me a peace of mind so I was good with it. It wasn't all that expensive and I didn't pay the full dealership price. I'll do it again on my 2021 F150. Usually runs around $239.00 (heavy duty). Also, from a cost ($) point.

When I pick up my truck I add the Ford's accessories on the truck purchased sales sheet. Why?, my state rules is - any item added @ time of purchased one pays (my state) a 3% sales tax,
if purchased seperately the state sales tax is 7%. Yep, I do count all of the pennies & dollars when buying a vehicle :)

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Likewsie, I went with the OEM. I'll also use (added) the Ford thick Heavy Duty Rubber Mat on top of spray-in liner. I used it on my 2016 and looking back, I loaded loose rock, sod, brick, etc. As always I managed - closely supervised all of my loads, ensuring n the bed sides were ever touch only the bed.

Ford's rubberized bed mat (about 1/2" thick), absored a lot and it never tore or chiped away.
I brought it to give me assurance that the bed itself was well protected.

Many may say - isn't that overkill - my answere it provided me a peace of mind so I was good with it. It wasn't all that expensive and I didn't pay the full dealership price. I'll do it again on my 2021 F150. Usually runs around $239.00 (heavy duty). Also, from a cost ($) point.

When I pick up my truck I add the Ford's accessories on the truck purchased sales sheet. Why?, my state rules is - any item added @ time of purchased one pays (my state) a 3% sales tax,
if purchased seperately the state sales tax is 7%. Yep, I do count all of the pennies & dollars when buying a vehicle :)
My state also, except the tax rate is 10% state/city tax. Dealer will send the truck over to Line-X for me and put that on the sales sheet to save me also. Every little bit counts.
Sponsored