First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
Correct. The difference is “active” vs “assist”. The active prep package is an additional 1100 or something like that.

I am curious if you have copilot assist 2.0 whether the active hardware can be added on later, my understanding is that the active package basically adds the interior cameras that watch you.
If I were to bet, I would say 'no', as I suspect there's more to it than just the cameras. Also, Ford probably has the technology (and access to it) pretty locked down to OEM spec due to obvious safety considerations.

charmincarman

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 3.5L XLT
Occupation
Marketing
Correct. The difference is “active” vs “assist”. The active prep package is an additional 1100 or something like that.

I am curious if you have copilot assist 2.0 whether the active hardware can be added on later, my understanding is that the active package basically adds the interior cameras that watch you.
10-4. Thanks for the help! Would have been a neat feature to have, but I wasn't even really looking to have the current package, just so happened it was the only one in my area!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
Hey everyone, I am coming from a Tesla Model 3 and can tell you it is a game changer specifically in traffic to have this. Too bad the XLT I ordered didn’t have this option.

Last edited:

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
My luck would be to pay extra for the "blue Cruze" and their wont be a single mile of highway in Vermont mapped LOL

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Very excited about this feature and one the main motivations for buying the '21. Looking forward to leveraging it on all the family road trips.

On a side note, I used the Active Assist a lot already and have found it to be a great enhancement to adaptive cruise control. It works great on non-complicated interstates and freeways. I've had some trouble with it on non-divided highways though. And last weekend I tried using it on high 17 in California. If you aren't familiar, it is a highway that connects Santa Cruz and San Jose. Very windy through the coastal mountains. Active Assist was not up to the task and would shut off once a turn started to get too curvy. Can't say for certain but it seemed to handle turns up to a certain radius and then once the turn was beyond that radius it would simply turn off. Made for a couple interesting turns when it shutoff mid-turn. If I had to guess, I'd say it handles up 35-45 degrees turns. Definitely not >90 degrees. Will be interesting to see what BlueCruise can handle.

jredondox

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Damn it! my lariat 502a only has the FORD CO-PILOT 360 ASSIST 2.0
Wonder if the active can be added

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Damn it! my lariat 502a only has the FORD CO-PILOT 360 ASSIST 2.0
Wonder if the active can be added
I wondered the same as assist 2.0 can already control the steerIng, brakes, read the road, etc. However in addition to the cabin cameras there probably is an additional module of some sort to process the driver monitoring cameras.

I don’t think there is anything mechanical that would need to be added therefore I think if you knew all the parts and components it’s probably not out of the realm of possibilities, however the parts probably won’t be around for a while and they will probably be very pricy.

Scoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A FX4
Ford Co-Pilot 360 Assist:
Intelligent Adaptive cruise control
Lane Centering
Stop-and-go
Speed limit detection/automatic adjustment
You can take your hands off the wheel but you are bugged every so often because you're really not supposed to.

Ford Co-Pilot 360 Active Prep:
Intelligent Adaptive cruise control
Lane Centering
Stop-and-go
Speed limit detection/automatic adjustment
Auto-park
BlueCruise ready: You'll pay a subscription fee, and maybe they'll have lane changing?
You can take your hands off the wheel without being bugged, but at the expense of your privacy because there are two cameras watching you to make sure you're paying attention (and sending the video who knows where? And are you being recorded?)

The only thing I'm really missing is that they got rid of the auto park assist and made that part of the active prep package.

The hands-free option is exciting, but I think I'll take a wheel nanny over subscription fees and cameras watching me drive.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I imagine that you can partially thank this individual for the driver facing cameras in the new self-driving models:

Ford F-150 Ford Tests BlueCruise Hands-Free Driving in “Mother of All Road Trips” Ahead of F-150 OTA Software Update 986B7D06-4B48-4954-A0F3-021385917403

The ‘safety’ driver of an Uber self-driving test vehicle was watching reality TV when a pedestrian crossed into the lane of travel.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
I was dead set against this feature when I first started to consider ordering an f150, but after seeing similar systems work in other vehicles, I definitely plan to get it now. I do a lot of highway driving and I realized this feature would reduce fatigue a great deal and just make long drives a lot less stressful, especially given how terrible people drive these days. I imagine it'll get you an insurance discount as well.
Sponsored