Sponsored

Ford SurfaceCare

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ram 1500 TRX Sandblast Edition
Has anyone purchased this? The dealership I'm trying to purchase my truck from is telling they apply it to all their vehicles and it protects from all kinds of interior and exterior damages. Basically a warranty for your paint and interior. I have a hard time believing it's applied and a harder time paying $999 for it. They don't even discount that price.

I've had such a hard time trying to buy a truck. Every dealership I try to work with I end up walking away because of dumb stuff like this. I just want to buy the truck with nothing additional included. It's such a pain.
Sponsored

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 2013 Subaru BRZ
What dealers are you going to that are passing up on sales because you won’t buy addons? Are you haggling with them and they’re offering that stuff in lieu of discounts?

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
What dealers are you going to that are passing up on sales because you won’t buy addons? Are you haggling with them and they’re offering that stuff in lieu of discounts?
With some of the pictures I have seen, Ford SurfaceCare = Oxymoron.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Has anyone purchased this? The dealership I'm trying to purchase my truck from is telling they apply it to all their vehicles and it protects from all kinds of interior and exterior damages. Basically a warranty for your paint and interior. I have a hard time believing it's applied and a harder time paying $999 for it. They don't even discount that price.

I've had such a hard time trying to buy a truck. Every dealership I try to work with I end up walking away because of dumb stuff like this. I just want to buy the truck with nothing additional included. It's such a pain.
What I suggest you do. Once you pick out your truck work on the price FIRST. Once you head into the finance office I always tell them I want the truck and the truck only. No extended warranties or coatings, etc. as long as you start out that way they are less likely to try and sell you on it. I worked at a car dealership and most of the finance guys made twice as much as the salesman due to selling ESPs and nonsense coatings. I would also suggest to get pre approved from a credit union before you walk in. That way you have some leverage with APRs/interest rates. If you want an ESP, go with a factory backed third party one from Ziegler, Flood, etc. YMMV but I’ve always done well doing this “method”. Stay firm and don’t give in!

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm working with dealerships long distance because I cannot find a Platinum within 100 miles of me. I already have preapproved financing through my Credit Union. I have X-Plan pricing, so no haggling over pricing at all. I've had two dealerships basically tell me to take it or leave it (in so many words) with the addons. I'm pretty sure they know they can sell it quickly to someone else. Do dealerships really add this crap to vehicles before putting them on the lot? Not being able to see one in person is hindering me here I guess.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I live in a city that is part of a large urban sprawl and the dealers in the area are all greedy and the only way that I was able to get a truck without added BS, was to make a special order.

They charge 2X-10X what a consumer could get the same things for. So it makes little sense to get the add-ons.

The local Toyota dealer was charging a $5000 ADM for Tacomas and for that you get absolutely nothing. It’s really crazy how much the dealers screw people over in cities. Some of it no doubt has to do with higher cost of doing business but a lot of it is greed and having a captive market.

It’s next to impossible to find a fairly priced used truck here because the used car dealers are constantly snatching up ones for sale and badgering people to sell trucks that aren’t for sale. When I still had my old ‘06 Silverado, I was having people leave notes, knock on my door and interrupt me while I was doing yardwork. Imagine the sketchiest car salesman at a dealer but instead of trying to sell you a car, they are at your house and won’t take no for an answer. Ridiculous!

For a lot of dealers, they get a lot of phone calls and most of them are probably just people window shopping. I imagine once you get a few solid quotes by email, you can get more cooperation and hopefully see some better numbers. Try showing up in person and you might have better luck. I was able to get my dealer to not charge for add-ons for a truck I didn’t want when I went in to ask about a special order.

One thing that you might try is print out a build on something close to what you want, go to a dealer that has the truck you do want and wait for them to offer it to you, pretend that it’s not exactly what you want but let them pretend that they are selling it to you and hammer away at their stupid add-ons. It’s stupid but they won’t make any deals if they think they have the advantage, you might even need to pretend to leave once or twice.

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live in a city that is part of a large urban sprawl and the dealers in the area are all greedy and the only way that I was able to get a truck without added BS, was to make a special order.

They charge 2X-10X what a consumer could get the same things for. So it makes little sense to get the add-ons.

The local Toyota dealer was charging a $5000 ADM for Tacomas and for that you get absolutely nothing. It’s really crazy how much the dealers screw people over in cities. Some of it no doubt has to do with higher cost of doing business but a lot of it is greed and having a captive market.

It’s next to impossible to find a fairly priced used truck here because the used car dealers are constantly snatching up ones for sale and badgering people to sell trucks that aren’t for sale. When I still had my old ‘06 Silverado, I was having people leave notes, knock on my door and interrupt me while I was doing yardwork. Imagine the sketchiest car salesman at a dealer but instead of trying to sell you a car, they are at your house and won’t take no for an answer. Ridiculous!

For a lot of dealers, they get a lot of phone calls and most of them are probably just people window shopping. I imagine once you get a few solid quotes by email, you can get more cooperation and hopefully see some better numbers. Try showing up in person and you might have better luck. I was able to get my dealer to not charge for add-ons for a truck I didn’t want when I went in to ask about a special order.

One thing that you might try is print out a build on something close to what you want, go to a dealer that has the truck you do want and wait for them to offer it to you, pretend that it’s not exactly what you want but let them pretend that they are selling it to you and hammer away at their stupid add-ons. It’s stupid but they won’t make any deals if they think they have the advantage, you might even need to pretend to leave once or twice.
I pretty much refuse to accept any addons and it's making it difficult to find a truck. I want a Platinum, but I would take a fully loaded Lariat if I can find one. Maybe I'll go that route to see if I see one closer and take your advice of pretending to not want it.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
$495 in my area. Yes, it's a pain in the ass if you are buying off the lot vs. special order. $999 is way over priced.

I have done some research on this crap in the past - problem is Ford Motro Co. said it's a dealer thing - they have no part & take ownership. $495 is average but why Virgina wants $999 = greed to me.

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
$495 in my area. Yes, it's a pain in the ass if you are buying off the lot vs. special order. $999 is way over priced.

I have done some research on this crap in the past - problem is Ford Motro Co. said it's a dealer thing - they have no part & take ownership. $495 is average but why Virgina wants $999 = greed to me.
It's crazy. It's either dealers want to put addons on the purchase or they want to sell for MSRP. I might have lucked out and found a fully loaded Carbonized Gray Lariat Sport that's fully loaded. This dealer accepts X-Plan and I told them no to any addons. So far so good with phone and email communication. I thought I had a deal three times on a Platinum and this last time I was prepared to go to NC to pick up the truck after doing everything long distance, but no the damn dealer had to insist on the addons that were "already on the truck" or they wouldn't sell it to me. This current one is 2 hours away also, but I'm willing to travel if I can find a reasonable dealer. I just can't find any loaded Lariats or Platinums near me.
Sponsored