Ford strikes again, this time the OTC parts warranty

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Buyer beware to those adding parts that didn’t come on your truck!!

I bought a bunch of parts from varsity ford parts .com to add the heated wheel, rain sensor, etc
Rain sensor seemed bad out of the box, kept throwing error codes. So I reached out to varsity and they said send it back with mileage in/mileage out and the vin. I sent it in as requested. I then get a response yesterday saying my vin never had that part so ford won’t warranty it. They then send me a document only available to dealers with the info. I’m sure it’s in some fine print somewhere. Luckily it was under $40

lesson learned, use a donor vin if trying to warranty parts. They’ll prolly pull some BS saying that vehicle isn’t registered to you, etc.
rant over, for now. Haha
Ford F-150 Ford strikes again, this time the OTC parts warranty 002368CD-F474-4F2A-9CEC-0B7D0B6BB60B
Sponsored

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
This seems like a double gut punch, with the first being the removal from the order when it was built, and now when someone tries to retrofit the part.

On the one hand, I can imagine where this restriction comes from. They don't want to warranty a part that was used where it doesn't belong and damaged in the process. I think they're stretching to say that it wasn't an option on your truck, so you abused the part by trying to install it in your truck.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
So you bought a part that was not intended to be installed in your make/model/year of vehicle (if it was, it would have been listed, right?), you installed it in said vehicle, and now you want Ford to warranty it? Sorry, but I disagree that they should cover it.

They’ll prolly pull some BS saying that vehicle isn’t registered to you, etc.
While I do see your specific situation duly listed under "Not covered" on the OTC parts & accessory coverage and restrictions PDF, I do not see "the vehicle is not registered to you" as a 'not covered' situation.

It's not like the "made up" the reason for denying your claim -- it was listed under "not covered".

Now if those parts WERE listed in the 'Ford Authorized Catalog' for YOUR vehicle (per the verbiage on the PDF you posted), then they should NOT deny the claim. But you did not say whether or not this was the case.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Are we talking about the parts warranty for the part itself or the vehicle warranty?

Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
part warranty, I’m not pretentious enough to go claim vehicle warranty on something I added. Haha
So are they saying they won’t help fix the issue under the parts warranty or that they won’t exchange the part?

Their coverage for labor and whatnot is pretty clear in the document and so I wouldn’t expect any help, but it is less clear to me if they’d exchange a DOA part, and if they won’t exchange a DOA part if it’s not listed for your vehicle, that would be far more widespread news than just refusing to fix it when the part didn’t work.

OP
OP

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
So are they saying they won’t help fix the issue under the parts warranty or that they won’t exchange the part?

Their coverage for labor and whatnot is pretty clear in the document and so I wouldn’t expect any help, but it is less clear to me if they’d exchange a DOA part, and if they won’t exchange a DOA part if it’s not listed for your vehicle, that would be far more widespread news than just refusing to fix it when the part didn’t work.
From what I’m being told, if you buy a ford part from the ford parts counter and install it in a vehicle that never originally had that part, the part warranty is out the window. Whether or not the part is DOA.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
From what I’m being told, if you buy a ford part from the ford parts counter and install it in a vehicle that never originally had that part, the part warranty is out the window. Whether or not the part is DOA.
I can absolutely understand why Ford lawyers would require this limitation, especially as a blanket statement on all parts. They need to protect their client from customers doing stupid stuff. Not saying that what you’re doing is that, but you can probably imagine how it could be abused if it wasn’t stated explicitly.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Is there a bench test for the rain sensor?

What codes was it setting off?

A broken part is a broken part, especially if it’s DOA.

People add OEM parts all the time that weren’t original equipment and to deny warranty on the part is total BS, unless they can at least claim that it was potentially damaged by installation in your vehicle.

This is just another reason to shun the hobbled 2022+ trucks that Ford is shipping and wait for them to get their act together.

OP
OP

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Is there a bench test for the rain sensor?

What codes was it setting off?

A broken part is a broken part, especially if it’s DOA.

People add OEM parts all the time that weren’t original equipment and to deny warranty on the part is total BS, unless they can at least claim that it was potentially damaged by installation in your vehicle.

This is just another reason to shun the hobbled 2022+ trucks that Ford is shipping and wait for them to get their act together.
yeah, for me it was lesson learned. If anything, try giving a different vin

Sponsored

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
So I upgrade my XLT halogen taillights to oem led Lariat lights Ford won't warranty them when the only difference is what comes standard on the truck?

Nah thats stupid

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
So you bought a part that was not intended to be installed in your make/model/year of vehicle (if it was, it would have been listed, right?), you installed it in said vehicle, and now you want Ford to warranty it? Sorry, but I disagree that they should cover it.

While I do see your specific situation duly listed under "Not covered" on the OTC parts & accessory coverage and restrictions PDF, I do not see "the vehicle is not registered to you" as a 'not covered' situation.

It's not like the "made up" the reason for denying your claim -- it was listed under "not covered".

Now if those parts WERE listed in the 'Ford Authorized Catalog' for YOUR vehicle (per the verbiage on the PDF you posted), then they should NOT deny the claim. But you did not say whether or not this was the case.
The document makes zero mention that the part has to be replacing something originally installed on the vehicle from the factory or specificallylisted for a particular VIN (i.e. YOUR vehicle as claimed in the quoted section here) just that it has to be in the "authorized catalog." I would argue that any part available as an option for that trim level would definitely qualify for OTC part purchase warranty and quite possibly any part for that vehicle and model year regardless of trim level.

To me the dealer is just being a pain.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
Sad part is a dealer willing to maybe loose a vehicle purchasing customer over a $40 part that costs them less than $35. Not to mention the multi thousand dollar profit they probably see on these trucks.
Sponsored