First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
Just got this recall notice. I wonder if this is linked to the Backup assist decal targeting?
1514BA3F-387B-4092-AE33-0FCB6918D861.png
Yeah I got the same notification. Let me know how it turns out --I'm going to schedule mine as well.
Sponsored

Krouty10

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
I think I’m the only one on this thread that is having this issue. Did everybody receive a sensor? I bought my xlt but I just received stickers and not any sensors. When I went to go set up my trailer all it told me was to install the sensor, nothing about stickers so I couldn’t get past the initial step.

ELLBROCK

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lincoln Navigator Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Are you saying that with the sensor, you don't have to take measurements, it just figures it out? Because that would be sweet...

Otherwise I would think the sticker method is superior. Less cabling around your tongue, and if you have multiple trailers that would suck ass to keep moving it and securing it in the exact same spot as before. The sticker kit came with multiple stickers.
i want to set mine up for a travel trailer, any idea on the tongue where you would locate that sensor housing assembly ?

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
I think I’m the only one on this thread that is having this issue. Did everybody receive a sensor? I bought my xlt but I just received stickers and not any sensors. When I went to go set up my trailer all it told me was to install the sensor, nothing about stickers so I couldn’t get past the initial step.
We all have the sticker issue. Ford needs to send an over the air software update. You should have got the sensor however. I’d go back to the dealer and get it.

TommyGun

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
I think everyone with a 2021 F150 is having this issue. Ford is refusing to acknowledge it though. They'll pass you from one Customer Service section to another, then pass you off to a local dealer's Service Dept. who will either tell you they don't know or won't return your calls.

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
My F150 came with both the sensor and the stickers. I have the tow package I wonder if that makes the difference.
anyway, I’ve been backing trailers for 45 years without trailer assist so doubt I’ll use it.

pmascari

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, 2018 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
IT
My 2021 came with the sensor and stickers. I'm taking delivery of my first travel trailer next week I'll be trying out the sensor with. I'll use the stickers for my boat trailer and yard trailer.

I've been backing trailers down drives and boat ramps on my own for years, as well, but I'm not too proud to let some tech help me out and make it easier.

I found this video of a guy setting up the sensors on a 2021:

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
Any updates on this issue yet?
I had the recall update done at the dealership this week. The recall does not address the sticker issue. Service manager didn’t know about the sticker issue and didn’t have any knowledge of the next over the air update. As for the recall update, apparently it enables an alarm function you can set if someone disconnects the trailer.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
Well hell. Just borrowed a friends flatbed trailer for the month for our local move. I went to set up the sticker and it’s a no go. Says I have to attach the sensor etc. I guess I’ll have to do it since my trailer backup training in a parking lot was a fail ha ha.

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Just for giggles I decided to install my pro trailer backup assist sensor. Took all of 10 minutes to set up. Very easy. There is sticky tape on back of the sensor and tie straps for everything else. Don’t know if I will ever use it because I’ve been backing up trailers for decades without it but installed it to make sure everything works.

piercede

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
My 2021 came with the sensor and stickers. I'm taking delivery of my first travel trailer next week I'll be trying out the sensor with. I'll use the stickers for my boat trailer and yard trailer.

I've been backing trailers down drives and boat ramps on my own for years, as well, but I'm not too proud to let some tech help me out and make it easier.

I found this video of a guy setting up the sensors on a 2021:

Where were the stickers you received? I got the sensor with my XLT 302a with Max Tow but no stickers...

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Where were the stickers you received? I got the sensor with my XLT 302a with Max Tow but no stickers...
In previous gen, it was an extra towing folder (about same dimension as manual) in the glove box, it came with 5 stickers. I am saving 2 to bring to my new '21 in case they give us the software update and stickers become scarce.

Is there not a towing pamphlet/folder that comes with the '21? It had measurement notecards and everything.

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
In previous gen, it was an extra towing folder (about same dimension as manual) in the glove box, it came with 5 stickers. I am saving 2 to bring to my new '21 in case they give us the software update and stickers become scarce.

Is there not a towing pamphlet/folder that comes with the '21? It had measurement notecards and everything.
Yes I got the stickers in the packet

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Powerbost King Ranch
Occupation
Retired state trooper
I did a Google Scholar Search for the patent for the PTBA camera targeting system and read through it. This led me to look more closely at my particular set up. The hitch I had was an extended one, and the drop was 4" which put the angle of the tongue at a slightly downward angle taking the trailer off-level. My thinking was that maybe I pushed the target decal out of the camera range to target it. Today I picked up a shorter hitch with a 2" drop which brought the decal closer to the rear camera and perfectly level. Still doesn't go into calibration when I try to set it up with the decal option. Sorry no progress to report. The more firmly backs up my theory that it's a design flaw in the 2021 - SYNC4 and not user error. Here are some diagrams from the patent document that helped me think it through. The Patent document can be found here:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/8b/d9/ad/0116291bf297a9/US9374562.pdf

If anyone has a contact at Ford's Design Team that can address this problem it would help.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 11.28.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 10.18.14 PM.png
glad someone else is trying to find out what the hell is going on besides me. I got 3 trailers and dont want to buy 2 more sensors
Sponsored