Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Are there benefits to the sensor over the sticker on a conventional trailer?
Sponsored

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Are there benefits to the sensor over the sticker on a conventional trailer?
There are a couple i see.

1. You don't have to make any measurements
2. I used to have the sticker go out of sight (backing down incline) and the assist would alarm and shut off.

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2021 F-150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Project Manager
See the screenshot from my chat with Ford Support. "There will be an update coming..." It's odd they released this truck and removed the sticker option that worked so well with my 2016 XLT.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 1.56.25 PM.png
Re " There will be an update coming..." It's odd they released this truck and removed the sticker option that worked so well with my 2016 XLT. "

If they built SYNC4 from the scratch, rather tan starting with SYNC3, it would be a matter of not having added it to SYNC4 yet. With over the air updates it gives Ford the option of developing the minimum needed to release the truck & add less important features later.

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
There are a couple i see.

1. You don't have to make any measurements
2. I used to have the sticker go out of sight (backing down incline) and the assist would alarm and shut off.
Good news on the Sensor front. After watching the video I went out and connected the sensor to my 27' EZ Loader boat trailer. Confirmed that the sensor with wire harness does in fact work with a conventional trailer. Once I connected everything up I went through the calibration process. You do need room to make some sharp turns. It had me do several turns then let me know the calibration was good. I backed into some very tight spots with ease. Great feature but I will be glad once the sticker config update is ready. See pics of my set up. Only thing I need to confirm now is whether the spot I put the sensor will be submerged at the boat ramp. Will verify and adjust as necessary.

Ford F-150 Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sensor Install Guide (2021 F-150) IMG_7763.JPG

Ford F-150 Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sensor Install Guide (2021 F-150) IMG_7764.JPG

Ford F-150 Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sensor Install Guide (2021 F-150) IMG_7766.JPG

Ford F-150 Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sensor Install Guide (2021 F-150) IMG_7765.JPG

jerryllah

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
RETIRED
After watching the video from the link on previous page it says after you calibrate the sensor that it saves all the trailer info from the calibration to the system and you can add up to 10 trailers. do you think the sensor can be removed and used to calibrate another trailer. The point the previous post brought up if the sensor is on a boat trailer it could be under water at some boat ramps. That sensor kit is $354 from ford parts. How could ford expect us to buy a sensor for every trailer.

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Good news on the Sensor front. After watching the video I went out and connected the sensor to my 27' EZ Loader boat trailer. Confirmed that the sensor with wire harness does in fact work with a conventional trailer. Once I connected everything up I went through the calibration process. You do need room to make some sharp turns. It had me do several turns then let me know the calibration was good. I backed into some very tight spots with ease. Great feature but I will be glad once the sticker config update is ready. See pics of my set up. Only thing I need to confirm now is whether the spot I put the sensor will be submerged at the boat ramp. Will verify and adjust as necessary.

IMG_7763.JPG

IMG_7764.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7765.JPG
In theory it has to be water proof, right?

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
In theory it has to be water proof, right?
It looks like it will be protected from rain and splashes. But if you look at the right side of the sensor it’s pretty wide open and the connector doesn’t appear to be IP67. I’m not confident submerging it.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Man...

I'm confident that it works great. I just don't like having to secure extra wires like that, and look at that length! It definitely is primarily designed for 5er/gooseneck trailer, where it will be somewhere near the kingpin inside the bed, and have more length to go out, over the tailgate, and to the connector. A conventional trailer does not need that much length for sure.

Also look at how on the conventional trailer the wiring has to do that initial sharp 180 degree turn, as the natural side you want to put it on is the SAME side as the truck's plugs. If it is attached inside the bed, the cable has no initial 180 degree switchback.

Regarding multiple trailers, imagine having to remove and secure it every time with zip ties. That is incredibly annoying. I'll probably use velcro straps that are re-usable instead.

jerryllah

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RETIRED

IMG_7763.JPG

IMG_7764.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7765.JPG
I would like for you to hook the trailer and not plug in the sensor and see if back up assist works. That would be the answer we all need to hear.

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
I would like for you to hook the trailer and not plug in the sensor and see if back up assist works. That would be the answer we all need to hear.
You have to have the sensor plugged in / connected for the system to activate. That said, even If you don't have the sensor connected, the back up camera still works great and has a wide angle view when using the trailer mode. It helps you see areas that your mirrors cant. I did not have this enhanced camera view on my 2016 XLT. It's very helpful backing up on your own manually.

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Regarding multiple trailers, imagine having to remove and secure it every time with zip ties. That is incredibly annoying. I'll probably use velcro straps that are re-usable instead.
My plan is to attach to my trailer using 3M Dual Lock available from Amazon, Home Depot etc. this stuff works like velcro but interlocks using hard plastic "mushrooms" and is incredibly strong but you *can* attach/detach if needed. Could place a "base" of one half of the tape on each trailer and move the sensor from trailer to trailer as needed (y) or remove from the trailer to avoid leaving the sensor in open-air storage etc.

jerryllah

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RETIRED
I installed the sensor on one of my trailers today. Installed with zip ties. Impressed with the way it works. Ordered a second sensor for the other trailer I use most often. I'll wait for the stickers for my other trailers. With zip ties the sensor can be moved to another trailer very easily.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
My plan is to attach to my trailer using 3M Dual Lock available from Amazon, Home Depot etc. this stuff works like velcro but interlocks using hard plastic "mushrooms" and is incredibly strong but you *can* attach/detach if needed. Could place a "base" of one half of the tape on each trailer and move the sensor from trailer to trailer as needed (y) or remove from the trailer to avoid leaving the sensor in open-air storage etc.
I'll probably be doing something like this, plus velcro straps. The extra issue (I realize this is probably just a me thing) is that I don't leave anything valuable unsecured in my hitch area when I put it in storage, including my battery. So I will be removing the sensor to store inside my trailer every time.

For occasions using my utility trailer, I think just the reverse cameras are gonna be a HUGE benefit and I can live without the pro backup. It was always difficult when the trailer was empty as I cannot see it well (low to the ground). The tow mirrors and 360 camera will give some pretty amazing visibility now until they give me a sticker update.

DollarBills

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Security
Sensor installation was super simple. I installed it on the tongue of my travel trailer. Clean off the spot peel off the back, make sure arrows are pointing up then press on. Plug harness in to sensor plug harness in to truck. Make sure you are on flat and level ground and have room to turn right or left. After you are plugged in you simply drive forward and then turn left or right for calibration. Done works like a champ.

TommyGun

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Just got this recall notice. I wonder if this is linked to the Backup assist decal targeting?
Ford F-150 Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sensor Install Guide (2021 F-150) 1514BA3F-387B-4092-AE33-0FCB6918D861
Sponsored