Sponsored

Ford Power Up Wiki facing possible deletion.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ok, so I think I inadvertently stirred up a hornet's nest with this today. As some of you may know, I have been updating the Power Up Wiki page with info relevant to the F150's as updates are released. I have been doing this for months, and even went back and corrected some inconsistencies to have it reflect more accurate info.

Well, I went in there today to add all the 22-PU10xx updates that have been rolled out to F150's lately. I added three of the four updates and as I am gathering info for the 4th one, I get a message from what I am guessing is a wiki moderator that all the info I posted was considered "vandalism" and had been removed. So after going back and forth with this person and telling him that the source of this info is coming from forums and Ford's PTS website, he then says that my profile is being escalated from "vandalism" to "possible copyright infringement" because I was quoting the verbiage that pops up in Fordpass when we receive an OTA. SO I ask him what is the right way to do it, and he refers me to wiki's "teahouse" to find out how to properly source information.

So, I do just that. I asked to use the OTA 4.2.1 thread as a source, and I was told that forums cannot be used as a source for wiki info because it is based on user generated content. That, in turn, lead to eyes being put on the power up wiki page and guess what? More than half the cited source are to this and other forums as "proof" of these updates. A lot of the the updates don't have a source linked to it at all, which apparently is a big no-no in the world of wiki.

So now, the wiki page has been flagged for possible deletion. If you visit the page, there is a notice now where it is being considered for deletion and there is a discussion that was started. It looks like I have just fallen victim to the old adage that states: No good deed goes unpunished.

I have printed out and download the entire power up wiki in .pdf format. If it gets deleted, and it looks like it will be and one of the moderators even told me I should print it out now before it gets deleted. Apparently, there are a lot of politics within the wiki community that I was not aware of. So, to whoever started the power up wiki and to all contributors that have put in work to compile and maintain it, I'm sorry but in an effort to maintain it, I think I may have just gotten it killed off. I was specifically told the following:

"@Rugedraw, I'm afraid you've been using Wikipedia for something which is outside its intended purpose. The best thing to do would be to place this information on another, more appropriate website, like a blog or a forum (and you should probably save it to a computer or similar device now, before the article is potentially deleted."

With that said, I plan on making a thread here with all the info that OTA history that pertains to the F150. If the guys from the Mach E & Lightning forums want, I will provide them the info that is on the wiki now to whoever wants to take on the role over there. It is ultimately better to keep them separated as many OTA's got blurred between one model and the other. In some cases, the same update number was released from more than one type of vehicle, but the update did different things depending on which type of vehicle received it.
Sponsored

JasonATL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
That sucks but glad you grabbed a copy so we can keep it going here. I’ve referenced that page many many times.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Wikipedia: Send us money so we can be a centralized source of knowledge for everyone

Also Wikipedia: Your sources suck, you can't use them to centralize this valuable information.

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I'm in the discussion page right now pleading my case for them not to close it. It doesn't pass the wiki vibe check and it doesn't look promising. We'll see what happens. If they do allow me some time to get some more "credible" sources than this forum, I can try linking them to NHTSA filings, vlogs and whatever else I can find, but it will take more time than I probably have. I can't use PTS because it has to be verifiable by whatever they determine to be a qualifying second party source..

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Wikipedia: Send us money so we can be a centralized source of knowledge for everyone

Also Wikipedia: Your sources suck, you can't use them to centralize this valuable information.
just like facebook and twitter during a certain event not to long ago

SURE hope wiki lets the page stand, its a very valuable source of info

Sponsored

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Based on what I am learning, if the community consensus is for it to be deleted, then it will be deleted. If anyone of you guys have a wiki account, go in there and plead your case as right now, I am the only one in there defending the pages' validity and usefulness.

Lite4d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 2020 Explorer ST
Could it be hosted by someone? I have a server that could host it if needed. Just need to have it separate from my personal stuff.

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Could it be hosted by someone? I have a server that could host it if needed. Just need to have it separate from my personal stuff.
I am not well versed enough with wiki politics to know if that is possible. I am literally learning as I go. I have been thrown all these wiki terms at me that I have to Google them to see how I even respond.

Lite4d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I’ll do some research to see if it feasible. What have you got downloaded?

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
@Lite4d I just download the power up wiki contents using the download button on the wiki page to have the info in print in case the page gets deleted. If they delete it, I will have a back up of all the info. I was messaged by admin here on the forum that if it gets deleted and I compile the info on the wiki in a thread, they will sticky it to this section and I will just update it myself as OTA's get released.

That isn't going to do anything for the Lightning/Mach E crew, so by having a copy here, all the info they have contributed to the wiki won't disappear. I attached it here for reference. I would have to type it all out, which is fine by me. However, if I can convince them the forums (in this case) are a reliable source of data to confirm the info on the wiki page, then it won't get deleted and that resource will remain there for all to use.

Attachments

Sponsored

Lite4d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ll see what I can figure out on how to get it loaded on my server and get it available for everyone.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
@rugedraw your dedication and tenacity to keep the wiki page is admirable! A big shout to you for helping all of us! I truly hope "you" we win the wiki battle but it all doesn't sound good.

This might be a dream. But could we patition the administrator of this forum and the related Ford forums add a tab at the top page linking a common OTA page that would be associated with the F150gen14.com, Lightning, MachE, Bronco, and Superduty Forum's? The tab could be inserted before "orderlist" there advantage would be that it gains them user exposure to and from the other Ford forums.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Ofc this happens now when I’m about to go out of town, hopefully it’s still up when I get back so I can scrape it, pretty sure we can get an alternative going somewhere else if they nuke it.

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ofc this happens now when I’m about to go out of town, hopefully it’s still up when I get back so I can scrape it, pretty sure we can get an alternative going somewhere else if they nuke it.
I already got a .pdf copy of everything and posted it here to keep the data we've collected alive if they do suddenly delete it. I am not sure how long the discussion page will be kept open, but we need more people in favor of it to go in there and voice their opinions to give it a chance to stay posted.
Sponsored