Ford Pass Auto Start from App

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Does anyone know if the Ford Pass App will start your truck without the AT&T hotspot service or do you have to subscribe to the monthly service in order for this feature to work?
Sponsored

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew AMB
You do not need to subscribe to any service for remote start, lock, and unlock capability. Beyond that you would need a data plan from AT&T.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You do not need to subscribe to any service for remote start, lock, and unlock capability. Beyond that you would need a data plan from AT&T.
Thank you for the information. Would my WiFi hotspot on my phone do the job or do you truly need the Att service? Trying to avoid spending another $20 per month haha.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Thank you for the information. Would my WiFi hotspot on my phone do the job or do you truly need the Att service? Trying to avoid spending another $20 per month haha.
Do you mean as it pertains to your original question or other things/services?

Sponsored

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
It would be more for the other services.
I'm no AT&T rep so I think they would be the ones to ask which services your current plan would support without the extra $20 monthly impact

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Instructional Designer
All the Navigation services work with FordPass not the Truck's Hotspot. All the functions of FordPass are done with the modem in the truck but this is separate from the hotspot. I have all this capability on my truck and don't have a hotspot plan activated at this time.

To enable the truck's hotspot you need to create an account on the displayed website, not the same as your AT&T consumer account website. The website is just for vehicle hotspot accounts and the plans are specific to that alone. This is not an addon to your consumer account. I did this on my 2018 for 1 year to experience it.

Why do this vs use your smartphone. Remember when you activate the hotspot on your smartphone you can no longer use Wi-Fi yourself. Second, if you are providing your smartphone as a hotspot it uses your bandwidth therefore anything you do on your smartphone will be slower since you are sharing your data bandwidth.

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew AMB
Yep; I keep my hotspot (as well as all WiFi services) off in my truck and use my Verizon hotspot service on my phone when needed.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All the Navigation services work with FordPass not the Truck's Hotspot. All the functions of FordPass are done with the modem in the truck but this is separate from the hotspot. I have all this capability on my truck and don't have a hotspot plan activated at this time.

To enable the truck's hotspot you need to create an account on the displayed website, not the same as your AT&T consumer account website. The website is just for vehicle hotspot accounts and the plans are specific to that alone. This is not an addon to your consumer account. I did this on my 2018 for 1 year to experience it.

Why do this vs use your smartphone. Remember when you activate the hotspot on your smartphone you can no longer use Wi-Fi yourself. Second, if you are providing your smartphone as a hotspot it uses your bandwidth therefore anything you do on your smartphone will be slower since you are sharing your data bandwidth.
Perfect. That’s exactly what I needed to know. Thank you sir.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It’s all Ford app, all the time. No data plan required.
Thanks! I didn’t realize the modem was separate from the hot spot. Makes sense because the modem is going to be the way over the air updates are done.

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Has anyone used this? I leave my truck at the airport months sometimes and the thought about using this every other day to keep the battery charged up a little.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has anyone used this? I leave my truck at the airport months sometimes and the thought about using this every other day to keep the battery charged up a little.
From what I’ve read it’s pretty reliable. I would test it at home just to make sure In the rare event your phone messed up the truck would still shut off after the 15 minutes or whatever the time limit is.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Instructional Designer
In the Auto Start menu in the truck menu it has 10 or 15 minutes for the length of time before the truck shuts off. In the FordPass app you can extend that time in 5 minute increments. Additionally, you can use the app to turn off the truck at anytime after you Auto Start.

I like that the app shows how many minutes left before it turns off.

I have used this reliably for years on our vehicles. My wife used the scheduled starts Monday - Friday at 4:50pm so when she left the office to drive home the Escape had been running for 12 - 13 minutes and was fully warmed.
Sponsored