• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Options pricing?

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I've leased and purchased and never had an issue with leasing at turn in, and I have had some good size imperfections. Someone keyed the side of my 2017, I cleaned it up as best I could but in the right light you could still see one long key mark. Didn't have any charges or issues. Someone turned too sharp and scuffed the front right of my bumper on my 2019, again I cleaned it up and did some light paint touch up myself, no issues.

Especially if you are getting another Ford, there is a certain dollar amount that Ford forgives also for excess repair costs, I can't remember exact value but it may be $200? That may not sound like much, but keep in mind that is based on what Ford considers for a basic touch up of the damage, so if there are a few excess dings or scratches but a PDR guy can fix them for $150, then Ford would just take that off the $200 and life goes on.

Despite having young kids, dogs, and using the truck for truck stuff including towing, moving furniture and heavier equipment (snow blowers, generators, tools), most anything you reasonably do with a half ton, I have yet to pay an excess damage fee on a lease.

Obviously YMMV and all that, but Ford at least seems very realistic and reasonable with how they expect lease turn-ins to go. Also the dealer has the option to buy your lease at turn in instead of it going back to Ford Credit to then go to auction. If the dealer exercises this right, which some of mine have (especially my 2019 F-150 since they were desperate for vehicles) then the dealer gets to buy the lease for slightly less than your advertised buyout on the Ford Credit account page. They don't have to mess with auctions and can see the vehicle first hand before going that route. If the dealer buys it, not only do you have the chance to make some money (I got $2k back from an Explorer lease because the dealer really wanted it), but you bypass the Ford Credit inspection portion.

Anyway, leasing has actually worked out better for us than purchasing. Sure if you actually keep the vehicle for 7-10 years, instead of intending to but then just trading it in after 3 years when something new and cool comes out, purchasing can have definite advantages. But leasing is definitely not as scary as some believe. We only try to have one lease though, and it's usually the vehicle we travel in the most. Our other vehicle is a paid for Focus Electric that my wife just uses to get to work. But when we go on trips and that, I want the best comfort and reliability.
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
What are the mileage restrictions?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
What are the mileage restrictions?
If you opt for the traditional red carpet Ford lease, then you are bound by the miles you choose (10K, 12K, 15K miles per year), acquisition fee and disposition fee.

I see the Ford Options balloon as a lease but a balloon at the end the same as a traditional RV but if you want to keep her, then it's easy to buy her out and finance the balance thru your bank.

If you don't want to keep her, then as long as your contracted miles are under, you can turn her back into the dealer like a lease (remembering what miles you signed up for)...

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I see the Ford Options balloon as a lease but a balloon at the end the same as a traditional RV but if you want to keep her, then it's easy to buy her out and finance the balance thru your bank.
With MME, at the end of Options contract, you can refinance the balance through FMCC as well.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
If you opt for the traditional red carpet Ford lease, then you are bound by the miles you choose (10K, 12K, 15K miles per year), acquisition fee and disposition fee.

If you don't want to keep her, then as long as your contracted miles are under, you can turn her back into the dealer like a lease (remembering what miles you signed up for)...
I was asking in regards to Ford Options, my fault for not being clearer. I realize if I purchase it outright (balloon payment at the end) the mileage is irrelevant. However, what is the mileage restriction to be able to sell it back to Ford without penalty?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I was asking in regards to Ford Options, my fault for not being clearer. I realize if I purchase it outright (balloon payment at the end) the mileage is irrelevant. However, what is the mileage restriction to be able to sell it back to Ford without penalty?
With Ford Options, the mileage is contracted at the time the contract is signed - so if you said you wanted 15K miles per year, then you will have to return the car to the dealer with less than 45K or 60K (depending on 36 or 48 month contract).
Any miles over will incur charges.
If you think you will keep the truck, then don't worry about the miles; but if you are returning it, make sure you keep track of your miles, don't dent it, and don't abuse the condition.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Options has the same setup. The choices are 7.5K, 10.5K, 12K, 13.5K, 15K, 16.5K, 18K, 19.5K per year. You get to chose, based on what you think you will use. If you exceed the miles you chose, you pay for additional miles at a rate slightly higher, than if you had prepaid. If you select more miles than you use, you don't get the money back.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I believe if you need more than 19.5k miles it can be added as well. Honestly, if I was driving that much I would just buy it and then sell it when the time comes.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
If you select more miles than you use, you don't get the money back.
Theoretically, if you have driven fewer miles than contracted, the actual value of the vehicle should be higher than the RV on the contract. You could buy the vehicle and then resell it and recoup the extra money that you paid in the payments.

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
The residual value on all electrified vehicles has been crap on everything other than Teslas. After 6 year of driving C-Max I sold it for about 1/3 of MSRP. 6 years ago I got about half of MSRP for a 10 year old Mazda Tribute.

I think with the latest crop of EVs things will improve, eventually.
The RV of EVs appears to be holding up much better that it use to, especially when you factor in the tax credits and incentives. I bought a two year old 2013 Ford Focus Electric for 35% of MSRP but I would be better off taking over ownership and selling my 2019 Niro EV at the end of it's 3 year lease than to return it to the dealer. Three things are currently impacting used EV prices; battery pack prices are not dropping as fast as they use to when the smaller packs of older EVs made the EVs quickly obsolete, EV batteries don't degrade as fast as they use to increasing the useful life of EVs and the chip shortage that is driving up the cost of all used cars.

Last edited:

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I'm sure it also helps that manufacturers are finally making decent EVs that people actually love to own, instead of just a bunch of bare minimum compliance vehicles.
Sponsored