Sponsored

Ford OEM power running boards install a plug-n-play?

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I got mine installed last weekend and I love them so much it’s a tie with the cooled seat and stereo upgrade. The super duty’s are a little low when you look at it, but the perfect height for getting in and out. The harnesses were not too bad to make. I had about 6 hours in the wiring and testing and maybe an hour putting the boards on when I had it on the hoist for oil change. I did have to reverse the wires as mentioned previously because they went the wrong way. I love having control so I can leave them in or out when needed. I highly recommend this upgrade.
Looks great! Yes they do go a good amount lower and take some getting use to. Pretty much any power boards will work on any gen of truck, 2015+ of course, they all use the same connector and you may just need to reverse the motor wires like you found.
Sponsored

Stefanolimotta

First Name
stefano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
Occupation
Construction
Yes.> its a big job. Its not easy.

You need new harness for the seat. Then you need to run the wirng from the seat module to the Running boards. you need a new DSM You need ot have the DSM programmed.

I added them Ive done it.

Pus you have to make all the as build changes.
The harness that are needed did you get from ford or are these some thing that have to be made. I would like to add these on my 22 xlt 302.

Wilbur444

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Still looking to remove mine from my 2023 Powerboost Lariat.

If anyone is interested send me a PM

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.

Sponsored

Stefanolimotta

First Name
stefano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
Occupation
Construction
Yep, pretty much, if not more for everything, been a while since I've even looked though
That is steep I’m pretty interested though. I’m trying trying to figure out where I get these harness if they need to be make custom or if there’s a pet number for it

Iceman2022

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Controls Engineer
That is steep I’m pretty interested though. I’m trying trying to figure out where I get these harness if they need to be make custom or if there’s a pet number for it
I paid $600 for new Super duty take offs. If you start on page one and read the thread completely you will find most the information you need to complete this project.

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer
I am thinking about tackling this for my next modifications to MTY23 302A BAP SCrew that includes a powered driver seat, however not cooled, but no DSM. Can you verify what I need is:
a) EDIT: Per #100 @superfordman, I ordered Take Off 2017-2023 Ford F250 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab OEM Power Running Boards | eBay $618
b) EDIT: Per #100 @superfordman , I ordered MU5Z14C708G from Ford $258
c) @Jesse-Infotainment any update or ETA on the plug-n-play kit for the XLT?
d) @superfordman once I add the DSM, just your spreadsheet programming in ForScan? EDIT: I am guessing adding a new module is a bit more than the spreadsheet?
e) @Iceman2022, @HammaMan Am I missing anything?
TIA

Last edited:

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I am thinking about tackling this for my next modifications to MTY23 302A BAP SCrew that includes a powered driver seat, however not cooled, but no DSM. Can you verify what I need is:
a) @superfordman would these boards work? Take Off 2017-2023 Ford F250 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab OEM Power Running Boards | eBay
b) and is this the correct DSM? 2021 FORD F-150 FRONT POWER SEAT COMPUTER CONTROL MODULE UNIT OEM MU5T-14C708-BG | eBay . BTW, where does it mount to the truck, under seat?
c) @Jesse-Infotainment any update or ETA on the plug-n-play kit for the XLT?
d) @superfordman once I add the DSM, just your spreadsheet programming in ForScan?
e) @Iceman2022, @HammaMan Am I missing anything?
TIA
a) Yep those will work great
b) No, that is a low spec DSM, you need to get a MU5Z14C708G
d) Yep pretty much, programming is the easy part once you have it wired in

Sponsored

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Success!!! Finally got everything installed, working like it should, and wrapped up (literally) last night! Not having both boards connected must have been my first fault, as when running the DSM self test, they go through quite the dance back and forth a number of times before it completes. After that was done, they worked just like they should with zero issues. I wrapped the chrome strip with some black wrap, which to my suprise turned out really good so will see how that holds up. I cleaned up my seat harness and then snaked the passenger harness up through the footwell then down the left side of the center console to the bottom of the seat which worked great. I was going to try and add the kick switch, but no use really since they don't extend back to the bed at all, so little need for a switch when I could just open a door.

The biggest thing to note is since I used super duty steps, they do come down lower so it is a different feeling now getting in, so will take some getting use to. These steps would work great for someone with a 3"+ lift and bigger tires for sure, but with my just leveling kit and 34"s, they are definitely lower than I'm use to right now.

I would be curious if someone with the normal OEM steps could measure where the step is when out in relation to the door sill trim plate, as curious how much different that is height wise as these steps are 5" lower than the standard steps.

1678765157478.png

1678765182486.png

1678765282921.png

1678765232030.png

1678765300706.png

1678765256062.png

17" to the OEM step, 25" to the trim
1678765322080.png

12" to the PRB step, 5" lower
1678765356587.png

After wrap :love:
1678765465150.png

Normal chrome
1678765497434.png
I hope once I get done, mine look as good as this. I too have a level only and 34s. I too do not want the chrome! What product or can you send a link to what you used to go black? BTW, how is it holding up (if not too soon to tell)?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Here's a few issues w/ factory boards on XLT w/ out the seats.
-XLT can't program the software of the DSM until the mothership acknowledges its present which happens when they OTA something to you after DSM install. You'll likely need a 3rd party to program the initial DSM software (factory new components don't have base software loaded). If you have the seat harness plugged into the DSM and loose, you can use someone's DSM equipped truck to do it, just unplug their seat and plug in the DSM+harness for the initial software load w/ FDRS. (a 5.0 401 tremor was able to run initial program on DSM - Forscan cannot program DSM, jesse likely knows more - my 22 302a PB would error out in FDRS for initial DSM programming, however used DSM on used seats was plug and play)

- Non DSM seat heaters are keyed differently AND they run to different locations (DSM trucks, DSM powers heaters, nonDSM truck HVAC powers heaters). You will have to tear apart your factory seat harness, specifically the seat heat wires running to the main seat connector that feed the heating elements and swap them into the new lower seat harness to retain heat. You can't power the driver's seat heat from the DSM without disabling the passenger seat heat. They both get power from the HVAC or the DSM, not mix/match.

- DSM requires MS1 bus, easiest access for tapping is C212. Tapping DDM for MS1 is difficult access due to its location up behind IPMA and dash being in the way.

- DSM powering -- You can tap driver's seat power wire for DSM power, not suggested for boards + DSM powered heating. Driver's seat power + seat heaters in XLT are powered from 1 40a circuit that splits at C265 (one wire to d.seat, 1 wire to HVAC for seat heat). DSM trucks get 2 40a circuits (including the driver seat 40a). DSM + MCS use 2 40a circuits + MCS 30a circuit (MCS fuse/wiring not present in XLT, I used sunroof circuit for MCS, must be hot all times else it will drain 12v batts, been there done that). For BCMC fuse box constrained trucks, passenger seat power can power both seats movement motors, and driver's seat 40a circuit can power DSM. However the BCM can have the sunroof circuit tapped for 30a circuit if the truck doesn't have one. The snow plow / rear seat heat 20a keyed circuit is present in my truck, just a data point, not applicable here (I put a 5' wire pigtail onto that circuit for future 20a circuit keyed expansion). DSM and seats are always hot.

Iceman2022

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Controls Engineer
-XLT can't program the software of the DSM until the mothership acknowledges its present which happens when they OTA something to you after DSM install. You'll likely need a 3rd party to program the initial DSM software (factory new components don't have base software loaded). If you have the seat harness plugged into the DSM and loose, you can use someone's DSM equipped truck to do it, just unplug their seat and plug in the DSM+harness for the initial software load w/ FDRS. (a 5.0 401 tremor was able to run initial program on DSM - Forscan cannot program DSM, jesse likely knows more - my 22 302a PB would error out in FDRS for initial DSM programming, however used DSM on used seats was plug and play)

- Non DSM seat heaters are keyed differently AND they run to different locations (DSM trucks, DSM powers heaters, nonDSM truck HVAC powers heaters). You will have to tear apart your factory seat harness, specifically the seat heat wires running to the main seat connector that feed the heating elements and swap them into the new lower seat harness to retain heat. You can't power the driver's seat heat from the DSM without disabling the passenger seat heat. They both get power from the HVAC or the DSM, not mix/match.

- DSM requires MS1 bus, easiest access for tapping is C212. Tapping DDM for MS1 is difficult access due to its location up behind IPMA and dash being in the way.

- DSM powering -- You can tap driver's seat power wire for DSM power, not suggested for boards + DSM powered heating. Driver's seat power + seat heaters in XLT are powered from 1 40a circuit that splits at C265 (one wire to d.seat, 1 wire to HVAC for seat heat). DSM trucks get 2 40a circuits (including the driver seat 40a). DSM + MCS use 2 40a circuits + MCS 30a circuit (MCS fuse/wiring not present in XLT, I used sunroof circuit for MCS, must be hot all times else it will drain 12v batts, been there done that). For BCMC fuse box constrained trucks, passenger seat power can power both seats movement motors, and driver's seat 40a circuit can power DSM. However the BCM can have the sunroof circuit tapped for 30a circuit if the truck doesn't have one. The snow plow / rear seat heat 20a keyed circuit is present in my truck, just a data point, not applicable here (I put a 5' wire pigtail onto that circuit for future 20a circuit keyed expansion). DSM and seats are always hot.
Wooo, I am glad @HammaMan handled the scientific explanation. I myself wouldn’t suggest doing just the running board upgrade. I thought the running board upgrade was relatively easy, but that is because the cooled seat upgrade was so difficult. If you are not going to do the seat upgrade, I would look into buying an AMP research controller. I found a few links to people that got OEM steps to work with AMP controllers.

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

Thanks @HammaMan ,
I jumped the gun and ordered the F250 boards/motor and the DSM. I just updated all modules with FDRS last weekend so I would imagine it may be a while before I will get any OTA that might recognize an installed DSM. Also, I do not have access to another truck with a DSM.
At this point I am really hoping Infotainment harnesses take care of the wiring needed that maybe I can talk one of you fine gentlemen if not @Jesse-Infotainment into programming my DSM?

Do you know if ever there was a 302A with PRB that I can get 744 AsBuilt from?

Wooo, I am glad @HammaMan handled the scientific explanation. I myself wouldn’t suggest doing just the running board upgrade. I thought the running board upgrade was relatively easy, but that is because the cooled seat upgrade was so difficult. If you are not going to do the seat upgrade, I would look into buying an AMP research controller. I found a few links to people that got OEM steps to work with AMP controllers.
Thanks @Iceman2022 , Yep, me thinks doing the seats first may end up being best course of action as I am not interested in AMP Research hack....yet.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Don't forget you need the DSM mounting bracket, it doesn't come with it and 4 M5x14 screws to install it W506963S424.

You don't need an asbuilt for the DSM. If a truck w/ boards programs / PMIs it you're all set (will be plug and play into your truck. They issue is getting the initial software program onto it. The kick switch may need to be disabled, though I don't believe that's needed.
Sponsored

Last edited: