• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford needs to let us buy the pro with extended range

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I think its less about trying to force buyers to a more expensive trim and more about controlling production costs. In general, production is more costly the more trims, configurations(or options) you offer.
This is certainly true for a lot of cases. Perhaps the most extreme is Tesla, who offer only a handful of physical options on the 3/Y : motors (1 or 2), interior color (black or white), just 5 paint colors, 1-2 wheel options... that's about it besides brakes/suspension on the Performance models. I don't like it, personally, because then tons of people have the same exact car (and the color palette is trash), which is boring, but it certainly simplifies production.

That said, the biggest locked option on the Lightning and the topic of this thread can't be explained away by production simplification, because they are still building the Pro ER, they just won't let retail buyers buy it. It seems pretty obvious that it's either just to force people into more expensive trims in order to get the ER battery, or to force people to stick to the smaller battery which leaves more batteries for higher-trim vehicles... or both.

It's a good decision from a profit standpoint, because I think they'll have no trouble selling plenty the higher margin, higher-trim versions and maxing out production. So, I get it as a shareholder, but it's disappointing as a reservation holder.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Skynetf150

Skynetf150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 5.0 customized
Occupation
Construction
I'll probably just wait a year or 2 until all of them come standard with the bigger battery to buy one I'm not paying 62k just to get more horsepower and range vs 39k, my current 2019 f150 5.0 cost 29k brand new I don't care about leather or moon roof or carpeted floors.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
The PRO is a loss-leader....
Ford did say it was profitable, even at $40,000

I made a CT reservation dispite it’s look, not because of it (it has grown on me over time though) and I agree with OP that once you are in $50K range, CT is a better deal.

The PROs of the base PRO over CT1 for me:
  • More usable bed design and flat roof.
  • full size spare tire
  • Dual motor / 4WD
  • a body and design that has been around (existing after market mods and easy to work on)
  • Don’t have to worry about TESLA haters shooting at my door or throwing rocks at my windows.
  • CT1 is a low priority truck for Tesla that will come online late or may never be built. PRO is more likely.

The PROs of CT2 over XLT at $50K:
  • 6.5 foot bed
  • 300+ mile range
  • Adjustable suspension with great ground clearance
  • 3000 Ib payload
  • holds 6 people
  • Tesla charging network
  • I expect it to be more efficient at high speed with aerodynamic top and bottom.
  • Glass roof
  • standard auto bed cover and tailgate ramp
  • No paint scratches and polishing to worry about
  • If 4680 battery pans out, it may have a million mile battery.
  • A lot of goodies like 4 wheel steering that does not exist or come only as option in lightening.
  • I am not sure if the though body and glass is a Pro or Con yet.
As is, I probably end of with a base Pro simply because it will most likely be available to me earlier.
Tesla said they'll be opening their network to other manufacturers later this year or next.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Tesla said they'll be opening their network to other manufacturers later this year or next.
If only Elon's twits had the power to make this happen. There are lots of logistic issues that need to be solved before you can charge your lightning at a supercharger.

OP
OP
Skynetf150

Skynetf150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 5.0 customized
Occupation
Construction
If only Elon's twits had the power to make this happen. There are lots of logistic issues that need to be solved before you can charge your lightning at a supercharger.
It will happen ha how do you think it couldn't? U just need an adapter. Biden already gave tesla a bunch of money but they have to open there superchargers to all other evs

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I am guessing it is either motivated by some potential Federal infrastructure money or just an additional source of revenue during idle times. With all the Tesla owners that now have to stand in line to charge in some locations, there must be creative pricing for none Tesla owners especially during high demand times to keep owning a Tesla an advantage while milking more profit from reselling power at idle times. In short, I think it will keep none Tesla EVs from being stranded but in practice, it may not be their first choice.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It will happen ha how do you think it couldn't? U just need an adapter. Biden already gave tesla a bunch of money but they have to open there superchargers to all other evs
First you'll need an adapter which will be super clunky, super slow, super expensive. See the Tesla to CCS charger adapter. Then you need to develop and deploy a way to pay for charging. The superchargers were not designed to accept payment from non-Teslas. This will take years.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
First you'll need an adapter which will be super clunky, super slow, super expensive. See the Tesla to CCS charger adapter. Then you need to develop and deploy a way to pay for charging. The superchargers were not designed to accept payment from non-Teslas. This will take years.
The payment part... As long as the supercharging station can communicate with the car in the same fashion that an electrify america or ev go station does, then you will just use an app to setup your payment account and initiate charging.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The payment part... As long as the supercharging station can communicate with the car in the same fashion that an electrify america or ev go station does, then you will just use an app to setup your payment account and initiate charging.
But I don't think that superchargers do communicate in the same way as EA. And that app, doesn't yet exist. Also when EA charging fails, there is a screen that sorta tells you what happened, Superchargers don't have a screen. I suppose some chinese company could half-ass it as was done with Tesla to CCS charging adapter, but I don't think too many people want to pay hundreds of dollars for that.

OP
OP
Skynetf150

Skynetf150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 5.0 customized
Occupation
Construction
But I don't think that superchargers do communicate in the same way as EA. And that app, doesn't yet exist. Also when EA charging fails, there is a screen that sorta tells you what happened, Superchargers don't have a screen. I suppose some chinese company could half-ass it as was done with Tesla to CCS charging adapter, but I don't think too many people want to pay hundreds of dollars for that.
They don't need a screen you have one in the car that tells you everything

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They don't need a screen you have one in the car that tells you everything
Really!? Mine just gives me one of those idiot light messages, like service vehicle soon.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Deep down, Tesla is a software company. They can roll out the app very quickly. I'd have to research it a lot more, and I don't know if there is information about the Tesla side of vehicle to charger communication. However, if it is a software limitation and not a hardware limitation then I believe that Tesla should be able to roll out updates to the supercharger network fairly quickly.
If Tesla believes that it will be financially in their best interest to allow other brands of electric vehicles to access the supercharger stations, then they will make it happen. If they just want the network to be "open" to qualify for government subsidies but noone actually use itz, then this is what will happen.
One additional unknown is what the government will make them do as qualifications for receiving the tax money.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Did I fall out of the Ford forum into a Tesla universe in this thread? WTF? lol seriously though, comparing how 2 completely different companies operate is like the difference between Microsoft and Apple.

Sure they do similar things for similar reasons with similar components but there's no way you could ever mistake one with the other in any way shape or form when it comes to business strategy and implementation.

This thread is a trainwreck of off topic beyond belief.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
This is the model that will sell best. If this model isn't available to none fleet buyers than the Tesla cybertruck is a much better deal. Waiting on Ford to change their mind before I order one.
I'm obviously confused, outside of not being a sedan, four wheels and being electric are the lightning and the cyber truck really competitors? I just don't get how a vehicle that was announced what, three years ago and still doesn't exist and the lightning keep coming up in the same conversations, let's compare the Bentley and the Hyundai, they're both four door sedans, and good luck with that phone call to Bill Ford telling him "what He's gotta do!" and how your market research is far more realistic than the millions of dollars he's spent making the decisions he's made about which to sell and why! sigh, putting my soapbox away...
Sponsored