Sponsored

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Can someone answer why there is such a big difference between Remaining payload and Remaining GCW under capabilities as configured. How can you have so much remaining GCW but not much remaining payload.
Sponsored

Fordtough30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I have max tow and am rated at 13,900 lbs, everything else is accurate as well. Good find!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
It says I have a Lariat with a 6.5 foot bed.

I don't.
That is NOT good news... Is your window sticker available yet? You had better look up your VIN on the ford tracker and scan alllllll the specs. One of my dealers missed an option that I very specifically had on the build sheet I approved.

Could be dealer sent you wrong VIN, or screwed up your order!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Can someone answer why there is such a big difference between Remaining payload and Remaining GCW under capabilities as configured. How can you have so much remaining GCW but not much remaining payload.
This is exactly what all experts on these forums have been saying about the F150's towing capability being bogus or a moot point, because you run out of payload WAY before you can ever come close to the GCVWR. This is pretty much normal unless you get a beast of an Ecoboost XL or an HDPP.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
That is NOT good news... Is your window sticker available yet? You had better look up your VIN on the ford tracker and scan alllllll the specs. One of my dealers missed an option that I very specifically had on the build sheet I approved.

Could be dealer sent you wrong VIN, or screwed up your order!
Okay, now I feel stupid.

The last vin in my clip app was not mine. ?

Mine does show correctly!

Sponsored

Moz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 502a 3.5l Ecoboost Avalanche
I know this is probably way over my head but can anyone shed some light on why an identically configured 3.5l Ecoboost has over 400lb of payload capacity more than the 2.7l ?

Not an engineer, but I would have assumed payload would be defined by things like brakes and springs which would be the same.

OP
OP

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
I know this is probably way over my head but can anyone shed some light on why an identically configured 3.5l Ecoboost has over 400lb of payload capacity more than the 2.7l ?

Not an engineer, but I would have assumed payload would be defined by things like brakes and springs which would be the same.
It’s because the GVWR on the 2.7 is about 300lb less than the 3.5. Why that is I am uncertain.

ryken

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Sport; '19 Honda Odyssey
This is exactly what all experts on these forums have been saying about the F150's towing capability being bogus or a moot point, because you run out of payload WAY before you can ever come close to the GCVWR. This is pretty much normal unless you get a beast of an Ecoboost XL or an HDPP.
We looked at RAMs too before buying our F-150, and they were just as bad with payload. My minivan has about the same payload as my F-150. Most trucks here (mine included) are basically luxury vehicles that can do some light towing, and that's it.

clayjoe

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost Antimatter Blue two-tone
Occupation
Teacher
Mine says Remaining GCW is 11,000 remaining, but my max trailer weight is 7000. I have a PB XLT 302A with the tow technology and a class iv hitch. does this mean I have to keep it at 7000 or can I get to the GCW?

Sponsored

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Playing around with this tool really confirms my thoughts on the Max Tow Package. On a Lariat or above trim with the Power Boost, I see absolutely no advantage over the regular towing. When adding a larger trailer, I run out of payload way before I get near the tow capacity so the Max Tow does not help. The regular tow package is 11,000 which is already huge and I honestly would not want to tow that much with a F150 anyway. I understand everyone had different needs and some are willing to go beyond the limits but I'm very pleased that I didn't spend the extra for something I cant use.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
It's still very useful for those of us who don't have a lot of payload in the truck. For example, I pull a horse trailer and usually drive alone. All the weight is in the trailer, so payload isn't as much of an issue for me as towing capacity.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Very awesome they did this, would have been much more helpful when I was shopping around, but my payload is coming in around where I was hoping/expecting at 1563lbs payload. They should have this built in with the build and price tool, so you can see these numbers based on the options selected, at least roughly, would have made the purchasing process much faster. I had to wait to see real payload stickers for configurations I was considering before buying. I would have bought a month earlier if this information was available sooner.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Mine says Remaining GCW is 11,000 remaining, but my max trailer weight is 7000. I have a PB XLT 302A with the tow technology and a class iv hitch. does this mean I have to keep it at 7000 or can I get to the GCW?
What that means is your truck load reached it's limit because of payload. If you put a trailer behind it with an axle in the from and one in the back, i.e. a hay trailer with zero tongue weight you can pull the full 13,900.

clayjoe

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost Antimatter Blue two-tone
Occupation
Teacher
What that means is your truck load reached it's limit because of payload. If you put a trailer behind it with an axle in the from and one in the back, i.e. a hay trailer with zero tongue weight you can pull the full 13,900.
This is with no trailer or payload weight.
Ford F-150 Ford Launches VIN Specific Calculator!  See your F-150's exact payload, GVWR, GCWR, and more! F-150 Vehicle Spec 0lb.JPG

This is what it says after I put the hypothetical 7000lb trailer. The remaining numbers on the bottom left are still quite high.
Ford F-150 Ford Launches VIN Specific Calculator!  See your F-150's exact payload, GVWR, GCWR, and more! F-150 Vehicle Spec.JPG

What is stopping someone from adding another say 2000 lbs to the trailer as shown below?
Ford F-150 Ford Launches VIN Specific Calculator!  See your F-150's exact payload, GVWR, GCWR, and more! F-150 Vehicle Spec 9000lb.JPG
Sponsored