First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Seems like they took the lookup feature down. Hopefully it comes back.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Yep it’s down. That was short lived.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Thought I was doing something wrong for I could not find it either. Then I got to the end of the thread and find out why.

That sucks, I never got to see mine.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
I posted a Q to the Ford Fleet folks, asking how to source the VIN Calculator given its link no longer functioned. Here's the response I got:

"Thank you for your interest in the Ford Fleet Live Towing Calculators. This functionality is currently unavailable while we undergo maintenance and improvements. Thank you for your understanding."

My "understanding" is that 'maintenance' is not likely to be needed on the calculator itself since it's a discrete piece of code that was functioning just fine. 'Improvements'? Couldn't you build improvements into the code while concurrently continuing the offer the service to customers who are accessing it? Sounded like a fishy, corporate boiler plate non-response to me. Disappointed.

Jack

Antec900

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 and soon 2021 F-150
Occupation
retired
This is game changing. Ford has published a site where you can find out specific information about a truck by entering its VIN#. RAM has had this for awhile and it is extremely useful. Now you can find a truck configured the same or similar to the one you are thinking about purchasing and see what its exact specifications are.

https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator

Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 4.23.19 PM.png
I can no longer get that web site to show me the VIN Calculator. It isn't on any of the links that I see on that website. Was the VIN Calculator taken down? How do I get to the VIN Calculator?

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
I can no longer get that web site to show me the VIN Calculator. It isn't on any of the links that I see on that website. Was the VIN Calculator taken down? How do I get to the VIN Calculator?
It was removed for unknown reasons. Ford says maintenance and improvements, but that's just conjecture at this point.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I concur with those who feel that it’s a sales related decision.

Seeing as how it was on the Ford Fleet website, it was never seen as a tool for regular users.

When buyers try to educate themselves and discover that the most ordered and produced trims and configurations have payload numbers little better than a minivan, I’m sure that they took the search down fairly quickly.

One of the worst examples of vehicles with poor payload is the Tacoma, many of them are at their GVWR after a bunch of bumpers, racks, skid plates and overlanding accessories are added. So any camping gear, bicycles or even a picnic basket will make them overweight. Meanwhile, you can get a Hilux on the international market with a nearly 1 ton payload all day.

We can mainly blame EPA regs for hobbling the light truck segment, however the buyers themselves deserve a close second for purchasing them. Simply look on their respective forums to see that 4Runner and Tacoma owners have simply resigned themselves to breaking the law any time they go on a road trip loaded up while sharing notes on how much overweight is acceptable.

Another possibility is that the lawyers made them take it down.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I think Ford's line of maintenance and improvements holds the most water. The rest of the idea of it being a sales liability or lawyers or whatever can pretty easily be tossed out when you face the fact that most large Ford dealers have a giant display where you can do exactly what that tool did. If Ford was worried about people learning payload numbers they wouldn't be putting the thing in the showrooms. I know that isn't quite as exciting, but it makes a bit more sense.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
I concur with those who feel that it’s a sales related decision.

Seeing as how it was on the Ford Fleet website, it was never seen as a tool for regular users.

When buyers try to educate themselves and discover that the most ordered and produced trims and configurations have payload numbers little better than a minivan, I’m sure that they took the search down fairly quickly.

One of the worst examples of vehicles with poor payload is the Tacoma, many of them are at their GVWR after a bunch of bumpers, racks, skid plates and overlanding accessories are added. So any camping gear, bicycles or even a picnic basket will make them overweight. Meanwhile, you can get a Hilux on the international market with a nearly 1 ton payload all day.

We can mainly blame EPA regs for hobbling the light truck segment, however the buyers themselves deserve a close second for purchasing them. Simply look on their respective forums to see that 4Runner and Tacoma owners have simply resigned themselves to breaking the law any time they go on a road trip loaded up while sharing notes on how much overweight is acceptable.

Another possibility is that the lawyers made them take it down.
Personally, I'm glad the EPA and other agencies around the world push vehicle manufacturers to reduce pollution because they wouldn't do it otherwise. Every industry has to live by some modest rules and that's a good thing. It's up to the industry to continually innovate and develop technological improvements within the regulatory framework. Consumers are going to pay ever increasing prices either way.

As for the reason Ford took the site down, I think you were right the first time. The payload numbers on the most common configurations are embarrassing, but they want consumers to continue buying those expensive high spec trucks.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Personally, I'm glad the EPA and other agencies around the world push vehicle manufacturers to reduce pollution because they wouldn't do it otherwise. Every industry has to live by some modest rules and that's a good thing. It's up to the industry to continually innovate and develop technological improvements within the regulatory framework. Consumers are going to pay ever increasing prices either way.

As for the reason Ford took the site down, I think you were right the first time. The payload numbers on the most common configurations are embarrassing, but they want consumers to continue buying those expensive high spec trucks.
I agree with you.

Ford should just consider their payload numbers "cosmetic" and not worry about customers being able to look up VINs or having the payload tool in the build and price configurator. Since they don't seem to be embarrassed by the rusty undercarriages, why would they be embarrassed by the payload numbers.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
I agree with you.

Ford should just consider their payload numbers "cosmetic" and not worry about customers being able to look up VINs or having the payload tool in the build and price configurator. Since they don't seem to be embarrassed by the rusty undercarriages, why would they be embarrassed by the payload numbers.
I suspect Ford probably doesn't care all that much. F series trucks will continue to be top sellers no matter what, and rightly so. It's not perfect by any means, but it is the best all around 1/2 ton, in my opinion, and the 2021 model is the best F150 yet.
Sponsored