Sponsored

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
This is awesome. Would have saved me a lot of time looking at that spreadsheet when I bought. I have one question after typing all my info in. I'm fairly new to towing so maybe this is common knowledge to everyone but me. When I enter my passenger weight, the little information button says REF: SAE J2807 assumes minimum 300 lbs. of passenger weight. For cargo input, it references the same SAE number and says it assumes 100 lbs. of cargo weight and 70 lbs. for a conventional hitch. Does anyone know what SAEJ2807 is? Does this mean that the max payload on the truck already has 470 lbs. of people/cargo figured into the GVWR? Thanks!

Picture of all my info is attached so you can see the message.
Ford F-150 Ford Launches VIN Specific Calculator!  See your F-150's exact payload, GVWR, GCWR, and more! Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 11.55.17 AM
Sponsored

Shorty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Contractor
Mine is accurate too. Great information to know. I knew I'd be limited to 7000lbs due to only getting the Class IV hitch but wasn't sure what I was capable of with a 5th wheel. Luckily this came out and shows I can up that to 9100 if I ever need more wiggle room. XL Powerboost
My truck also says 7k lbs but dealer told me to use online chart that says 11300. So the IV hitch is the bottle neck for trailering?

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2021 F-150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Project Manager
It’s because the GVWR on the 2.7 is about 300lb less than the 3.5. Why that is I am uncertain.
The 3.5 has a heavier/stronger frame. I believe it also has springs that can support more weight.

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
This is with no trailer or payload weight.
F-150 Vehicle Spec 0lb.JPG

This is what it says after I put the hypothetical 7000lb trailer. The remaining numbers on the bottom left are still quite high.
F-150 Vehicle Spec.JPG

What is stopping someone from adding another say 2000 lbs to the trailer as shown below?
F-150 Vehicle Spec 9000lb.JPG
Your truck has the tow technology package, so it is limited to 7,000 lbs tow rating. I guess there is nothing stopping someone from towing more than the truck specs, but if they do and something breaks on the truck, Ford will not cover the repair under warranty. Also there is personal liability if you are towing over specs and are in an accident.

Sponsored

Matthew2118

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fiesta, 2021 Ford F-150 XL Powerboost
My truck also says 7k lbs but dealer told me to use online chart that says 11300. So the IV hitch is the bottle neck for trailering?
Unfortunately I think most dealers don't do their homework and just vomit stats to people. On that chart at the bottom it has disclaimers if you're reading it from Ford it states with only the class IV hitch you should not exceed 7K trailer weight. If you have tow package or max tow you can hit those numbers on the chart.

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning,VolvoXC90T6, BMW1250RT
Occupation
Consultant
This is game changing. Ford has published a site where you can find out specific information about a truck by entering its VIN#. RAM has had this for awhile and it is extremely useful. Now you can find a truck configured the same or similar to the one you are thinking about purchasing and see what its exact specifications are.

https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator

Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 4.23.19 PM.png
nice, thanks for sharing, was accurate for current 2021 and my previous 2020

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Unfortunately I think most dealers don't do their homework and just vomit stats to people. On that chart at the bottom it has disclaimers if you're reading it from Ford it states with only the class IV hitch you should not exceed 7K trailer weight. If you have tow package or max tow you can hit those numbers on the chart.
Does anyone know what the Tow Pkg adds that allows the truck to tow the extra 4000#? (my dealer thinks it includes nothing more and may just be a spec item with Ford)
At least in the Powerboost/tow Tech truck it seems to include most (or ALL) of the items listed in the tow Pkg and maybe even the Max tow (other than brake upgrade)

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota 4Runner
My order got "picked up" this week according to my dealer rep (whatever that means).
When along the Ford build process is a VIN generated ?

Sponsored

rathbunr5

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 STX//2023 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Sales Manager at Torrington Ford
My 3.5 EB XLT with the 3.55 locker and trailer tow package is rated for 11,300 towing capability..... too bad I don’t tow anything ?

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Does anyone know what the Tow Pkg adds that allows the truck to tow the extra 4000#? (my dealer thinks it includes nothing more and may just be a spec item with Ford)
At least in the Powerboost/tow Tech truck it seems to include most (or ALL) of the items listed in the tow Pkg and maybe even the Max tow (other than brake upgrade)
The build & price lists a number of items that come with each but it does not list the items below.
Based on 2021 Ford F-150 Technical Specifications located here. You will need to scroll down to get the the 2021 F150 Specs documentBody Builder Advisory Service (fordbbas.com)

-Larger radiator core included with Trailer Tow. Specs silent with Max Trailer Tow so assume it is the same as Trailer Tow.

-Max Trailer Tow & HDPP get larger and thicker rear rotors.

-Stiffer 36 mm solid stabilizer bar is included with both Trailer Tow and Max Trailer Tow & HDPP. Others get a hollow one. Note this is from the initial release of the document. The current version (R1) says a 27 mm solid stabilizer bar included then in a foot note provides some exceptions but no longer references Tow packages.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
The build & price lists a number of items that come with each but it does not list the items below.
Based on 2021 Ford F-150 Technical Specifications located here. You will need to scroll down to get the the 2021 F150 Specs documentBody Builder Advisory Service (fordbbas.com)

-Larger radiator core included with Trailer Tow. Specs silent with Max Trailer Tow so assume it is the same as Trailer Tow.

-Max Trailer Tow & HDPP get larger and thicker rear rotors.

-Stiffer 36 mm solid stabilizer bar is included with both Trailer Tow and Max Trailer Tow & HDPP. Others get a hollow one. Note this is from the initial release of the document. The current version (R1) says a 27 mm solid stabilizer bar included then in a foot note provides some exceptions but no longer references Tow packages.
My dealer believes (and I have seen other references in this forum that the Powerboost includes those items with the exception of the brake upgrade which I understood to be related to the Max Tow - PB gets the larger radiator as a default)
Really dislike paying extra $1000 if it provides nothing :cool:

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
My dealer believes (and I have seen other references in this forum that the Powerboost includes those items with the exception of the brake upgrade which I understood to be related to the Max Tow - PB gets the larger radiator as a default)
Really dislike paying extra $1000 if it provides nothing :cool:
I hear ya. You are correct the Powerboost gets an upgraded radiator core.