Sponsored
OP
OP

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Personally, I'm glad the EPA and other agencies around the world push vehicle manufacturers to reduce pollution because they wouldn't do it otherwise. Every industry has to live by some modest rules and that's a good thing. It's up to the industry to continually innovate and develop technological improvements within the regulatory framework. Consumers are going to pay ever increasing prices either way.

As for the reason Ford took the site down, I think you were right the first time. The payload numbers on the most common configurations are embarrassing, but they want consumers to continue buying those expensive high spec trucks.
Doesn’t seem to bother RAM whose payload ratings are worse yet have had a similar site for a very long time.
Sponsored

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Was annoyed I couldn't find it and Why did they take the best feature to give consumers an idea of how different items impact payload?

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I believe the site was designed for commercial use but when regular people who thought they had 14000 lbs towing capacity 3000 lbs payload because of a tv commercial saw their actual numbers they got real pissed off and complained to Ford. So Ford did the easiest thing to do and removed said website thus eliminating complaints.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
So it's pretty much a year later and the payload calculator is still MIA, is anyone still buying Ford's "maintenance and improvements" line of BS?

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
So it's pretty much a year later and the payload calculator is still MIA, is anyone still buying Ford's "maintenance and improvements" line of BS?
Maybe the FMC bot will chime in and ask you for your VIN and dealer so they can look into it on their end.

Ford F-150 Ford Launches VIN Specific Calculator!  See your F-150's exact payload, GVWR, GCWR, and more! 200

Sponsored

Throwaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport
The API behind it is still active. Example:

https://prodcore2.programhq.support/ford/fleethub/api/FordPassAuth/TowData/1FTFW1RGXLFA13158

This returns the following JSON:

{"VIN":"1FTFW1RGXLFA13158","ModelYear":"2020","GVWR":"7050","GCWR":"14250","Payload":"1067","Max_Conventional":"7590","Max_5th":"0","Max_Gooseneck":"0","Package_Payload":"Base","Package_Towing":"Trailer Tow Package","Axle_Ratio_Name":"4.10 EL","Series":"F-150","GCWR_Gooseneck":"14250","Cab_Name":"SuperCrew","Box_Name":"5.5'","WD_Name":"4X4","Engine_Name":"3.5L EcoBoost V6","Wheel_Base":"145","Axle_Ratio":"4.10","Axle_Code":"L4","Curb_Weight":"5983","Package_Trim":"Raptor","RW_Name":"SRW","J2807":"370","J2807_Cargo":"70","J2807_Passengers":"370","Updated_Date":null,"Date_Created":null}

Replace the VIN at the end. Also, not sure if this has been noted, but there is a similar link called https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculatorDemo. It shows a similar calculator, but I'm not sure if there is any difference in the content. The VinCalculator URL path immediately returns. Looks like it is the same as the VinCalculator. They use the same component behind the scenes. There's also a Towing Calculator. Anywhere you see those "beforeEnter" functions they are returning. Rest assured that most of the times when functionality is removed from a site, it's just commented out or something put there to temporarily block it. It's very rarely removed fully :).

, {
path: "/Calculators",
name: "Calculators",
component: F,
beforeEnter: function(e, t, n) {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
path: "/VirtualAppointments",
name: "VirtualAppointments",
component: qo,
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
path: "/TowingCalculator",
name: "TowingCalculator",
component: ds,
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
path: "/VinCalculator",
name: "VinCalculator",
component: Ws,
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
path: "/TowingCalculatorDemo",
name: "TowingCalculatorDemo",
component: ds
}, {
path: "/VinCalculatorDemo",
name: "VinCalculatorDemo",
component: Ws
},

Last edited:

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

https://prodcore2.programhq.support/ford/fleethub/api/FordPassAuth/TowData/1FTFW1RGXLFA13158

{"VIN":"1FTFW1RGXLFA13158","ModelYear":"2020","GVWR":"7050","GCWR":"14250","Payload":"1067","Max_Conventional":"7590","Max_5th":"0","Max_Gooseneck":"0","Package_Payload":"Base","Package_Towing":"Trailer Tow Package","Axle_Ratio_Name":"4.10 EL","Series":"F-150","GCWR_Gooseneck":"14250","Cab_Name":"SuperCrew","Box_Name":"5.5'","WD_Name":"4X4","Engine_Name":"3.5L EcoBoost V6","Wheel_Base":"145","Axle_Ratio":"4.10","Axle_Code":"L4","Curb_Weight":"5983","Package_Trim":"Raptor","RW_Name":"SRW","J2807":"370","J2807_Cargo":"70","J2807_Passengers":"370","Updated_Date":null,"Date_Created":null}

Replace the VIN at the end. Also, not sure if this has been noted, but there is a similar link called https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculatorDemo. It shows a similar calculator, but I'm not sure if there is any difference in the content. The VinCalculator URL path immediately returns. Looks like it is the same as the VinCalculator. They use the same component behind the scenes. There's also a Towing Calculator. Anywhere you see those "beforeEnter" functions they are returning. Rest assured that most of the times when functionality is removed from a site, it's just commented out or something put there to temporarily block it. It's very rarely removed fully :).

, {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
}, {
},
Very good work! Thanks for posting that up...

uk_brewer

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Payload info is on the money. Just had my payload sticker emailed to me today.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150

, {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
Qc(e, t, n)
}
}, {
}, {
},
Does the truck have to be built? Tried it and it came up blank

Throwaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport
Does the truck have to be built? Tried it and it came up blank
Sorry, I'm not sure about that. I just found it on an article and got carried away. It does look like it just returns empty if the VIN doesn't match. I have a bronco sport, and it's vin returns nothing. I am assuming it has to be whatever F-150s that are loaded up into their DB for that API.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Here's what the URL in post #81 returned for my VIN (the returned text string reformatted to more readable columns using Excel):

Ford F-150 Ford Launches VIN Specific Calculator!  See your F-150's exact payload, GVWR, GCWR, and more! 1659580266777

No surprises in any of that odd assortment of data (no idea why it gives GCWR for Gooseneck only?)

Last edited:

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
It seems they are protecting the API now as I get the following message:

{"Message":"Authorization has been denied for this request."}

However, I noticed that if you go into your Ford Pass account (https://www.ford.com/support/towing-calculator), on the website, there is a Towing Calculator there now. However, the original literature that Ford delivered when I bought my truck (2021-F-150-Technical-Specs.pdf) doesn't agree with it, but it's close. Essentially, the Ford Pass towing calculator says for a conventional hitch:
  • Max Tongue Load: 1,145 LB
  • Max Trailer Rating: 11,450 LB

Whereas the document says my PowerBoost can tow 12,400 LB with the max tow package.
11,450 + 1,145 = 12,595, so I guess it's close.
But the payload in that same document says 1,830, which is not close to 1,445. That's usually explained as "options I purchased".

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Payload and GCWR is based on the configuration of the truck when it leaves the factory. Change the tires or add more leafsprings at the rear or lift the truck and the safe payload and towing capacity will change.

Many people change their tires or lift the truck or add load support in the form of Supersprings or airbags. The one limiting factor is the axle and the rest can safely be changed. The Ford Max Payload only adds two more leaf springs at the rear axle and the Max Tow adds a single additional leaf spring at the rear.

The main factors to consider for towing are the engine, the gears, and the capacity of the gas tank. When I was looking last year for a truck it was very difficult to find any that had the larger gas tank, something that cannot later be changed, and the people at the dealers were not including it even with the trucks with the tow package. The Max Tow package should include the 36-gal gas tank.

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Payload and GCWR is based on the configuration of the truck when it leaves the factory. Change the tires or add more leafsprings at the rear or lift the truck and the safe payload and towing capacity will change.

Many people change their tires or lift the truck or add load support in the form of Supersprings or airbags. The one limiting factor is the axle and the rest can safely be changed. The Ford Max Payload only adds two more leaf springs at the rear axle and the Max Tow adds a single additional leaf spring at the rear.

The main factors to consider for towing are the engine, the gears, and the capacity of the gas tank. When I was looking last year for a truck it was very difficult to find any that had the larger gas tank, something that cannot later be changed, and the people at the dealers were not including it even with the trucks with the tow package. The Max Tow package should include the 36-gal gas tank.
On my PowerBoost, the 30.6 gallon tank does roughly the same range as the 36 gallon tank.
In regards to the differences in payload, I think you're right. But, I haven't changed anything on my truck and the sticker was still much different than the sales literature documentation stated. Something I had to live with.

In regards to the max tow package, again, if you believe the "2021 Ford F-150 Technical Specifications" literature they change a little about the brakes too. The rear rotor/drum diameter is bigger. The rear swept area is also bigger, but I have no idea what this means.
Ford F-150 Ford Launches VIN Specific Calculator!  See your F-150's exact payload, GVWR, GCWR, and more! 1674837941060
Sponsored