Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
I have been reading other forums who have some dealership employees posting more information on the topic. Ford will still 'own' these vehicles and not charge any floorpan costs to the dealer. As they are still owned by Ford, there would be no tax to be paid as well.

In another forum they're (dealership) told that since these vehicles were incomplete, there was to be no showing of the vehicle to any potential customer as well. This may be due to the fact that all the plastic panels are not closed up and would look unsightly, who knows, but that they were forbidden from any demoing of the vehicle at all. I suspect dealerships like the one I use would keep them in the back row near where they used to keep the cars going to auction / waiting on service to get new parts.
They don’t go against the floor plan but the VIN has already been attached to a dealer. Unless Ford makes an unprecedented decision to reallocate these VINs to another dealer the trucks still are assigned to the ordering dealer. The trucks would all be complete in a matter of days. The fly in the ointment is the monumental task of transporting all of these trucks. It takes 20-30 days in transit for the production now. There is NO additional trucking. How does Ford plan to get them shipped?

Advertisement

Rapid Red

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Test driver
The installation of a chip is, Maybe simple. But the programming of the chip will be where you Need a Dealership involvement. Using there programming tool. I don’t think putting trucks on dealer lot is going to solved the problem.

Redskins5

First Name
Edward
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Government
They don’t go against the floor plan but the VIN has already been attached to a dealer. Unless Ford makes an unprecedented decision to reallocate these VINs to another dealer the trucks still are assigned to the ordering dealer. The trucks would all be complete in a matter of days. The fly in the ointment is the monumental task of transporting all of these trucks. It takes 20-30 days in transit for the production now. There is NO additional trucking. How does Ford plan to get them shipped?
They are using RAil a lot more to get them closer to the dealerships and then using trucks for the short halls. All trucks coming out of Dearborn to my dealer in Brunswick Ga used to always come by truck, Now they are shipping them by rail to Jacksonville Fla, about 70 miles south of here and then bringing them up by truck.

Redskins5

First Name
Edward
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Government
I ordered my truck last November and the latest expected delivery is the end of August…9 months! I’m for anything to help the process along. However, I do have some questions. Are the trucks drivable to get them on and off the rail cars etc. ? If only certain dealers participate in the program, how does Ford find and get those trucks out of the fields of thousands? What a friggen mess. 😑
They are not talking about shipping the ones that are already in the fields waiting to dealers, The article states that they will ship the new ones coming off the assembly lines to the dealers so that they could keep the plants running instead of shutting them down.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
They are using RAil a lot more to get them closer to the dealerships and then using trucks for the short halls. All trucks coming out of Dearborn to my dealer in Brunswick Ga used to always come by truck, Now they are shipping them by rail to Jacksonville Fla, about 70 miles south of here and then bringing them up by truck.
They ship them by rail to Virginia also. That’s what takes so long. 15-20 days on the train. A truck of vehicles to Virginia from Detroit takes 2 days.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
They are not talking about shipping the ones that are already in the fields waiting to dealers, The article states that they will ship the new ones coming off the assembly lines to the dealers so that they could keep the plants running instead of shutting them down.
Don’t think so. They are tired of paying storage. They may also ship newly produced but this push is for parked Ford is considering a new plan to alleviate the buildup of unfinished vehicles sitting in lots across the country as a result of the global semiconductor chip shortage. According to Automotive News, Ford is currently debating a proposal to ship vehicles that are still missing the chips to dealerships, shifting the onus for installing the chips—once supplies are replenished—onto the dealers. Ford has been manufacturing vehicles without the semiconductors and storing them in lots in several states, only sending them to dealerships once fresh stock arrived. However, the lots are filling up and Ford needs to make room so it can keep its factories running.

jafo

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Star white
The issue I see popping up with this is,
now the dealers will be paying taxes on inventory that is quarantined till
some unknown date.
Not sure I would want to store the inventory, pay the taxes and not be able to recover the loss by not being able to move it.
They don't. The dealers then have to pay insurance on these vehicles on their lots as well.

jafo

Reaction score
Vehicles
They ship them by rail to Virginia also. That’s what takes so long. 15-20 days on the train. A truck of vehicles to Virginia from Detroit takes 2 days.
15-20 days?

My truck as a build date of 7-6-2021(probably started long before). I purchased it on 7-17-2021.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
15-20 days?

My truck as a build date of 7-6-2021(probably started long before). I purchased it on 7-17-2021.
Most all in transit times are 12-28 days. Mine was completed 6/26. Trucks take less than 1 day span. Loaded on a car 6/27 in Dearborn arrived at Jessup rail yard in Maryland on 7/13. That’s 16 days in the railroads hands. 1 hour truck trip from the rail yard to the dealer in Virginia.

jafo

Reaction score
Vehicles
Most all in transit times are 12-28 days. Mine was completed 6/26. Trucks take less than 1 day span. Loaded on a car 6/27 in Dearborn arrived at Jessup rail yard in Maryland on 7/13. That’s 16 days in the railroads hands. 1 hour truck trip from the rail yard to the dealer in Virginia.
Okay, not sure I understand the transit times then. My Dealer told me they were offloaded from the train sitting in Winston Salem on 7-16. 10 days.

Arrolli

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Not sure how much stock I put in this, but my dealer just said my 4/20 build truck is being shipped to the dealership with no chip. Status is showing in production but with eta delivery of 8/20.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Okay, not sure I understand the transit times then. My Dealer told me they were offloaded from the train sitting in Winston Salem on 7-16. 10 days.
Oh, I am with you. I don’t understand it either. The Ford VP and I have had multiple long discussions about it. It makes no sense. She only explains it this way. FORD is run by unions. Transportation is run by the union. Train in general is cheaper and overall more efficient but much slower.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Oh, I am with you. I don’t understand it either. The Ford VP and I have had multiple long discussions about it. It makes no sense. She only explains it this way. FORD is run by unions. Transportation is run by the union. Train in general is cheaper and overall more efficient but much slower.
Those companies are run by CEO's and shareholders, the working class (that are union) have no say in this.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Those companies are run by CEO's and shareholders, the working class (that are union) have no say in this.
Keep telling yourself that. The tail wags the dog. Why do you think non union labor is in the boneyard installing these chips?

diesel97

First Name
rob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Still not sure what this has to do with a chip shortage?

Advertisement

Advertisement