xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
In April 2021 I ordered a new 2021 F-150 XLT Sport SuperCab. Surprisingly it was delivered to my dealer in 8 weeks. Everything was perfect and the truck was delivered to me on June 8, 2021.

I like all the technologies that are available on new vehicles. Ii added the new truck to my FordPass app on my phone. Immediately I received a FSA (Field Service Alert) concerning the Gateway Module re-flash.

I mentioned this to the service department and assumed it had something to do with the "chip shortage."

4 weeks later, I received a letter from Ford telling me to schedule an appointment for the re-flash.

Meanwhile my truck was operating as advertised with no issues. After the completion of the service I saw no change in how the truck performed.

I did have to delete the vehicle from FordPass, do a complete system reset, add the new vehicle and reprogram all my person preferences.

I was told the change is how the ECU data is made available to Ford.
You needing a re-flash wouldn’t have anything to do with the chip shortage, was likely just a bad version of code that got shipped out on a subset of trucks or something and they needed to get it updated.

Advertisement

Redskins5

First Name
Edward
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Government
Agree. Will be calling my dealer ASAP and letting them know that if my XLT shows up w/o some "chip", etc. it is waiting on THEN I, and I alone, will be installing it so that (A) I know WTF came up missing, (B) what it takes to install it (again and again) and (C) I won't need to get a Ford hunting license here in BC where you also have to wait years for a background check before being allowed to hunt for (or do just about) anything. If you think the USA lockdowns and inventory backlogs/deliveries, of just about anything, are bad you ain't seen nutt'n honey. LOL.
everyone needs to remember that even though you may have ordered that truck and may have put a deposit on it it belongs to ford and they can and will do what they want before it is sold.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer, 2019 Expedition, 2021 F150
Occupation
retired Ford employee
It goes far beyond just plugging a module in. It'll have to get married to the rest of the modules, likely with the use of a laptop, plus software-update. Not a big fan of the idea, but our technicians been doing just that all along to some extend. The 2021's just have an extra step or two, which the training mentioned will take care of.

GolfR

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR
I wouldn’t worry too much about the tech at the dealerships installing the boards. BTW, I’m sure it will be board assembly level install not component level level install onto boards. The dealership tech troubleshoot and replace these boards all the time because unfortunately, they do fail from time to time. My concern would be more about the actual schedule for those boards to be delivered to the dealerships given the uncertainty and continued delays that Ford has seen. On a positive note, this new plan could get trucks into customers hands weeks earlier than waiting until the boards arrive to ship them to dealers. If I were and executive at Ford, I would jump on this idea too.

GreggT

First Name
Gregg
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Screw, SRX Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
So in other words, Ford is tired of being harassed by their customers, much better to pass the buck to the dealers and let them take the heat and abuse1

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
I get what you are saying but just remember, the people in Detroit installing chips in the lots are non union, 3rd party contractors sourced from the lowest bidder. I would rather my dealer handle this as it gives me direct access to anyone that screws it up.
Jim Farley at his finest!

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
How about Ford renting out spaces across the US, Canada, and Mexico and ship the trucks there. Have dedicated technicians there to install when the semiconductors come in. Then roll the vehicles out, as soon as they are done. If the chips are installed in smaller groups according to dealership region, then load up a semi or two and send it out full quicker.
I'm all for them training me to install the chips and taking about $10K off the price!

Mikeg1906

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 7850 GVWR
Occupation
Truck Driver
a GM told me that ford doesn't have enough space anymore to hold all these trucks so they have 2 go dealers. I think dealers are probably happy to have far more units on their lots that they can begin showing people and working up deals on then rather than sitting around with only 2 trucks to show people now. I think this helps some problems while obviously raising some others as mentioned above- and I don't pretend to know how hard it is to instal a chip. is it perfect? no- is it at least helping, probably.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The issue I see popping up with this is,
now the dealers will be paying taxes on inventory that is quarantined till
some unknown date.
Not sure I would want to store the inventory, pay the taxes and not be able to recover the loss by not being able to move it.

busdriver

First Name
C
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Occupation
Pilot
I ordered my truck last November and the latest expected delivery is the end of August…9 months! I’m for anything to help the process along. However, I do have some questions. Are the trucks drivable to get them on and off the rail cars etc. ? If only certain dealers participate in the program, how does Ford find and get those trucks out of the fields of thousands? What a friggen mess. 😑

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Are the trucks drivable to get them on and off the rail cars etc. ?
This was one of the first things I was wondering back when someone had first hinted that Ford was considering this. I had actually assumed they weren't drivable in their current incomplete states, but I would think they'd really have to be to even consider doing this. No way they'd actually put in a chip to get it on a truck, ship the thing, then somehow get them back to Ford again. If they had enough chips to do that they wouldn't need to be doing this in the first place. I bet this is for trucks missing things they can be drive without, things like camera modules.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
This was one of the first things I was wondering back when someone had first hinted that Ford was considering this. I had actually assumed they weren't drivable in their current incomplete states, but I would think they'd really have to be to even consider doing this. No way they'd actually put in a chip to get it on a truck, ship the thing, then somehow get them back to Ford again. If they had enough chips to do that they wouldn't need to be doing this in the first place. I bet this is for trucks missing things they can be drive without, things like camera modules.
They are drivable without the missing chips. They unloaded them and parked them in various parking lots. I would bet the dealers willing to take the trucks and complete them would significantly reduce the number remaining to complete in the boneyard. Once a VIN is assigned a vehicle it belongs to the dealer. I don't see how Ford would ship trucks to another dealer to complete. I would bet very few dealers would refuse the deal. Ford has stated the time required to complete each truck is less than 1 hour.

stangsandatruck

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, (Ordered) 2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Software Engineer
The issue I see popping up with this is,
now the dealers will be paying taxes on inventory that is quarantined till
some unknown date.
Not sure I would want to store the inventory, pay the taxes and not be able to recover the loss by not being able to move it.
I have been reading other forums who have some dealership employees posting more information on the topic. Ford will still 'own' these vehicles and not charge any floorpan costs to the dealer. As they are still owned by Ford, there would be no tax to be paid as well.

In another forum they're (dealership) told that since these vehicles were incomplete, there was to be no showing of the vehicle to any potential customer as well. This may be due to the fact that all the plastic panels are not closed up and would look unsightly, who knows, but that they were forbidden from any demoing of the vehicle at all. I suspect dealerships like the one I use would keep them in the back row near where they used to keep the cars going to auction / waiting on service to get new parts.

Advertisement

Advertisement