First Name
Christian
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Camry SE
My concern would be what is affected from the missing chips. I don’t mind of HD radio is out(Bluetooth it), or if the rain sensing wipers aren’t ‘sensing.’ I’ll even accept no cylinder deactivation on the V8 I have on order or a remote tailgate.

However, if key things don’t work properly (center dash screen has issues, center console has issue, no remote start) then I’ll have a harder time accepting it. If they ship these incomplete units out I want a disclosure as to what won’t work properly.

Advertisement

diesel97

First Name
rob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
My concern would be what is affected from the missing chips. I don’t mind of HD radio is out(Bluetooth it), or if the rain sensing wipers aren’t ‘sensing.’ I’ll even accept no cylinder deactivation on the V8 I have on order or a remote tailgate.

However, if key things don’t work properly (center dash screen has issues, center console has issue, no remote start) then I’ll have a harder time accepting it. If they ship these incomplete units out I want a disclosure as to what won’t work properly.
The way I read it was they are shipping to dealers but the dealers are going to hold them until they get chips. I could be wrong who knows.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB

They definitely wouldn’t put these into the hands of customers without being complete. They would just be sitting at dealers while waiting for parts. Many of these missing modules may even be ones the trucks can’t even function without.

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
They definitely wouldn’t put these into the hands of customers without being complete. They would just be sitting at dealers while waiting for parts. Many of these missing modules may even be ones the trucks can’t even function without.
Agree, it would be insanity to hand over a new truck until it was completed.

one issue I see here that no one has touch3d on is: is this a voluntary program for the dealers or is it being forced upon them? If I was a dealer I would not want the liability of completing the build for Ford. This may lead to some dealers in and some not participating…

Also, as a Canadian would this scheme apply to Canadian dealers as well?

This may turn into a very ugly haves and have nots situation further alienating already pissed off customers.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4 / 2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I stopped into see my salesman yesterday and while my order will not be a part of this process, we were talking about it. He said while it is voluntary, if a dealer chooses to opt out they will be on the end of the list to receive dealer stock. The priority will be given to dealers who have stored trucks on the lots.

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
How about Ford renting out spaces across the US, Canada, and Mexico and ship the trucks there. Have dedicated technicians there to install when the semiconductors come in. Then roll the vehicles out, as soon as they are done. If the chips are installed in smaller groups according to dealership region, then load up a semi or two and send it out full quicker.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
What I don’t understand in all of this is I thought they literally just released the big press release saying their biggest priority is now putting together all these trucks and getting them out there, and from all the activity in the build week threads of trucks that got parked, it seems like they absolutely are cranking them out.

If they wanted to ship incomplete trucks they could have done that months ago. Also confusing is it seems recent builds have been a little slower to ship, some people citing shipping delays due to lack of available carriers. If they’re having trouble shipping what they’re getting done now, how in the world do they plan on suddenly releasing tens of thousands?

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The idea of training persons at the dealer to install chips is nuts. You just don't grab a circuit board and jam a missing chip in place. That type of manufacturing is very sophisticated and not something that could be ever done at a dealer site. More than likely a part, lets say a radio, is not finished at some manufacturing site and they are waiting for missing chips and can install them, finish the radio and get it shipped to the auto/truck factory to be installed.
If unfinished trucks were at the dealer they would wait for the finished radio to arrive and install it. The only way it could be done at the dealer site.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
They definitely wouldn’t be doing component level installations here, this must just be plug and play assemblies going into trucks. Nothing even in a Ford factory is doing that level work, they’re most definitely just getting completed assemblies/modules and installing those into trucks as they go down the line, or as they’re doing now, in a holding lot.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Customer will end up getting the short-end of the stick as always. I guess you can glare at it now every time you drive past the dealer while you wait 6+ months for the chips to arrive. You'll be able to tell which trucks are getting closer to being delivered to the customer by the amount of pollen and dust that has accumulated overtime.

MuffDiver

Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
They definitely wouldn’t be doing component level installations here, this must just be plug and play assemblies going into trucks. Nothing even in a Ford factory is doing that level work, they’re most definitely just getting completed assemblies/modules and installing those into trucks as they go down the line, or as they’re doing now, in a holding lot.
Agree. Will be calling my dealer ASAP and letting them know that if my XLT shows up w/o some "chip", etc. it is waiting on THEN I, and I alone, will be installing it so that (A) I know WTF came up missing, (B) what it takes to install it (again and again) and (C) I won't need to get a Ford hunting license here in BC where you also have to wait years for a background check before being allowed to hunt for (or do just about) anything. If you think the USA lockdowns and inventory backlogs/deliveries, of just about anything, are bad you ain't seen nutt'n honey. LOL.

UGADawg96

First Name
JRAB
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 PB 157 302a on order
I think some here are overreacting a bit to the story. Training someone to go under the dash, under the hood, behind the seat, or behind the bumper to connect a box between factory connectors is no different than when adding on features or troubleshooting issues. This isn't component level soldering. This effort is probably no more difficult than changing the cabin air filter.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I think some here are overreacting a bit to the story. Training someone to go under the dash, under the hood, behind the seat, or behind the bumper to connect a box between factory connectors is no different than when adding on features or troubleshooting issues. This isn't component level soldering. This effort is probably no more difficult than changing the cabin air filter.
I completely agree, not sure the huge concern here about that aspect of it. Keep in mind the people currently doing this are a group of third party mechanics running around the parking lot with backpacks of parts installing these things.

GlennBurge

First Name
Glenn
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Ford weighs shipping vehicles missing chips for dealerships to finish

Only dealers who would choose to receive the unfinished vehicles would get shipments and service technicians would be trained on how to install the chips.

Michael Martinez

m41465.jpg

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. is weighing plans to start shipping partially built vehicles that are awaiting semiconductors or related components to dealerships around the country, a move that, if approved, would place responsibility on its retail network to complete the assembly once the chips are available.

The automaker began detailing the plans, which are not final, to some of its dealers this week, according to four people with knowledge of the discussions. Only dealers who would choose to receive the unfinished vehicles would get shipments and service technicians would be trained on how to install the chips, one of the people said. Dealerships would be compensated for slightly less than an hour's worth of labor for each vehicle, the person said.

Still unclear is whether the dealers would be responsible for the vehicles while they sit on their lots awaiting chips. Dealers are not expected to have to floorplan the vehicles before they're finished, one person said. The people asked not to be identified discussing internal company plans.

Ford is considering shifting its strategy, the people said, to ease the glut of unfinished vehicles piling up on company-owned lots around the country so it can keep assembly plants running. By essentially moving the vehicles now, Ford would be able to get them into customers' hands more quickly once the chips are ready instead of having to ship vehicles en masse at a later date.

“We are exploring a number of different options as we work to get our customers and dealers their new vehicles as quickly as possible," a Ford spokesman said.

Some dealers who spoke with Automotive News said they're concerned about shifting the responsibility — and potential liability — from the factory to the dealer body. Others, however, applauded the move because it gives them something to put on their nearly empty lots.

Ford has been hit hard by the chip crisis, saying earlier this year that the shortage will cost it $2.5 billion and slash its production this year by 1.1 million vehicles. Dealer lots have dried up, and customers who placed orders have been forced to wait months.

In late April, Ford said it had 22,000 partially built vehicles awaiting chips. It's unclear how much that number has grown.

The company has attempted to ease the crisis by focusing on custom-built orders and offering buyers $1,000 off if they place an order that will be fulfilled at a later date.

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/ford-weighs-shipping-vehicles-missing-chips-dealerships-finish
I completely agree, not sure the huge concern here about that aspect of it. Keep in mind the people currently doing this are a group of third party mechanics running around the parking lot with backpacks of parts installing these things.
l also agree as the installation of a chip is likely a simple insertion into a slot which can be done by almost anyone that knows where the slot is. No wiring. No soldering.

HossPower98

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT, 2019 Escape SEL, 1998 Mustang GT
Occupation
Retired
In April 2021 I ordered a new 2021 F-150 XLT Sport SuperCab. Surprisingly it was delivered to my dealer in 8 weeks. Everything was perfect and the truck was delivered to me on June 8, 2021.

I like all the technologies that are available on new vehicles. Ii added the new truck to my FordPass app on my phone. Immediately I received a FSA (Field Service Alert) concerning the Gateway Module re-flash.

I mentioned this to the service department and assumed it had something to do with the "chip shortage."

4 weeks later, I received a letter from Ford telling me to schedule an appointment for the re-flash.

Meanwhile my truck was operating as advertised with no issues. After the completion of the service I saw no change in how the truck performed.

I did have to delete the vehicle from FordPass, do a complete system reset, add the new vehicle and reprogram all my person preferences.

I was told the change is how the ECU data is made available to Ford.

Advertisement

Advertisement