Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Ford idles F-150 truck plant through Sunday due to global chip shortage
By Reuters Staff

DETROIT (Reuters) -Ford Motor Co said on Thursday it will idle production of its highly profitable F-150 pickup truck at a plant in Michigan through Sunday due to the global semiconductor chip shortage.

Ford and other automakers have stressed they are trying to protect production of its most profitable vehicles, but the loss of even some full-sized pickups shows the shortage has hit Ford where it least wants.

Ford’s Dearborn, Michigan, plant will be idled from Friday through Sunday, and resume work on Monday. A spokeswoman declined to say how much volume would be lost.

The No. 2 U.S. automaker previously said it would assemble its flagship F-150 truck without certain parts and hold them for a “number of weeks” until they can be completed and shipped.

Ford said the latest action is part of its prior forecast that the chip shortage could shave $1 billion to $2.5 billion off its 2021 profits.

The chip shortage came as North American auto plants were shut for two months during the COVID-19 pandemic last year and chip orders were canceled, and as demand surged from the consumer electronics industry as people worked from home and played video games. That has now left carmakers competing for chips.

Semiconductors are used extensively in cars, including to monitor engine performance, manage steering or automatic windows, and in sensors used in parking and entertainment systems.

On Wednesday, Ford said it would cut output this week of the Transit van at its Kansas City, Missouri, assembly plant due to the shortage. Production of the flagship F-150 pickup at the plant is not affected.
Sponsored

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Why do I have a feeling this is why my 3/17 blend / 3/19 production truck went from ETA of 4/10 to my dealer to ETA of 'unknown'. I think this happened to a bunch of 3/15 orders...

mnsunset

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150/1965 Mustang
Occupation
Self Employed
I feel for you guys still waiting.....Now I would worry about trucks being shipped with missing parts. What part can they not install on the line, then push the truck out and bring back to install anyway?
They have a tough enough job getting it right when they have all the parts in front of them.

bobstar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Why do I have a feeling this is why my 3/17 blend / 3/19 production truck went from ETA of 4/10 to my dealer to ETA of 'unknown'. I think this happened to a bunch of 3/15 orders...
Same thing happened to me blend date3/15 build Day 3/18, I believe it was built 3/21, then ETA 4/23 dropped off the radar

Sponsored

mattchops

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Dang - not good. I currently have a build date early April. Guessing that’s not going to hold now

Mountaineer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'03 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Environmental
I'm another with a 3/15 build week and a disappearing ETA. I ordered mine last month, so I don't have as much right to complain as many on the forum. There are certainly many people that should be seeing trucks before I do. I hope there is a solution to this shortage soon.

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
Hope these shutdowns stay in MI and don’t affect the KC plant

Sponsored

r-model

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT with some goodies, 2021 F150 XLT 302A Velocity Blue (ordered)
Occupation
designer
Crap, I have a blend date of today (March 26th) guess it now might be what, Tuesday of next week or is that next year????

dgrizz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 escape, 2018 f150 king ranch, 2021 f150 king
Occupation
Retired
Ordered 18 sept. Blend date of 3/17, still in production. No ETA!
189 Days! Damn Ford I'm an old man.
I think I'll get cremated so my wife can still haul my ashes.

F150 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Paint Horse
I am really bummed about this. I was hoping for a May delivery because I have an early April build day. I am thinking this wont be the last idling of the production line. I guess I should readjust and hope for a July delivery now. :confused:

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Facilities Manager
Same thing happened to me blend date 3/05, I shows it was built 3/08, then ETA 3/23 changed to 4/20 now is TBD, no longer comes up on PALP's site and cant pull window sticker.

I ordered in Nov and now seem to be in delay purgatory.

r-model

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT with some goodies, 2021 F150 XLT 302A Velocity Blue (ordered)
Occupation
designer
Same thing happened to me blend date 3/05, I shows it was built 3/08, then ETA 3/23 changed to 4/20 now is TBD, no longer comes up on PALP's site and cant pull window sticker.

I ordered in Nov and now seem to be in delay purgatory.
time to start to get on your dealers case, sometimes they have more information they can pass on
Sponsored